danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
Hi,

I am currently using an iPod touch 3rd Generation with 32gb of hard drive space. It is starting to get a little bit slow and it seems to slow down further with each new OS update. I was wondering if I could jailbreak it and as a result of following some sort of steps or guidelines increase the performance of my device.

Thanks,
DanWeb

yuuna

Hello, this is turtle.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i have the same ipod touch, jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1

what iOS version are you using?
i dont think jailbreaking can improve performance, but it extends a lot of features.

you can try closing the stand by apps as well to reduce the RAM usage. i dont suggest more than 2 applications in ipod touch.

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpringBoard Settings is a very useful app you can download for free via Cydia that'll allow you to quickly turn on/off things you'd have to hunt through settings to do normally. No more leaving wifi on and draining the battery! Same applies for killing processes quickly to save battery, changing brightness, etc. But in terms of actually making games and stuff run faster... there's not really anything I can suggest. Sorry.

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
i have the same ipod touch, jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1

what iOS version are you using?
i dont think jailbreaking can improve performance, but it extends a lot of features.

you can try closing the stand by apps as well to reduce the RAM usage. i dont suggest more than 2 applications in ipod touch.

I am running iOS 5.1.1 and it is very slow just functioning as an operating system. Moving from one page to another can be a 3 second task.

yuuna

Hello, this is turtle.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
delete unncessary files/apps and try to close every app everytime you done using. try to restart your ipod and see if it is still slow.

my other suggestion is you might want to restore the iOS if the problem still persist (or downgrade it if you have jailbroken it before) (dont restore settings / previous sync back up).

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
I do shut all apps. I only have 3 apps open at any one time maximum, but I also have 341 applications installed.

I think I will do a restore. Thank you everyone for your help. :D

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can remove scripts that use up memory and cpu from a jailbroken device. The scripts have the .plist file extension, and should not be touched unless you know what you're doing.

Older iDevices like the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, and iPad 1 honestly don't really have the power to effectively run on iOS 5, which is a sizable part of the reason why two of the three aren't going to support iOS 6 (the other main reason being because it pressures consumers to purchase new devices). They were designed for iOS 3, but they also work perfectly on iOS 4. When iOS 5 came along, quite a few features were added (like Notification Center) on top of the already memory-intensive feature introduced in iOS 4, folders, and the older devices have trouble keeping up. If at all possible, I would suggest you downgrade your iPod to an iOS 4 release, but this is impossible if you don't have your SHSH blobs saved,** then replacing missed features with Cydia tweaks. If not, look into removing the useless or unimportant .plists from your iDevice using iFile, SSH, or some other sort of application that can search through jailbroken iDevices (iExplorer is an amazing application). Google is your friend.

Also, keep in mind the way RAM works on iDevices. Clearing it manually is essentially pointless, as the iDevice does so automatically whenever it needs to. Closing backgrounded apps is purely placebotic because iOS does this automatically any time it needs to. It's not like a PC that will just leave something running forever for no reason unless you close it yourself. Also worth noting is that backgrounded apps usually don't do anything in the background. They tend to just sit there, frozen. However, having a very large number of apps installed will cause slow-down, regardless of whether or not you even use them.

**I could be wrong in saying this, but can't iFaith rip any SHSH blobs from a device, assuming that device was at one point on that firmware and is susceptible to the limera1n exploit? I haven't used iFaith, but I know of its uses, and I remember reading an ambiguously worded article on it when it was released to the public. I think it can only rip the SHSH blob from the iDevice for the firmware version the iDevice is currently running, but I could be wrong.

S

SixSenseEagle

I Remember I jailbroke my ipod 1 gen, then I tryed to delete everything cause it was acting up, and it F@#% up (Sigh) Good times... Good times :grog: And then I use my dad (Nonjailbroken) iphone 4g, and updated to the current version danweb using, and my dad lost like 2gb out of 8gb now he have 6 out of 6... but not-no more since he sold it, I was gonna name it Domo :(.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-