Hacking Homebrew issues upgrading storage on cfw 3ds

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so, I'm not new to homebrewing nintendo software (granted I'm not the most knowledgable)

The main issue is, I do the usual copy everything over to the new sd card: it boots fine, custom theme, still has Twilight Menu as well

However all my cfw titles are gone (the .cia ones i believe)
This doesn't just include the games
This also includes
checkpoint, luma, homebrew launcher (although i can still launch it through ds download if i choose to), and fbi

Hypothetically the tickets should be there, but there are issues using faketik as it gives an error.

I take the new sd card out and put the old one in and everything is fine!

How did I possibly fuck up and how can i rectify it

(Note I have already used h2testw and the new sd card didn't flag any errors)

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't messed with 3DS in a minute but probably need to check the content folder as the 3DS probably made one under a different ID and you need to move the content to that folder instead.

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
all you need to do is copy and paste. if nothing is showing up, try faketik.
Imma be real with you, if you read the post you'd know I already tried that. However if you want to go into more detail about how I can "try faketik" please do, maybe I missed something
Post automatically merged:

Haven't messed with 3DS in a minute but probably need to check the content folder as the 3DS probably made one under a different ID and you need to move the content to that folder instead.
I think you might be onto smth, are you okay to elaborate?

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
-expletives-
Maybe my social skills arent the best but just to make it clear, i was genuinely asking if I might've missed smth with faketik

Imma be real with you, if you read the post you'd know I already tried that. However if you want to go into more detail about how I can "try faketik" please do, maybe I missed something

I think you might be onto smth, are you okay to elaborate?
Update: i tried moving the content files and now I don't even have my custom theme...

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I upgraded the sd card of my 3ds twice by just copying and pasting on the new sd card (from 4gb>32gb>128gb). I say format the new card again (fat32 and 32kb cluster size if 64gb or below) and try once more, you shouldn't need to mess with Nintendo 3DS folder in my experience. Try faketik again if it doesn't work, tell us which error it gives this time.

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you format correctly and copy and paste the files from old SD card to new SD card you should have everything.
Ya i formatted with godmode 9 and I copied and pasted

I upgraded the sd card of my 3ds twice by just copying and pasting on the new sd card (from 4gb>32gb>128gb). I say format the new card again (fat32 and 32kb cluster size if 64gb or below) and try once more, you shouldn't need to mess with Nintendo 3DS folder in my experience. Try faketik again if it doesn't work, tell us which error it gives this time.
faketik v1.1.2
Starting to fix tickets...
Failed to query the external title database.
AM_QueryAvailableExternalTitleDatabase:
0xc8a0802d

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

faketik v1.1.2
0xc8a0802d

Try a computer with like guiformat or MiniTool partition wizard.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However all my cfw titles are gone (the .cia ones i believe)
Your ".cia" files should remain in the cias folder, that's if you copied everything from the old sd card.
As for the homebrew apps installed on the home menu (from said cias), they're the same as your games, if your Nintendo 3DS somehow wasn't copied completely, or the sd card is not formatted in a proper way, your "titles" might not appear..
This doesn't just include the games
This also includes
checkpoint, luma, homebrew launcher (although i can still launch it through ds download if i choose to), and fbi
"Luma"? I'm sure you meant Luma3DS Updater, which is outdated. As for Luma3DS (Boot.firm) you must have it on the root of the sdcard otherwise your 3ds won't boot to the home menu (for a cfw'ed 3ds, anyway).

- As for your issue, what i'd suggest is to verify the sd card for errors with h2testw (like others did), to make sure it's not faulty or fake (yes, even if it's "new"). Backup your data beforehand, then empty the sd card completely and run h2testw with the "read and verify" setting. It should tell you if it's faulty.
I fit passes the test, format it on pc with Guiformat as Fat32 32kb cluster size, then copy/ paste everything from the old sd card (again), double check if the Nintendo 3ds folder transfered in its entirety.
After that you can run faketik again if they're still not showing up.
One more thing to check, is the sd card adapter (if you have an o3ds model), the lock slider specifically, make sure it's "unlocked. or try with a different one.

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your ".cia" files should remain in the cias folder, that's if you copied everything from the old sd card.
As for the homebrew apps installed on the home menu (from said cias), they're the same as your games, if your Nintendo 3DS somehow wasn't copied completely, or the sd card is not formatted in a proper way, your "titles" might not appear..

"Luma"? I'm sure you meant Luma3DS Updater, which is outdated. As for Luma3DS (Boot.firm) you must have it on the root of the sdcard otherwise your 3ds won't boot to the home menu (for a cfw'ed 3ds, anyway).

- As for your issue, what i'd suggest is to verify the sd card for errors with h2testw (like others did), to make sure it's not faulty or fake (yes, even if it's "new"). Backup your data beforehand, then empty the sd card completely and run h2testw with the "read and verify" setting. It should tell you if it's faulty.
I fit passes the test, format it on pc with Guiformat as Fat32 32kb cluster size, then copy/ paste everything from the old sd card (again), double check if the Nintendo 3ds folder transfered in its entirety.
My only guess is that the Nintendo 3ds folder wasnt copied properly
boot.firm is on my root and always has been
I do appreciate the help a lot, but i do wish to bring up again that I mentioned I have already used h2testw and it flagged no errors

However I will format the card again and transfer and double check

I did not originally consider this important, but is it worth bringing up that to connect both new and old sd cards to my pc I used a usb sd card reader (I would link it but as this is my first post I dont think I have the perms to do that)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that to connect both new and old sd cards to my pc I used a usb sd card reader (I would link it but as this is my first post I dont think I have the perms to do that)
That's expected, if your pc doesn't have an sd reader built-in. It's not a problem, unless it was giving you issues when transferring files etc.?

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's expected, if your pc doesn't have an sd reader built-in. It's not a problem, unless it was giving you issues when transferring files etc.?

One more thing to check, is the sd card adapter (if you have an o3ds model), the lock slider specifically, make sure it's "unlocked. or try with a different one.
It is to be noted that once again I tried formatting, and double checking with the nintendo 3ds folder; Im gonna sleep now and will try more ideas tomorrow (such as getting a new sd adapter i guess)
please respond with any other ideas / suggestions. thanks

Reactions: CoolMe

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is to be noted that once again I tried formatting, and double checking with the nintendo 3ds folder; Im gonna sleep now and will try more ideas tomorrow (such as getting a new sd adapter i guess)
please respond with any other ideas / suggestions. thanks
yeah idk whats caused it anymore

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

faketik v1.1.2
0xc8a0802d
@ihaveahax Hey, would you happen to know what this error is that Byshe is getting from the faketik app?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ihaveahax Hey, would you happen to know what this error is that Byshe is getting from the faketik app?
An error like this usually means something is wrong with title.db. faketik is the wrong tool for this job though as the issue is not missing tickets, it's something else causing corruption on the SD card.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Byshe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An error like this usually means something is wrong with title.db. faketik is the wrong tool for this job though as the issue is not missing tickets, it's something else causing corruption on the SD card.
That's so helpful thank you! Do you have any other suggestions of what I can do? I was thinking of formatting this sd card again but using Roadkills unstoppable copier like i've seen in other posts. I was also (if there is corruption present) thinking of using chkdsk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X