Hacking ISP contacted me

kytran

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*** THIS IS THE POLICE ***

Give up mcjones92!!! we now know your hack site!!! and we will do nothing to penalyse you.
oh and yeah we will send you more letters !!! and do nothing after!!! so be wared
tongue.gif

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
screw that man, why would you waste your money on a game that will only disappoint you in the long run? download EasyHideIp, and they'll think your in Germany or Switzerland or some crazy shit like that. then you'll be free from the grasp from the "Man". about the letter... just tell them you have a WiFi thingy magjiggy DO NOT USE THE WORD ROUTER! You'll seem more smarter then they'd like you to be. My step dad had this problem, then I made him download Easy Hide and config it for his bit client and internet browser. He stopped getting those letter. Anywho good luck man, PIRATES 4 LIFE!

robman62

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PEER GUARGIAN DOES NOT WORK.......sure it blocks SOME gov/threatenning ips, but it also blocks MANY good peers, making the DL take LONGER and giving antipiracy organizations a better chance of finding you with their new ips.....you will always get these letters if you are not careful, force encryption is the BEST bet....but PG2 is way better in theory then it is in practice. A friend of mine got emails even with PG2 on.

I can post the source for my info a bit later if you really dont believe me.

BenJeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People should stop using torrents for copyrighted stuff. If a packet can travel to you, it stands to reason it can be traced to you. Some copyright holders have taken to hiring outfits that seed torrents to track traffic; that bypasses sniffers that simply examine packets (which might be encrypted at that point).

...but whatever, most people I know leech from usenet servers, using a server like GigaNews - around $25/month for unlimited downloads and they keep stuff for 240 days. With a little knowledge, and knowing where to find stuff, usenet can prove to be much better than the torrents - and definitely faster - without all the drama.

Of course, that may not last forever, but torrents are where all the attention is focused right now, and they'll certainly bite the dust before usenet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

elmachin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would like to know as well where you got the games from just so i can avoid that place. lol
and yeah PG2 is the way to go.
and also that thing about the wireless great idea. I used to get movies like that using my neighbors un protected wireless, when i had a dlink wireless card on my pc.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BenJeremy said:
People should stop using torrents for copyrighted stuff. If a packet can travel to you, it stands to reason it can be traced to you. Some copyright holders have taken to hiring outfits that seed torrents to track traffic; that bypasses sniffers that simply examine packets (which might be encrypted at that point).

...but whatever, most people I know leech from usenet servers, using a server like GigaNews - around $25/month for unlimited downloads and they keep stuff for 240 days. With a little knowledge, and knowing where to find stuff, usenet can prove to be much better than the torrents - and definitely faster - without all the drama.

Of course, that may not last forever, but torrents are where all the attention is focused right now, and they'll certainly bite the dust before usenet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Amen, I only have to add though giganews isn't the only provider and its very worth looking around for a better deal as giganews can be overpriced also NEVER GET ANYTHING WITHOUT SSL.

Also shouldn't this topic be moved to the PC board now since we are talking about stuff which isn't exactly related to wii hacking?

JimmyBobAlex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thread reminded me that I really should check my ISP email account which I haven't done since I got the service, I could have like 10 of these letters in my inbox. lol.

mikesmithy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got one of these letters a long time ago. It was back when I was still using Torrents and I was downloading a game overnight. I figure that the tracker must've been set up by either the game company (EA GAMES) or by another company that was connected to the game.

Either way, it didn't stop my from using torrents then or direct downloads soon after, and I never heard anything about it again.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

In Canada (maybe not the US) downloading is NOT illegal. What is illegal is making something available for somebody else to download (using Torrents because all the pieces that you have are now available for somebody else, a peer-to-peer service like limewire, or uploading something to a service like rapidshare or megaupload).

I'm definitely not speaking out against any of those because I still upload things for people all the time, but that's where the legal issue lies. Downloading isn't illegal (in Canada anyway), uploading is.

delt31

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlatFrogger said:
BenJeremy said:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Amen, I only have to add though giganews isn't the only provider and its very worth looking around for a better deal as giganews can be overpriced also NEVER GET ANYTHING WITHOUT SSL.

Also shouldn't this topic be moved to the PC board now since we are talking about stuff which isn't exactly related to wii hacking?

you guys are talking a lot of good things about usernet. Is this "safer" than torrents? Just curious - news to me.

Thanks

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
mcjones92 said:
Do to think they will sue or anything? I am going back to buying games, this is kinda like a wakeup call for me.

Sure you will.

On a side note,
Even if your mom does say a minor downloaded it, it's still admiting to copyright infringment, and as its your mothers service, and shes legally responsible for you, shell cop the lawsuits. *if it gets to that point

The safest way to get out of this is to
A: STOP TORRENTING!
Torrenting programs dont give a shit about you, theyll gladly hand over your downloading info to the ESA.

B: Dont claim it was a minor, be ignorant.
If your mom says it was a minor, shes the legal guardian and your her responsibility, that means shell do time.

C: Change your habits, i mean if your getting 2 ESA notices then maybe whatever your using to download from isnt safe.

There is also D: Upgrade your internet plan before your isp do anything.
Why you might ask? your starting a new contract. You have signed on and wiped the past slate clean, they cannot cut off your new service as that contract you signed before has already ended when you started a new one. They cant do anything to shut down your new service that there contractually obligated to keep.
And since you havent broken the rules while on this new contract, your safe.
If they do however try to terminate it after a switch of contracts, simply call them and threaten a lawsuit, they cannot do anything, and the second they realise you signed up to a new contract they will drop all of there attempts to block you.

Let me tell you about my personal experience with the ESA, they sent my provider a letter saying i downloaded Patapon illegally.
You know what i did?
Stopped torrenting for starters.
Have i ever gotten another ESA notice? None. none whatsoever.
Nor have they followed up there threat to terminate my service. *I assume its either because they dont give a shit because your still paying, or because i did what i said in D* For an extra $10 a month im getting 110gb worth more of data and they cant do shit with the warnings they gave me in the past.
And as for the ESA, if they ever do try and sue me, i have my patapon case in my cupboard with receipts with dates anyway. *My psp got stolen with patapon in it so i have no UMD*

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The smell of bs is fresh in this thread

1.PG is false security. It provides protection against know bad ip's, that is all. You really think the MPAA/RIAA/ESA/Media Sentry/Media Defender keep a static range? If you answer yes, then you get what you deserve.

2.Forcing encryption on bittorrent software. Sounds like some of you do not understand how this works. This feature makes hard for your ISP to know what you are downloading, it affects noting if an anti p2p party is in your swarm. Once they are in your swarm and have your ip, that is all they need. Forcing encryption will do nothing.

3.The "I have wireless defense?" Guess what, your ISP also will have records of your MAC addy. If the MAC address on record matches your comp's, you don't really have much of a defense anymore.

A novel idea.....stop downloading!

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ill just say this aswell..

Do not use peer to peer torrenting programs.
That is where the foundations of most of these lawsuits rests.
Because you are redistributing they have even more ammunition.

The redistribution part is probably the only ammo they have when you think about it.
You can easily prove you own a game, whether you actually do or dont.
But its when they bring up that fact that your also redistributing it, willfully or not, is when your gonna have issues.
They will try sue you on behalf of all of the people who downloaded from you aswell.
See a chain forming here?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure you'll wriggle your way out of it. I haven't heard of this happening for wii games - but plenty of times for movies / tv episodes. The worst consequence I have heard of, was someone's ISP account being disabled after several ignored warnings.

Don't use public trackers, or at the very least - don't leave stuff seeding. That is asking for trouble.

Private trackers / usenet are much better ideas.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody's suing you, they're just threatening to cancel your service. If they shut it off, switch to DSL (if you have cable right now) or vice versa.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
As people have already said, don't worry about it...deny everything and let them know you have unsecured wireless. Whatever you do, don't get your Mum to admit that you've done anything...despite you being a minor it's still copyright infringement and as your legal guardian she'll end up paying the price.

Just get your Mum to phone your ISP and play the unsecured wireless card...or ignore the letter and see what happens...they certainly won't do a thing without writing another letter or three.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1