Hacking Issue With Sysnand

esareias

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this situation has already been asked, I couldn't find any questions with the same situation. I downgraded my nephews 2ds, unlinked the sysnand and emunand, and set it up to boot with rxtools. When I went to visit them today he told me his younger sister messed with the 2ds. When I checked it out it looks like they updated the sysnand to 9.9 (somehow). I have a theory (and please correct me if I am totally off) that she somehow updated with the super smash bros game cart (now I don't know if it would update the system. I had made sure to disconnect the wifi before they brought it back to their house.

My main question is whether I have to start from scratch as far as downgrading and all that jazz (setting up the sd card, unlinking). All the files are still on the sd card, so can I just downgrade back to 9.2 and just set up themehax? Would this get me back to booting into rxtools (I'm assuming I would still have to edit the cfg files and stuff)?

Thanks for any help!

And if this is in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it!

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this situation has already been asked, I couldn't find any questions with the same situation. I downgraded my nephews 2ds, unlinked the sysnand and emunand, and set it up to boot with rxtools. When I went to visit them today he told me his younger sister messed with the 2ds. When I checked it out it looks like they updated the sysnand to 9.9 (somehow). I have a theory (and please correct me if I am totally off) that she somehow updated with the super smash bros game cart (now I don't know if it would update the system. I had made sure to disconnect the wifi before they brought it back to their house.

My main question is whether I have to start from scratch as far as downgrading and all that jazz (setting up the sd card, unlinking). All the files are still on the sd card, so can I just downgrade back to 9.2 and just set up themehax? Would this get me back to booting into rxtools (I'm assuming I would still have to edit the cfg files and stuff)?

Thanks for any help!

And if this is in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it!
If your gonna update do it now while you still can then simply downgrade if sysnand is not used no further steps are required since the nands are already unlinked. Just get 9.2.0-20 again so you can auto boot to your Emunand like before you wont even have to delete anything.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If everything is still there you just have to downgrade back to 9.2 and everything will still be there.

Also tell them to stop using retail cardtridges, that's most likely how they updated.

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
I think what happened is that borrowed a friend 3DS cart and it has updates the 3DS to 9.9.

Just say to them never to use cartridges when possible and if they really want to.

If the game requires an update then they should cancel it.

esareias

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got everything nice and settled. Just to make sure, since they have the 2ds, I can safely update the emunand to 10.3 through the system settings right?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Great, thanks!
And if you don't have it set to autoboot menuhax and CFW without pressing anything, that would be a good idea too. It's less likely that they will accidentally update the sysNAND if you make it harder to access. Set up menuhax so it can only be cancelled with a certain key press (something complicated like A+B+X+Y+L+R would prevent anyone from unintentionally cancelling it)
You can set the key combo with menuhax installer, pick type 2, and hold the keys you want to use for cancelling it then tap the touchscreen.
If you're using CtrBootManager it might be a good idea to remove that before returning the 2DS, or at least remove any dangerous entries (and remove anything dangerous from HBL) to make sure nothing like this can happen again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night