Homebrew Issues with WD Gaming Drives?

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Homebrewed my Wii U / vWii and bought two "WD 2TB Gaming Drives", one to store Wii U games and another to store vWill stuff (GameCube/Wii). They both worked without y-cables (there were issues) so I have since gotten y-cables (there are still issues, heh).
  • For Wii U, WUP Installer GX2 usually can't install directly to USB without errors, I have to go NAND and then move it over after - some games won't move from NAND to USB.
  • For vWii I get everything working, then after a reboot USB Loader GX fails to recognize the HDD. I can restart without the HDD attached, reset to default settings, then restart & reattach HDD and it will work again... just that once until reboot again. I've used an older 0.5TB Seagate External with External power and it doesn't seem to have that issue.
Is this normal or do these hard drives just suck for the Wii U and I should get new, more compatible, ones?

Last edited by threeboy,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm used WD My Passport 2,5" drives on my Wii and Wii U for years without any problems. On the Wii U those HDD's won't work without a Y-cable. Dunno if those "Gaming Drives" are different than the "My Passport" ones.

threeboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These "gamer" drives are apparently optimized for PlayStations. Windows wouldn't assign it a drive letter automatically but some command line stuff fixed that. I was able to format it Fat32 and they work great - once then I have to do the restart and default the settings, etc. and it seems like USB Loader GX won’t save the settings.

Last edited by threeboy,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
These "gamer" drives are apparently optimized for PlayStations. Windows wouldn't assign it a drive letter automatically but some command line stuff fixed that. I was able to format it Fat32 and they work great - once then I have to do the restart and default the settings, etc. and it seems like USB Loader GX won’t save the settings.
USB Loader GX saves the settings to the SD kart. Maybe there's a problem with that?

Or is your hard drive formatted GPT instead of MBR?

Check out this thread

Last edited by CaptainHIT,
Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans