Homebrew Question Is Tinfoil 8's modded ams_mitm.kip safe?

falcorr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm ultimately attempting to re-visit the JITS / HBG 'shops'. I've used modded Tinfoil 5 very happily for ages but it returns a blank list of files (with sizes listed however) from the former and only a blank motd file from the latter. I'm guessing they require some functionality only present in newer Tinfoil versions, i.e. version 8.

Installing Tinfoil 8 though, it requires I let it add a modified ams_mitm.kip. I'm certainly not using modified Atmosphere but if I must, and there seems to be a consensus that this modded kip is safe, I'll use this kip.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ultimately attempting to re-visit the JITS / HBG 'shops'. I've used modded Tinfoil 5 very happily for ages but it returns a blank list of files (with sizes listed however) from the former and only a blank motd file from the latter. I'm guessing they require some functionality only present in newer Tinfoil versions, i.e. version 8.

Installing Tinfoil 8 though, it requires I let it add a modified ams_mitm.kip. I'm certainly not using modified Atmosphere but if I must, and there seems to be a consensus that this modded kip is safe, I'll use this kip.

A fork is recommended that removes the atmosphere restrictions: http://tinfoil.io/ams it is open source and you can compile it yourself if you want it, and is maintained by another developer in the scene.

If you run a fork that removes the BIS write blocks, Tinfoil will not prompt for the kip. You could also make the changes to atmosphere yourself.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's safe, but as mentioned above, you're going to want to use a forked Atmosphere instead if you want to use blawar's Tinfoil. The kip isn't going to work indefinitely.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in this case any brickachu can ruin your prodinfo and without backup it's a brick.

That is possible with vanilla atmosphere, scires himself even admitted his protection is not to stop malicious apps from bricking cal0 because that is easy to do even with ams' write protection. The write protection only blocks reading, not writing pretty much.

People should always have backups. SX does not block reads/writes to cal0 either.

There is zero reason for atmosphere to have that code.

Last edited by blawar,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT