GCN Is Xeno chip really needed?

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok so that's my question.

I finally got my Gamecube from Japan with the Gameboy Player included! It cost me bit, and then I had to pay custom tax %&#%$ anyway I got this gamecube to play GBA games.

Is the Xeno chip really needed in my case? I will be getting the SD2SP2, a Memory Card, and I have a backwards compatible Wii to acess the Gamecube Memory Card. Would I still need to install the Xeno chip in order to launch Swiss or GBI player etc?

I do have the Xeno chip, and I would probably install it, I am just wondering if this is even needed to run homebrew in my specific case. Also anyone know if I can change the Japanese to english in my Japanese console? Cheers to all and thank you for reading!!

:)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so that's my question.

I finally got my Gamecube from Japan with the Gameboy Player included! It cost me bit, and then I had to pay custom tax %&#%$ anyway I got this gamecube to play GBA games.

Is the Xeno chip really needed in my case? I will be getting the SD2SP2, a Memory Card, and I have a backwards compatible Wii to acess the Gamecube Memory Card. Would I still need to install the Xeno chip in order to launch Swiss or GBI player etc?

I do have the Xeno chip, and I would probably install it, I am just wondering if this is even needed to run homebrew in my specific case. Also anyone know if I can change the Japanese to english in my Japanese console? Cheers to all and thank you for reading!!

:)
Save exploit negates the need for a hardmod

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? But maybe the Xeno chip could help me making my japanese Gamecube region free/english, or Xeno chip does not have this features? I am sorry to bother you with this :)

Thank you Shadow!
Xeno GC is just a drive chip has no user menu

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
not sure if im mistaken here, but you will still need an exploit game too afaik https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

there is quite a few available, so you should be able to get one pretty cheap, but you will need a Japanese game, if you have the chip anyway and your fairly confident with the install process you should be able to just install it and make yourself a Swiss boot disk keep it in the console and always boot straight into it

while your there, you can mod the gamecube to be NTSC-U which would change the menu to English
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/game-cube-region-switch/

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Really? But maybe the Xeno chip could help me making my japanese Gamecube region free/english, or Xeno chip does not have this features? I am sorry to bother you with this :)

Thank you Shadow!

Xeno (like other chips) makes games region free, but it doesn't change the system language.

A number of Japanese games have compatibility issues if played on a Gamecube not configured for Japanese.

Reactions: nashismo

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeno is region free plus if you dont want to install it you can add a switch to your cube that will change the regions between us and japan but not pal

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thank you Shadow!
Xeno Chip is region free like mentioned above but you could install a switch that would allow your console to play japan and usa but not pal if you want to butcher your cubes shell. I would install the chip personally you get much more use out of it.

My setup is Xeno chip, Swiss disk permanently in system, and SD2SP2 with a 256gb micro SD formatted to Fat16 for quick access then all the imports I have I can still play and I can still back them up quickly

Last edited by Zonark,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While we're on the subject, is it possible now to use an ordinary DVD burner (with a mini DVD-R, of course) to make a disc that will boot on an unmodded Gamecube? I've seen videos like this that suggest Datel's secrets are common knowledge, but I guess with the ease of using exploits and the relative scarcity of mini DVD-Rs, no one really bothers?

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
not sure if im mistaken here, but you will still need an exploit game too afaik https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

there is quite a few available, so you should be able to get one pretty cheap, but you will need a Japanese game, if you have the chip anyway and your fairly confident with the install process you should be able to just install it and make yourself a Swiss boot disk keep it in the console and always boot straight into it

while your there, you can mod the gamecube to be NTSC-U which would change the menu to English
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/game-cube-region-switch/

Thank you so much! That's super helpful. Thank you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Xeno (like other chips) makes games region free, but it doesn't change the system language.

A number of Japanese games have compatibility issues if played on a Gamecube not configured for Japanese.

But wouldn't this work the other way around too? As in using a Japanese BIOS, some US games could have compatibility issues? Thank you for you feedback guys, you are really great :toot:

Last edited by nashismo,

A0211

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While we're on the subject, is it possible now to use an ordinary DVD burner (with a mini DVD-R, of course) to make a disc that will boot on an unmodded Gamecube? I've seen videos like this that suggest Datel's secrets are common knowledge, but I guess with the ease of using exploits and the relative scarcity of mini DVD-Rs, no one really bothers?

Hey man did you ever get an answer for this? I’m seeing the sd2sp2 adapters that come with a boot disc which just looks like a plain mini dvd with the software written, I don’t have a xeno chip and was wondering if it’s actually this easy or if I’m just p*ssing in the wind, thanks in advanced

A0211

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Hey did you ever get a definitive answer for this? I’m about to buy one of the sd2 adapters and it comes with this Swiss boot disc that looks just like a plain mini dvd overwritten with the software. Is it actually just this easy now to play backed up games without a xenochip or am I just p*ssing into the wind

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m seeing the sd2sp2 adapters that come with a boot disc which just looks like a plain mini dvd with the software written, I don’t have a xeno chip and was wondering if it’s actually this easy

You still need a modchip to be able to run the Swiss DVD that comes with SD2SP2. There is no direct boot method to boot backups the way it was done with the Dreamcast.

Xeno GC chip + Swiss boot disc gets you playing games a lot faster than Save game exploit on a Memory Card + Retail disc.

Reactions: A0211

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey did you ever get a definitive answer for this? I’m about to buy one of the sd2 adapters and it comes with this Swiss boot disc that looks just like a plain mini dvd overwritten with the software. Is it actually just this easy now to play backed up games without a xenochip or am I just p*ssing into the wind

Check the listing, of the 2 I looked at you still needed a modchip installed.

AFAIK the only options are either a pressed disc (i.e. a save exploit, AR, etc.), a modchip or an ODE.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK datel figured out how to master a DVD in a similar way to Nintendo, it doesn't mean you can burn it though.

IIRC there are laser cuts on the surface of the disc and the position of the cuts is encoded on the inner ring.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A0211

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reallly appreciate the help folks, so just to make sure Ive got it right, so far the only way for me to play backups on an unmodded GC is with an official action replay media launcher disc+SdAdapter kit loaded with Swiss along with an optional SD2SP2 adapter for extra storage?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill