It's almost the end of 2013. What is your GOTY?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be between gta v and the last of us
I cant really decide between them though, but I guess the last of us has the slight edge imo

there are a bunch of other great games this year (bioshock infinite, tomb raider, batman arkham origins, beyond two souls) but those two games set the bar really high

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Far Cry 3 or Age of Empires 2 HD (nostalgia & just timeless classic). Not a lot of games I really enjoyed this year tbh, The Walking Dead was enjoyable but not GOTY.

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last of Us for consoles, Bravely Default for handhelds.

Runners up being GTAV and A Link Between Worlds.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Surprised to see so many GTAV's considering how "meh" it was. Graphix aside.

I honestly can't really think of any titles that stood out definitely in my head. A Link Between Worlds, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us were neat but none of them really screamed GOTY to me.

In general i'd say, Tales of Xillia
For handheld i'll say Soul Sacrifice, if only because it has so damn much to do, and a massive amount of FREE DLC that actually added content. I played it for a couple months and only stopped because my "stuff to play" list kept growing and growing and I was still no where near completing or done with Soul Sacrifice.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't bought any games made in '13, so I can't have a GOTY. I would pick Paper Mario RPG otherwise. Need to do the Pit of 100 Trials again... get to level 40...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm going with antichamber.

Do note that I have barely played any new titles this year, so it's not like I'm saying it's a better game or anything (even bioshock infinite is on my 'to play' list).

linuxGuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luigi's Mansion 2 for me. It was just so much better than expected. It was also one of the only games from 2013 I actually played.

Reactions: calmwaters

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm console I'd say the last of us. But it feels like im missing one.
Handheld is a bit harder. Both Phoenix wright & bravely defauly are worthy in my eyes.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Surprised to see so many GTAV's considering how "meh" it was. Graphix aside.

I honestly can't really think of any titles that stood out definitely in my head. A Link Between Worlds, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us were neat but none of them really screamed GOTY to me.

In general i'd say, Tales of Xillia
For handheld i'll say Soul Sacrifice, if only because it has so damn much to do, and a massive amount of FREE DLC that actually added content. I played it for a couple months and only stopped because my "stuff to play" list kept growing and growing and I was still no where near completing or done with Soul Sacrifice.

LOL GTA V was meh? hipster much? not the best game this year fine (even though it definitely was) disliking something popular just cause its popular doesn't make you "cool"

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, tough choice. I still haven't completed TLoZ: ALBW or SM3DW, so I can't pick one of those. Possibly Animal Crossing: New Leaf, as I've clocked over 500 hours on it, and Animal Crossing is probably my favorite game series. Although Pikmin 3 was also really good, despite being really short...Same with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL GTA V was meh? hipster much? not the best game this year fine (even though it definitely was) disliking something popular just cause its popular doesn't make you "cool"
You know, some people just don't really like a game that happens to be popular. I had that with Skyrim.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since I played mostly 2012 games and osu! in the past year, the only 2013 games I've played are AoE2:HD, CoD:Ghosts and Pac-Man CE: DX+. Since the first wasn't as good as it should've been, and CoD is still really nothing special, my GotY can only be Pac-Man CE: DX+. Pure perfection (aside from the cheated leaderboards).

EDIT: dammit why did the forum put random :D faces

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me I guess it's A Link Between Worlds, since it was certainly the best 3DS game I bought this year and I've only bought 1 or 2 games for other systems. Runners-up are probably Fire Emblem: Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV. and Tales of Xillia.

By system:
3DS: ALBW, although Fire Emblem, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers and SMT IV were all great. Couldn't really get into Pokemon X and haven't bought Ace Attorney 5 yet.
Vita: Killzone: Mercenary was the only game I bought, and if anything on PS+ came out this year I don't remember what (well, Soul Sacrifice, but I've never been a fan of Monster Hunter-type games). Good, but not great; if the netcode was halfway decent it'd be a lot better.
360: Injustice was the only 2013 game I 'bought'; the story's pretty bad and the controls feel a bit clunky to me, so it certainly doesn't win on any other merits.
PS3: Tales of Xillia - excellent game, although the only other 2013 game I have is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, so it's a bit of a no-brainer that Xillia would win.
Wii U: Wind Waker HD - I'm sure Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101 are all excellent, but I haven't gotten to play them yet so I can't say much for them. At the moment my Wii U library consists of WWHD, Nintendo Land, Arkham City, and ME3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection