Gaming Iwata is indifferent on modern games (interview)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Iwata hates cutscenes so much, perhaps he could pull a few strings and make some improvements in Pokemon. I really don't need a shitty pre-battle animation whenever I meet some asshole who's only purpose in life is to look forwards and attempt to bash random people's Pokemon whenever they pass by him. While we're on the subject, a Skip button would be nice because guess what - 9 out of 10 players really don't care about the banter Pokemon characters are having. The same applies to Legend of Zelda, dialogues in that thing are sometimes insufferable... oh wait, that's character development and narrative building, sorry about that. Dearie me, he really is one to preach.

Reactions: lampdemon

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Iwata hates cutscenes so much, perhaps he could pull a few strings and make some improvements in Pokemon. I really don't need a shitty pre-battle animation whenever I meet some asshole who's only purpose in life is to look forwards and attempt to bash random people's Pokemon whenever they pass by him. While we're on the subject, a Skip button would be nice because guess what - 9 out of 10 players really don't care about the banter Pokemon characters are having. The same applies to Legend of Zelda, dialogues in that thing are sometimes insufferable... oh wait, that's character development and narrative building, sorry about that. Dearie me, he really is one to preach.

At least in pokemon you can disable the battle animations

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're still videogames and they don't try to pass as anything else. The most mainstream Western games try too hard to be movies.

Even on the most "cinematic" out of those, the Metal Gear games, you still have "videogamey" things to remind you it's, well, a videogame. Stuff like cardboard boxes and inflatable decoys. The game's honest with you. Also, the art direction is a whole lot better and they actually try an unique style instead of copying real life with, as I mentioned, uncanny valley looking characters that cause me a whole lot of discomfort.

Overall I really dislike Blockbuster AAA Western games. They're way too generic and look like they're made by director rejects who couldn't try for hollywood and turned to games instead. Just my two cents. Please note I'm specifically talking AAA here.

The only AAA Western game I can think of that didn't try to be anything more than a fun videogame was Sunset Overdrive. Really enjoyed it. Game has a whole lot of personality and a great art style.

"Most" is a huge exaggeration. Games like Heavy Rain do, but they don't try to masquerade as anything else. They sell themselves as "interactive movies", which I don't see an issue with it. It's a game, it's interactive, just not heavily and it weaves the advantages of film with the advantages of gaming. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but neither are a lot of genres.

You just have horrific tunnel vision and honestly just shit taste. You're writing games off you haven't even tried and just justifying it through some generic Japanophilia.

Reactions: Foxi4

styckx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate cut scenes.. Usually after the first 20 minutes of the opening cut scenes of a game I click through the rest. I want to play games not watch a movie.

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just have horrific tunnel vision and honestly just shit taste. You're writing games off you haven't even tried and just justifying it through some generic Japanophilia.
This is a pretty pointless argument. It's just an opinion overall. You won't change my opinion, and I won't change yours either. I was just giving my two cents, as I mentioned. Yes it might be some kind of japanophilia as you call it, but then two of my 3 favorite games were developed by western devs. What I seek in my games for my own entertainment clearly differs from what you want from yours, so let's not point fingers. There's no "shit taste", just different people.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the_randomizer is just sour because Nintendo's on a three-year long losing streak - if that's not bad management then I don't know what is. They really do need a shake-up, Iwata is a developer, not a businessman, he's running the company into the ground. Funny how Nintendo's best years were under management of a guy who didn't even fancy video games.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's not wrong, there are a lot of games that utilize too many cutscenes these days. Now there are a fair share of games with a lot of cutscenes that truly do benefit from cutscenes and they feel integral to the game, many of these games I wouldn't change a thing about. However, there are also a lot of other games that are needlessly over the top, needlessly too cinematic, and it feels like too much time, money, and effort were put into some games' cutscenes where those resources could have instead gone toward making the game in question a more fun and enticing experience from a gameplay perspective.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If there's anything the last few Mario games haven't been, it's memorable- and they didn't have any of those things Iwata mentions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, to answer your question, they're a fusion Brit-pop/J-pop/electronic band with a woman...