ISP Survey: 3 strikes won't deter pirates

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Dter ic, Jul 7, 2011.

Jul 7, 2011
  1. Dter ic
    OP

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    [thumb]http://i.imgur.com/Zex9u.png[/thumb]​
    Disconnecting alleged copyright infringers after three warnings is the ideal anti-piracy strategy if we believe the assertions of the entertainment industries. But how effective are such graduated response policies in the eyes of the public? Not very, according to a survey from the UK Internet provider BE Broadband. The survey reveals that only 6 percent of file-sharers will reduce or stop swapping files online.

Initiatives to punish alleged copyright infringers after repeated warnings are popping up all over the world, most recently in the United States. In the UK a similar scheme is embedded in the Digital Economy Act despite strong opposition from ISPs, the public and various human rights groups.

The entertainment industries claim that the threat of losing one’s Internet connection will deter a large group of copyright infringers. Thus far, however, no research has backed up this prediction. On the contrary, the results of a recent survey conducted by the British Internet provider BE Broadband reveals that the impact might be far less than expected.

BE Broadband surveyed a few hundred customers and asked them whether they are aware of the Digital Economy Act, and how they think their file-sharing habits would change under the new law. The results are intriguing.

Of all the respondents who use file-sharing networks (85% of the total sample) more than 94 percent say they will not share less when the Digital Economy Act gets into full swing. Instead, the majority of the file-sharers say they will simply take measures to hide their IP-address, by using VPN and proxy services for example.

Roughly 1 percent of the people who share files now say they will stop doing so and about 5 percent claim they will reduce their use of file-sharing software. Needless to say, the survey results suggest that three-strikes measures can hardly be called effective. [/p]

survey results

Source

2. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    NO IT DIDDLY WONT [​IMG]

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    SSL everything! [​IMG]

4. Stewy12

Member Stewy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This 3 strikes thing is a load of crap, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get caught illegally downloading 3 times, maybe if you use public trackers all the time but if you do then your pretty much asking for it.

5. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Didn't the UN declare internet access to be a fundamental right recently?

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    well my ISP is much more intelligent than this. They slow down the speed of the sites from which i download games etc ie. throttling. But if u slow down mediafire, i will download through ifile [​IMG]

7. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Really? Is that the same UN that has North Korea on their human rights commission and Iran on the nuclear non proliferation panel. I mean come on the UN is a corrupt joke that no one listens to

8. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    well obviously i rarely use torrents for one but im very careful my account has one strike due to my brother torrenting sweeny todd a few years back

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    47% would just hide themselves: [​IMG]

10. Dter ic
    OP

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Fixed that for ya.

12. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    I am glad to be in Canada, where they simply don't give a ****.

13. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Wonder if that applies to Games too......i have literally only pirated movies once or twice (Which was years ago), and i get most of my Music through Youtube downloaders or Gtunes on my Phone.