Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
iTouch2 Impressions
In house at GBAtemp

The DSi revised edition of the iTouchDS has arrived in house at GBAtemp.net. Dubbed the 'iTouch2' the card functions the same as the earlier edition with the addition of DSi compatibility. A new v3.0 firmware was also released with the card for use on the iTouchDS and iTouch2, however there is no changelog currently.

The same crew behind the M3 and G6 line of cards are behind the iTouch2. The iTouch2 is widely touted as the cheaper alternative to the M3 and features real-time save/load, soft reset, cheats, slow motion and multiple save files per game. Almost everything is identical to the previous iteration of the iTouch with the addition of a slightly redesigned menu background.

The iTouch2 is best known for the iFav menu which is a screen that shows the icons of your selected favourite games that can be quickly launched. Unfortunately I've noticed from my brief test with the latest firmware that the iTouch2's menu loading has slowed down quite a lot. It takes 14 seconds to load the iFav menu with one page of DS game icons, which is ridiculously long when other flashcard menu's load instantaneously. The original iTouchDS menu loaded much faster as well. It is quite a shame, especially when soft resetting out of a game only to be met by a long loading screen.

Hidden in the Global.nds file that comes with the firmware are a number of options including changing the language, setting a sleep timer and also enabling soft reset or real time save by default for all games. It took me a while to find this option but I'm glad I did, enabling soft reset by defaults means you will not have to sift through the options menu on each individual game to enable it.

However those points aside the iTouch2 is really quite nice. The real-time save/load feature and in game menu is excellent and loads very quickly. The card also uses a CHEAT.db file for its cheat engine which is supported by the GBAtemp Cheat Database. All games I've tested have loaded perfectly and soft reset works as expected.

The card is built from the same thin plastic with clips along the side as with other M3 products which isn't the best build design I've seen, however it's strong enough to withstand use. I haven't had an issues with my old iTouchDS in my time with it. There is also a slight bulge from the chip underneath the sticker but the card fits into the DSi easily with no issues.

I will be writing a full review of the iTouch2 in a special comparison review between the iTouch2 and Supercard DSOnei to give GBAtemp readers a better idea of what DSi enabled card they should pick up. Stay tuned to GBAtemp.net for that!

In the meantime check out more pictures or ask some questions by clicking the link below.

icon11.gif
Pics & Discussion

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

I'm currently working on making a DSi themed skin for the iTouch2. It's slow work but I'll get there. I'm making the App/Game/Fav menu icons look like the DSi menu boxes at the moment.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
raing3 said:
Do you know the iTouch2 has an updateable bootstrap?

I'm not sure. There's no documentation to state that you can update the bootstrap and there isn't a DS card reader like what's included with the Supercard DSOnei. However I guess it's possible it can be updated like the recent Acekard 2i language fix demonstrated. I'll try and find out.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweet, thanks. I hope it is. I'm going to order this next week to add to my collection of DSi compatible flash cartridges. At the moment I've got an Acekard 2i (HW81), EZ-Flash Vi and a SuperCard DSONEi which is on order at the moment.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what is the point to actually get their so called budget cards. Obviously the M3 is better and they even made a better firmware for it. They are not catering to the iTouch users at all except for updates. Just me or do they just not care for them so much? Doesn't matter they payed more for the M3 the iTouch lacks in some departments i.e. the menu and the bootstrap as said. Seriously why make a product if you don't give it reason to sell well.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
FYI Opium, I've already asked, they said it cannot be updated. Here's their exact words:

"Itouch2 haven't the upgradeable boot loader .
Our M3 real(i) have the feature to combat any future DSi firmware revisions from Nintendo ."

This is a MASSIVE blow to the iTouch2 in my opinion.

Probably just another "baby DSi" flashcart that has no functions other than DS mode. It's such a shame since the M3 Team will finally be getting my money :[

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
PharaohsVizier said:
FYI Opium, I've already asked, they said it cannot be updated. Here's their exact words:

"Itouch2 haven’t the upgradeable boot loader .
Our M3 real(i) have the feature to combat any future DSi firmware revisions from Nintendo ."

Thanks for the info. I've send a query to the development team about it and also about the 3.0 menu slowdowns and lack of soft reset by default. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

*edit*

I've found an option in the global.nds file included in the firmware to enable soft reset or real time save by default. Nice
smile.gif
Pity it's hidden away in there, I remember global.nds only having a language option last time I took a look at it (a long time ago).

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ccosmos said:
Is the itouch2 will be firmware upgradable (i mean the CPLD code inside the main processor) like on DSonei or EZFlash Vi ?

QUOTE(PharaohsVizier @ May 20 2009, 07:50 AM) FYI Opium, I've already asked, they said it cannot be updated. Here's their exact words:

"Itouch2 haven’t the upgradeable boot loader .

Three posts above yours
tongue.gif

It seems that it's not
frown.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ccosmos said:
Oh ! sorry guys. I've not seen PharaohsVizier post.
Ok. Let's hope big N will not do what we think they will do.
It's OK
wink.gif

Anyways, I really do hope it won't happen, but when you think about it, there is no reason why it wouldn't..I'm just not sure what are they waiting for, how come they didn't try to block flashcarts with firmware update, maybe they're waiting for some more to be produced, and then block them all out..

Who knows..

mysticstryk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
ccosmos said:
Oh ! sorry guys. I've not seen PharaohsVizier post.
Ok. Let's hope big N will not do what we think they will do.
It's OK
wink.gif

Anyways, I really do hope it won't happen, but when you think about it, there is no reason why it wouldn't..I'm just not sure what are they waiting for, how come they didn't try to block flashcarts with firmware update, maybe they're waiting for some more to be produced, and then block them all out..

Who knows..

Or maybe they can't block them. The DSi itself was the block but we got past that. Maybe thats why Nintendo is getting security for each individual game by december '09.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
That would be very unlikely. Nintendo could likely block them temporarily by just doing a checksum of the first couple of bytes of the bootloader and block games with that checksum.

Hopawarty

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
F*Bleep* Nintendo

If they update it, and they try to block it, lol, theres like, what 3500 dumped roms or more, it will take a while.

rabz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So this is a IMPORTANT function the upgradeable boot loader ??
Because it doesn't have the function, Nintendo can block the Itouch 2 any moment ??
And the other flash carts have it ??

I'm french so i have difficult to try to talk !

Sorry !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/wCF3ywukQYA?si=6tm165dpnERzPwSX