PS1/2 It's been a long time

NecroCombine666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I was last here come 2011 or 12 when a member was nice enough to put in a chip for me in my PS1 because I couldn't get soldering down.

Now that I'm back im going to grab the more obscure PS1 games. Shadow tower, lsd, irritating stick, clock tower.

So I have a couple of questions

Are there translations for any Japanese games and if so how would they work?

Secondly my room mate has a ps2 and I was considering the swap magic route however I can't find swap magic any where

Thirdly I lost my old code breaker disk

What's the best way to mod and cheat via ps2 in 2020?

Can I simply burn DVD copies of swap and codebreaker provided I can find them?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translations for any Japanese games:
PS1
PS2

How would they work?
Patch the disc image with the translation. Use the disc image with the correct hash (e.g. CRC32) that the patch recommends. Burn to a writable disc if using a modchip (PS1: MM3, PS2: Modbo), or have it mounted using a loader (PS1: PSIO, PS2: OPL).

PS2 exploits to boot FMCB
Swap Magic
FreeDVDBoot (Currently only: DVD Player v3.10-3.11) (i.e. simply burn a DVD-R)
Disc Swap Method

Best way to mod via PS2 (Fat)

Best way to cheat via PS2
Codebreaker
PS2RD

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: Alexander1970

NecroCombine666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translations for any Japanese games:
PS1
PS2

How would they work?
Patch the disc image with the translation. Use the disc image with the correct hash (e.g. CRC32) that the patch recommends. Burn to a writable disc if using a modchip (PS1: MM3, PS2: Modbo), or have it mounted using a loader (PS1: PSIO, PS2: OPL).

PS2 exploits to boot FMCB
Swap Magic
FreeDVDBoot (Currently only: DVD Player v3.10-3.11) (i.e. simply burn a DVD-R)
Disc Swap Method

Best way to mod via PS2 (Fat)

Best way to cheat via PS2
Codebreaker
PS2RD

So I spent alot of time trying to burn the elf boot disc to a cdr and then put the freeboot files on a flash drive then get it on my ps2 memory card. Now I see lots of conflicting things about how we need a chip or its ideal if you don't have a chip and that you need to game swap or you don't. So unless the tutorial I watched the dude forgot to mention his ps2 is chipped I dont understand what I'm doing wrong.

I unpacked the noobie pack into my fat32 flash drive burned the uelf iso to a cd r and tried various combinations like inserting one without the other and vice versa

masenko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
boot up your ps2 WITHOUT any game or dvd in and then press triangle. look for your dvd firmware version.
only version 3.10, 3.11 and 3.04 will work with freedvdboot.
though i haven't seen anyone confirm 3.04 working on real hardware yet.
Also it needs to be burned to a dvd not cd and make sure you burn the right version for your ps2

Last edited by masenko,

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I spent alot of time trying to burn the elf boot disc to a cdr and then put the freeboot files on a flash drive then get it on my ps2 memory card. Now I see lots of conflicting things about how we need a chip or its ideal if you don't have a chip and that you need to game swap or you don't. So unless the tutorial I watched the dude forgot to mention his ps2 is chipped I dont understand what I'm doing wrong.

I unpacked the noobie pack into my fat32 flash drive burned the uelf iso to a cd r and tried various combinations like inserting one without the other and vice versa
As mentioned above, the FreeDVDBoot needs a DVD-R to trigger the exploit. A CD-R will not work. Once the exploit is triggered, you would browse to the USB to execute FreeMCBoot.

The swap method is different, it uses a legit game. You would burn an image of said game with the .elf in the disc image replaced with another .elf like uLaunchELF.

Swap Method

The FreeHDBoot Noobie Package is a separate exploit. Also, it will not work with USB, only HDD. You need to flash the image to an HDD. After, connect the HDD to the PS2 using a Network Adapter.

It also now appears my PS1 chip is being an ass. It won't load medal of honor or Kings field 2
PS1 disc drives are getting old and CD-Rs are a little more taxing than legit PS1 CDs, so the waning laser might not be strong enough to properly read formerly working CD-Rs. You might have to open it up to adjust the potentiometer (usually about 1/8 clockwise). Using a multimeter, adjust to 12.0 millivolts. That setting has worked for me, but it may vary.

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: Alexander1970

NecroCombine666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton. For now the PS1 is running upside down and I'll try to wrangle the proper version for my fat ps2 so when my dvd-rs get here I'll be ready.

For reference this is what I watched

And for now the PS1 is only working upside down so now it's time to either fix the sled and do a pot adjustment or maybe ordering a whole new laser will be better for me if I can find one

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After viewing the video, I believe his PS2 is modchipped. Modchipped PS2s in his area might be so prevalent that he doesn't know it won't work on a stock unit. I don't think it's possible for the PS2 to see a CD as a DVD. Also, the disc image that is linked is not the same as in the video. If this actually worked, there would be no need for FreeDVDBoot.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know no ones mentioned this but you could just also save yourself the time and buy a ps2 memorycard with freemcboot already installed on it. Saw some on both amazon and ebay.

NecroCombine666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was aware of the memory cards but once I saw the vid of a cdr making it happen I pissed away too many hours trying haha.

I got a DVD r pack on the way and I've been inside my psx before so I'll try the laser adjustment then if that doesn't work I'll check the sled before finding a replacement. Fmvs are choppy even with the system upside down. My copy of medal of honor won't budge past the first screen. I did get Kings field to work but it would take minutes to load in assets when entering a room

NecroCombine666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After viewing the video, I believe his PS2 is modchipped. Modchipped PS2s in his area might be so prevalent that he doesn't know it won't work on a stock unit. I don't think it's possible for the PS2 to see a CD as a DVD. Also, the disc image that is linked is not the same as in the video. If this actually worked, there would be no need for FreeDVDBoot.
Just got DVDs. Is it going to be pretty straight forward from here? Can I put PS1 and 2 games on a flash drive with opl?

Update: Unfortunately our firmware is 3.0u so the DVD method isnt going to work. I checked around online a agent under fire is cheap but shipping inflates it to where it's between 6-10$ anyways so I'ma hit a few second hand spots tomorrow

Agent under fire obtained

Last edited by NecroCombine666,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back