J-Manga: Success of Failure?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by smile72, Oct 10, 2011.

Oct 10, 2011

J-Manga: Success of Failure? by smile72 at 6:58 AM (1,026 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    In your opinion do you think the new website J-Manga aimed at combating manga piracy is a success or failure? If you think it's a failure, explain why?

2. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    The premise is excellent. The execution? Not so much. The point system is somewhat convoluted, ontop of a rather slim selection overall. Essentially, they're trying a bit too hard to "combat piracy".
    People are too use to going to horrible places like a certain fox to even think about paying for the medium. Readers don't care about quality, let alone who does it. They only care about the end result and how little steps it takes for them to get it.
    If you overcomplicate the process, like they did, they'll just return to the same methods they've always done for ages.

Also don't go lounging around a book store, with a stack of manga, like it's your house. That's disgusting.

3. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    That's what I thought, the problem is not enough selection, especially among the most popular such as Shuseisha or Kodansha, and what is there is mostly available legally or questionably. I mean most of what they offer for sale can be gotten questionably for free. I mean fine they offer some Josei and a little Seinen that can't be read otherwise in English but nonethless, I consider it a failure. They made it up to be so awesome and disappointed so heavily. It's been a month I deem it a failure.

4. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I tried accessing the site but it's blocked in Australia. Mind telling me what they're doing?

5. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Selling manga digitally. It's only available in the U.S. and Canada though.

6. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    I checked the site. It's a joke. Most hardcore American fans are going to look up the original unedited version of a manga. Not pay for a heavily edited version by some petty corporation.

7. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    A lot are unedited just not available, some shounen titles will just exchange words to make it nicer.

8. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I'm deciding to bump this thread,as it has been a half of a year, and now I can honestly say with wholeheartedness this is an utter failure. Anyone care to disagree?

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I've never heard of it, so... failure on that basis?

10. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    This is so much of a failure I can't even find that manga source on Mango (manga-reading app for Android).

11. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Not just that, but it's selection is pretty awful. The big publishers(Shueisha,Kodansha,Shogakukan) which made it out to be super duper awesome, haven't put out anything.

12. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Yea other sites are still better choices than this. Sorry but I hardly find this will take off anytime soon.

13. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    The site looks like complete shit, they don't have anything anyone I know would want, and it's godawful to use. It lacks features that make me want to pay for manga rather than just pirate it.
    If I'm paying for manga it's because I like the series, I want to support the artist, and I want to have a copy of the series on my shelf that I can drag out and read without using anything that requires electricity. I'd buy way more manga if they actually translated series I read, too.

14. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    While the site was practically worthless and way too small and not at all very appealing, I did end up finding a new manga that is marvelous.

15. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Which one? And did you buy it? Or get it from another site?

16. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    For the most part my comment from months ago still stands. The same question remains though: Why would I go there, with such a 'limited' selection, and also pay, when I could just go to insert manga aggregate site here and read from a way larger selection, for free!

Well it works in the same sense that Crunchyroll is also successful, when all they do is provide streams. You just pay money for content you don't really own. They call it "The Future" or something.

If it was a downright failure they would be long gone already, and not constantly adding new series like they are now. (Licensing them costs money obviously.) Which, I may add, have been some rather excellent series that would have never been 'localized' had it not been thanks to this website. Sure, if you don't like said series, it will come off as a failure to you, but that's how things are. Some people are just not savvy enough to know how to read manga "illegally", and some just want to support a cause.

The North American manga localization scene is rather trash for a myriad of different reasons anyway, that's why Tokyopop no longer exists, and such websites arise.