Iwata is indifferent on modern games (interview)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by shinkodachi, Dec 27, 2014.

1. shinkodachi
    OP

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Title is a bit misleading (perhaps). Should've stated Iwata is indifferent on modern games. :)

Translation from the 'GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959746

Interesting interview. This catched my eye:
    I guess something like The Last of Us would've been too much for Iwata to handle. Other bits and pieces in the interview that are very interesting, I recommend clicking the original link.

What do you think?

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Where does he say that he "hates" modern games? Stop making up things and posting them as facts, especially not as a thread title.

3. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    How else do you interpret the quote I posted?

Friendsxix likes this.
  4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I interpret it the same way I interpret my grand parents saying tv shows arent what they used to be. Dude be getting old, and reminiscing

5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The one thing I dislike about modern games is that they're all too samey, don't focus much on gameplay and try to be more like films than actual games (no David Cage you make games not movies!).

grossaffe and Eity like this.
  6. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Hate is a strong word, and from what he said in the interview he definitely didn't express hate towards modern games. Heck, he didn't even dislike them. All what he said is that few people don't remember story moments (does this mean he hates those games?) and players skip cutscenes (again, does this specifically mean he hates those games?). Last but not least he said he don't want to dismiss cutscenes completely, but reduce them. So where is the hate in his statements?

GHANMI likes this.
  7. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Okay, that can be true. (Translation may also affect how the message comes across.)

Allow me to clarify what I'm thinking though:
    Here Iwata is just saying that cutscenes are a waste of development resources, implying games could be better without cutscenes. (Also possible, and he goes on to say that he doesn't dismiss cutscenes in games entirely.) However, then he says:
    And a big part of the interview is about Iwata talking about Miyamoto's methodology to creating games. I acknowledge that Miyamoto is a genius when it comes to creating games, but this just implies (in my eyes) that Iwata values Miyamoto's work more than others' simply because of lack of cutscenes in his games.

I just keep wondering how Iwata would react to something like The Last of Us. He said:
    And I think he's generalizing here too much.

That was my angle. Most modern games nowadays are heavy on the storytelling and cutscenes. Can be good, can be bad. Iwata seems to talk like games could be better off without any such aids in storytelling.

8. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It's called "out of touch".
    He's been out of touch for years now.

9. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    That's it.

EDIT: Iwata is out of touch?
    [​IMG]

Hargrun, thorasgar and henn64 like this.
  10. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Yep, and due to such Wii U exists.

11. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    He's been the CEO for over 10 years now... Things are bound to become stale after such a long time.

12. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If someone else was in charge we'd have full NES, SNES, N64, NGC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DS and all those games on the Virtual Console on the Wii U but nope.

But hey, they produced the GameCube adapter so that's something and there's the Brain Age DS game for Wii U... *sigh* I'd rather have Mario 64 DS instead. -_-

13. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Pretty sure the GameCube adapter was forced down Iwata's throat by Sakurai. Try ending a match in Smash Bros. using the Wii U GamePad. L+R+Start+A. Just give it a try. Sakurai always wanted the GameCube controller to be part of the game or else they wouldn't use a button combination like that requiring three hands to perform. Iwata wanted us to believe in the Wii Family Edition and Wii mini without GameCube support.

14. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Btw, this thread reminds me of dirt sheet sites like TMZ and stuff who make up facts and use exaggerated shit as topic titles to stir up discussion and get more hits. :p1ng:

GHANMI and machomuu like this.
  15. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Because getting hits and likes is exactly what I'm trying to do here. :ohnoes:

Surely my interpretation isn't that far from the truth? Maybe hate is a strong word, I agree on that.

16. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    I don't think he's saying that at all. He's just saying that there are so many cutscenes nowadays and he feels like many gamers just want to get to the "game" portion. As such, in moderation cutscenes can be useful, but when you get a cutscene each time after every level or X amount of time, the player will just get bored and lose interest.

Essentially. Personally, I don't mind. Cutscenes are a part of the experience to me, in much the same way that gameplay, music, and various other aspects are. Especially when done well, cutscenes can be what the player looks forward to most, as they can be excellent forms of displaying cinematic direction and progressing the story. I do think he's onto something, in that cutscenes aren't the only way to express a story and quite a few games nowadays seem to think that, but overall I'm a fan of them.

17. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    it's not only Iwata. I HATE modern gamings, especially these shooter games which are branded as 'RPG'

18. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Well considering RPG is a parent genre and can't be standalone, it's likely that the shooters are RPGs, whichever games you're talking about.

19. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Or what you're shooting with is an RPG. But I digress...

I think this nails it as far as how I personally also think about games nowadays vs. before technological advancement. Though it's hard to dismiss that Iwata doesn't at least imply that games are automatically better without resources devoted to cutscenes. That's the vibe I'm getting from the interview (translation).

20. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Hm, that makes sense.

Nintendo needs new blood and with an outdated CEO like Iwata Nintendo will never move forward.

Bladexdsl likes this.