Hacking ISP contacted me

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
To add on to what djtaz said ...

I also work for an ISP, the second largest of Sweden. We also have direct access to the modems/gateways/phone-ata:s and whatevere, and can both monitor and throttle as we please. However, if a person connects their own router with NAT between our equipment and their computers, there's nothing we can do other than seeing the combined usage for that customer, all originating from the same piece of equipment––ie. the router.

Anyways, despite the fact that we can do all this, we don't. Reason is simple, we don't want to fuck with our customers. We comply with the existing legislation––particularly IPRED in Sweden since April 1st of this year––and hands out customer details for a specific ip at a given time to copyright holders when ordered so by a court of law, so that they can sue that particular individual in a civil law suit.

There is nothing in the legislation at present in Sweden that even allows us as an ISP to disconnect our customers because a private entity––read the entertainment industry––claims someone has breached their intellectual property rights. This also goes for sending out letters. As trivia, a law allowing for ISP:s to disconnect users from the internet following claims from the industry actually got squashed in the French parliament just about a week ago.

The plaintiff has full responsibility to convince a judge that download of "a severe enough nature" have originated from a particular IP at a given time to have the account details given out. (Uploading however, more or less automatically qualifies for having your details handed out, since that's filed under "making available to the general public", which is considered naughty.)

Following this, they themselves can send out letters of request for compensation or whatever, BUT this won't go via your ISP in any way over here. If you just refuse, they have to sue you in court. Here, THEY have to prove beyond conceivable doubt that it's you personally who is responsible for the intrusion of intellectual property.

So far, no cases have come to this in Sweden––partly because the legislation is new––but, as mentioned earlier, in Denmark, where they have similar legislation, the only ones losing in court are the ones who confessed. There, the "Wireless defence" made it impossible for the plaintiffs to prove guilt.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little known fact too - That's why there's cameras on you when using pay-computer services (cyber cafe, kinko's copy shop, etc) so if anything illegal happens the businesses are released from all liability because you're on film using the computer in question.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
that's weird my isp never contacts me they pretty much don't care what i download as long as i pay the monthly bill. they even let me use their news servers for free allowing me to download at 13mb/sec! gotta love internode
tongue.gif

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i got a letter of my isp at least 5-7 years ago where they said that a third party contacted them that one ip out of their range was used to share copyrighted material. at that time i used dc++ on public hubs. big fault
smile.gif
never did that again and was never bothered again. it is simply what method you use to get your files and how a copyright owner can get your personal data. in some countries it's easier than in other. ipred is a just an example. we have something very similar in germany and in the stats dmca jumps into that notch. i am looking forward for ipredator.

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Knocks

The "stupidity" defense may hold up to the nub answering the phone in the abuse center of an ISP, but not in court (in the US at least).

QUOTE said:
The second time, at a different place, in 2003 I got a letter from Nintendo saying that I had downloaded Zelda - Four Swords for GBA, using a random ROM site. Same thing, deleted and no further contact.

Direct download? If so did the rom site get shut down for hosting?

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I frequently (constantly) downloaded files for as long as i've had a pc and i don't really care what u have to say about it, but the only time an ISP ever contacted me was when i was 10 years old and i was teaching a friend how to use keyloggers and trojans, thankfully it was his PC. lol
I used all methodes to download files, but nothing was ever send to me.

I don't even know why i'm posting this since it was already made clear that ISPs dont care lol

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used to work at a call center for WOW. In my experience, they will discontinue your service. I had a few calls from people whose service had been automatically disconnected (temporarily) because they were detected as being the source of spam. In most cases it was from a bot, but if we turned their service back on and the spam continued, it just gets shut off again. When I was there I never saw anybody have legal problems from downloading, but I did see people get their service disconnected for repeated offenses.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you guys are silly, your telling the guy to say that he is on unprotected wireless so it's all good...

do you guys know what's a MAC Address?

if they want the pc that REALLY did the downloads is easily traced (i do know what i'm talking about)

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
ISP's can pretty much check anything ... if they could be bothered (which generally im not) and can place blocks on IP's or even mac addresses (which i do from time to time as its a business network).

Not sure what it's like now, but last I knew, WOW did not provide, and therefore did not support, any hardware past the modem with the exception of the NIC sometimes. They don't have that kind of access beyond the modem, primarily because they don't want the liability that comes with it. That said, they can also block your modem at any time for any reason. They don't have to prove it was you or that it came from your computer. They hold the right to refuse service to anybody at anytime. Just call them. Don't admit that you did anything wrong. You can play dumb or deny it all you want, but the reality is that the they know what's going. If the problem persists, you're ultimately responsible for what's happening on your connection. If it were to go as far as court (and it won't), the judge won't care if you can prove that it wasn't necessarily you and at the end of the day, you'll be the one being sued by giant corporations, not anybody else.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kimikal27 said:
you guys are silly, your telling the guy to say that he is on unprotected wireless so it's all good...

if they want the pc that REALLY did the downloads is easily traced (i do know what i'm talking about)

All they'll know is the MAC of his router, unless they somehow hack into his router. And MACs are easily spoofed anyway.

Dodi

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just seen your letter.
I haven't had any problems like this before with my ISP Virgin, so I can't help you.
And I have done my fair share of "File" downloading.

Out of interest, were you downloading torrents or files from sites like Megaupload or Rapidshare?

Hopefully it's nothing to be worried about
smile.gif

thc42O

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tbgtbg said:
kimikal27 said:

All they'll know is the MAC of his router, unless they somehow hack into his router. And MACs are easily spoofed anyway.

This is correct info. macs are EASILY spoofed. I do it every time i get banned off a game network for hacking (*battle.net)

just do as one user suggested claim u have an Open Wifi and yah wtf can they do
they will say well put a pw on ur wifi. thats it.

Are you using Utorrent? or another torrent client?
Utorrent has Protocol encryption so it makes it harder for them to track that ur using P2P networks.
Also make your connection Port for torrents 21 as it will appear to be FTP traffic o nthe isp end.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Keep doing what eva you are doing and when they contact you just say you have done nothing wrong since you are using those things for yourself and not for selling, at most youll get to pay some small fee...

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how to spoof my network cards MAC address
I know how to change my routers MAC address
But my cable modem has it's own MAC address - I dont think you can change this one

*They called in that MAC address when they turned on the cable modem - probably to authenticate incase someone "stole" a bunch of cable modems and gave them out. Only can be activiated by a call in

Good luck with what you do. Let us know what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: sorry for misspell and posts