Hacking Is this the right card for me?

deepruntramp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to be "that guy" and post a question like this, but...

I'm about to buy my first DS flashcard and am getting pretty overwhelmed by the choices. I've played with custom firmware on the PSP, and aside from the initial setup and occasional firmware updates, it's been pretty painless. Essentially copy/paste and play.

I've come down to the CycloDS and the Acekard2i. In order, I'm most interested in:

1.) Compatibility.

2.) The lowest effort:enjoyment ratio possible (which relates to #1). I don't want to have to scour forums for obscure updates and patches; I just want to copy/paste and go, with the occasional official firmware update. That might not be possible, but I'd like an experience that limits the work I have to do as much as possible.

3.) Ideally, hardware/compatibility updates that are officially released by the card manufacturer. When DarkAlexx disappeared from the PSP firmware development, shit kind of hit the fan for awhile. Eventually, the well-appreciated programmers who update firmware and OS's are going to realize they're not getting paid for their work, or they'll find a more demanding job, or they'll have a kid, or whatever. I don't want my card to be useless when this happens.

4.) Price, of course. Note that this is the least important of my interests, though.

What I don't care about:

-Cheats.
-Slow-mo.

If those mean you can recommend me a different card, great!

Thanks for your patience!

PS: Forgot to mention, I just have a DSLite and have no intention of "upgrading," so I don't need DSi support.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Compatibility is pretty much a crapshoot nowadays because of all the different types of Anti-piracy created by the game companies. When a new ROM is released, it might work on only one flash cart, or it might work for half, or all of them, etc. There is no single flash cart that has been shown to be completely future-proof (able to run any new game right off the bat). The most recent case is of Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. The only flash cart that was able to run this was Acekard. I heard that this was because its firmware was previously updated to accommodate the Korean version's Anti-piracy, which was the same as the US version's. The Cyclo was updated a few days later to work with these games. No other flash cart currently has a patch for these games. But overall, I'd say the Cyclo and Acekard have about the same overall compatibility.
2. They have about the same ease of use, though the Cyclo's GUI is probably more beginner-friendly. The only thing you'd have to put into your carts regularly are updates and cheats (which you don't care about), and ROMs of course.
3. If this is a concern, then I'd say go for the Cyclo since it has the best official support of any flash cart. Acekard's only trump card is the fact that it has unofficial support firmware called the AKAIO. This is done buy a guy called Normatt (you can search for him on this site). I understand your concern that he might abandon at this project anytime since he has nothing to lose. For example, a while ago another hacker ported the AKAIO to the R4 flash carts, which greatly angered Normatt, who threatened to stop his work on AKAIO. Many people believed this, and a lot of supporters of the Acekard quickly turned sides after this happened because the AKAIO was the only good thing about the Acekard. Fortunately, this was not the case and Normatt continued his work on the AKAIO and released an update quite recently, which is still on the front page of this site.
4. CycloDS will cost around $40-$50, while the Acekard will cost less than $20.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to ignore you questions and say that if you don't mind paying a little bit extra for a cart that gets updated (AP Fixes, etc) very frequently and has a few extra features (launching gba games from the GUI, in game text reader), then I would say go for it.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Yes, if the cost is of little importance then you will be getting yourself a well supported flashcart, which was a major factor for me when i was thinking of my 1st purchase of the CycloDS.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100% on the not wanting your support team to quit on you. I suggest Cyclo and while your at it get you a EZ-Flash 3-in-1 slot 2. I have bought 3 of both and unless I get a DSi I wouldn't have anything else.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I'd also recommend you getting the Cyclo as well. It's true, though, that many other carts have close to the same compatibility as the Cyclo and I would say the main reason for paying a premium price for the Cyclo is for the much more reliable in-game text reader, slow-mo and RTS features than other carts that offer the same functions. You may not care about it, but I was the same when I first got the Cyclo. But, occasionally, you come across that one part in that one game where these kinds of features prove useful for helping you out without having to outright cheat, and it's great when the option is there. Anyway, getting a flashcart is a long-term investment (you're likely going to be using it for a year or more) so I'd say the $50 price tag is hardly a problem. Might as well go for the best.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
tattar8 said:
QUOTE said:
with these games. No other flash cart currently has a patch for these games.
iEDGE does. In fact, that's what I'm going to recommend to you, OP
Supercard EOS too. Anyway of the two I recommend Cyclo, they show no signs of dropping support in my opinion, which is good with all the Anti-Piracy nowadays. Acekard is alot cheaper though.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pro's:
+ Really good support. (They listen alot to you on the forums etc. and the support will probably be continued for a long time)
+ Extreme compatibility, fast fixes, and a really stable game loader. (Look at latest 1.58 final for a good example). Also one of the few cards that supports NDS-Wii connectivity. (And keeps it updated).
+ Extreme slot-2 support, EZ-flash 3-in-1 support is like perfect. (Rumble, GBA)
+ Nice, fast working GUI. Which will be improved in the future, but that's not their first priority so it could take a while.
tongue.gif

+ A lot of other features:
  • RTS
  • Battery saver
  • Ingame menu (Cheat codes dis-/enable, Backlight control, text reader, and the mentioned RTS, and slomo (which you don't care about
    tongue.gif
    ))
  • Other shortcuts etc. I don't know atm, but easy things like startup shortcuts to play the last-played-game etc.
  • Appears in DS menu. So you can choose to autoboot, or also have he normal NDS menu available.
Cons:
- Really expensive in comparison to other cards. (Especially the Acecard, which also has an awesome development team, for a lower price)
- The GUI is working good and clean, but is becoming a bit outdated. (Nowadays, we need copy/paste features, and other stuff, but they are already working on it)

Also, some other features which every flashcard is supporting now like SDHC support, clean roms blablabla.
Might wanna check:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53450 - old review.

If money is not an option, go for the CycloDS. Otherwise, go for an original Acecard 2, and use AKAIO. (Don't buy an Acecard clone, because AKAIO won't run then, and AKAIO is the only worthy reason to acually get an Acecard now)

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tac 21 said:
what is the best place to buy a Cyclo DS?
Definitely 0shippingzone.com they have the cheapest price for it and good service.

Anyways I would recommend you the Acekard 2i because it has FAST updates with AKAIO. Faster than CycloDS. It has tons of cool options, such as upgrading its firmware through Wifi instead off keep putting your MicroSD into your computer and stuff. But CycloDS is very good too if you want features. Plus if you want you could talk to the developer off AKAIO( Acekards firmware ) anytime you want in IRC, and if you have a problem you could always ask him, or talk to him about other random crap lol.

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
deepruntramp I'd recommend you get a CycloDS and if you also want GBA a EZ-Flash 3-in-1. The CycloDS can run GBA games right from the gui without using any homebrew apps.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my Cyclo DS Evo for years and not once has it ever let me down. The support team always hits home with a new firmware update when required (pokemon HG/SS, WarioWare DIY, etc) which in my opinion justifies the slightly higher cost. The Cyclo will play damn near anything. The only fault with it is that it's not compatile with the DSi from what I've heard, but if you have a Lite it's by far the best card on the market if you ask me.

Now I'm gonna go make a game on Warioware DIY on my Cyclo in which a pirate beheads a Nintendo executive
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay