GCN Is Xeno chip really needed?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reallly appreciate the help folks, so just to make sure Ive got it right, so far the only way for me to play backups on an unmodded GC is with an official action replay media launcher disc+SdAdapter kit loaded with Swiss along with an optional SD2SP2 adapter for extra storage?
If I'm not mistaken, there are exploits for Smash Bros Melee and Twilight Princess that can be used to boot Swiss – but you'll need a method of getting exploited save data onto a memory card, such as a hacked Wii with GC compatibility. If you go that route, then you can buy the SD adapter separately.

A0211

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm not mistaken, there are exploits for Smash Bros Melee and Twilight Princess that can be used to boot Swiss – but you'll need a method of getting exploited save data onto a memory card, such as a hacked Wii with GC compatibility. If you go that route, then you can buy the SD adapter separately.
Ooh this is interesting I’ve just had a look through some info, so providing I have windwaker which I do, and an SDgecko adapter thing it would be enough to pull it off? Although I don’t have a modded Wii, is there a way to load the exploited file in some way into the SDgecko sd and try to trick windwaker into loading the save? Like a bunch files I can put on the SD and have it able to be recognised or do I need to make the exploit in an actual console?
Thanks for the help dude I’ve just bought a Gamecube after a great many years and I’m excited to wrap my head around all this and just get playing!

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh this is interesting I’ve just had a look through some info, so providing I have windwaker which I do, and an SDgecko adapter thing it would be enough to pull it off? Although I don’t have a modded Wii, is there a way to load the exploited file in some way into the SDgecko sd and try to trick windwaker into loading the save? Like a bunch files I can put on the SD and have it able to be recognised or do I need to make the exploit in an actual console?
Thanks for the help dude I’ve just bought a Gamecube after a great many years and I’m excited to wrap my head around all this and just get playing!

No. The SD card adapter cannot be used as a memory card without a workaround. The homebrew SWISS can emulate memory cards, but it's buggy and not worth the headache.

The way it works, is you put the modded game save onto the memory card, the game loads the save, then the exploit loads the targeted homebrew.

Next best thing you can do is either have someone put the modded save on your memory card with their modded console, buy a pre-modded one (Fleabay), or just buy an Action Replay (older version that allow custom codes) / SD Media Launcher.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you have a Wii, you have a fully functional and ready to go Gamecube.

I never understood people's obsession with pirating the GameCube, if a Wii does it all.

Its a beautiful system, I'll give it that, but as cheap as a Wii is, hacking the GameCube is pointless.

GBAPlayer doesn't warrant hacking, does it?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a Wii, you have a fully functional and ready to go Gamecube.

I never understood people's obsession with pirating the GameCube, if a Wii does it all.

Its a beautiful system, I'll give it that, but as cheap as a Wii is, hacking the GameCube is pointless.

GBAPlayer doesn't warrant hacking, does it?

Not all Wii’s have GC capabilities and AFAIK GBPlayer is one of the better/easier ways to play GB/C/A games on a TV without just using an emulator/FPGA, particularly if you want to use original/flash carts.

There’s also some niche reasons such as the Broadband adapter and rumble support in select GBA games.

Plus people might just like to use real original hardware.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't most games run from an SD card if you have Swiss and the appropriate adapter?

Yes but except for just installing a modchip I found it all to be a PITA. I did use a XenoGC for years, but eventually started having trouble with the drive reading burned discs. I tried the SD2SP2 and it was a nice trick, but I still needed the optical drive to 'get in.' When the GC Loader came back in stock I jumped at it. Using both (I run GBI from the SD2SP2, and Swiss and Gamecube games from the GC Loader) is a treat. In-game reset back to menu and no need for memory cards. The reasons for setting it up this way are explained in Half-Circle Forward vids on YT.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A XenoGC chip is supposedly able to be flashed with a small compressed version of Swiss Loader. That said there's a new cheap IPL chip being worked on that's going to negate the need for XenoGC or expensive GC Loader clones.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not as expensive as obtaining quality mini-dvd's these days.

Sorry about not in stock ... that just happened as Black Dog still had some left on Jan 2nd.
Mini-DVDs are more obtainable without an exborinate markup (not to mention you can just use full sized DVDs with no cover), more expensive in the long run, but what can you do if they can't fulfill orders.

Don't most games run from an SD card if you have Swiss and the appropriate adapter?

Pretty much. I've found in the very early years (2012-ish) SWISS (or the older backup loaders pre-dating SWISS) to not run games correctly (and to 2022, still doesn't run games 100% accurately).

If you want very good game compatibility, go DVD (can't include games that include audio streaming). Otherwise, bother with the hardware mods the GC-Loader intakes.

At the end of the day, only the user can choose their mods and run with it according to their dreams.

tl;dr No, GC-Loader isn't the end all - Since it's not as obtainable as a "soft mod" like SD Media Launcher or an exploited game. But it all works about the same at the end.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GCLoader sounds very good. The very high price and problematic availability have to be considered. What stops me from agreeing to the ODE being the ultimate thing with no downsides is, that it replaces the drive and doesn't have a passthrough (I think WODE could do this). The hatred towards optical discs is understandable with the fragility of media and drives, but… I don't know. Something is missing without. 99% of the time I play the Wii with USB loader; but I wouldn't feel good with a modification like "take out the drive and mount a HDD inside soldering to the USB connector" which some people did in order to not have a HDD next to the console.
If I get my hands on a GCLoader, I'll install it into a GameCube with broken drive.

As for practical, cost effective solutions: In my opinion loading from SD-Gecko or SD2SP2 has become very good; no skipping or stuttering cutscenes, no overly long loading times for the few games I tried (Resident Evil skipped two years ago). The Windwaker exploit is very convenient for unmodifed GC – pressing (Start) on title screen – assuming one already own a legit copy of Windwaker since it is somewhat expensive now.

The costs for a XenoGC and good mini DVD-R are neglectable when only using one good disc for Swiss (it can automatically load newer versions from Memory Card or SD) for SD card loading instead of burning all your games to discs. It saves the drive from stress as well. Playing games from DVD-R isn't my preferred method with the bad performance (disc read errors) of GC drives on burned media.

It comes down to personal preference, things a person owns right now (like an exploitable game) and the amount of money one is willing to spent. I would say all different methods for homebrew and backup loading are usable in practice. Being impatient even the Windwaker exploit took too long for me, so I chose the XenoGC route for booting directly to Swiss (GCLoader didn't exist when I did this). Was a fun soldering job as well.

To everybody:
Choose YOUR way; good luck and have fun!

Reactions: raging_chaos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5