Homebrew Is this enough to do a hardmod?

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to hard mod my system. I'm following the list of materials from this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/. Minus the wires and butt connectors, which I'm going to order online because nowhere around me sells them, is this enough?

thumbnail_image1.jpg

I'm practicing by modding my girlfriends old GBA SP. I'm picking up a broken 3DS tonight or tomorrow for $10 and I can use that for further practice/getting familiar with the system. Just wanted to make sure I'm not gonna run into any crazy issues here... been pondering this for a few weeks, finally doing something about it.

Reactions: Duckling

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should be fine as long as you have at least 1 month of experience with soldering. Soldering isn't something you can learn in a few days, so it would be best to spend more time learning before trying it on something expensive. If you're just learning it now, you should either spend a lot more time learning, or get someone else that has experience to do it. You should be fine if you have experience with it.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, what exactly is wrong with the ds you are buying? If its a nand issue, you won't be able to do anything without a previous dump of the nand, if it is another hardware issue, you may have to buy replacement parts (which are still cheaper than buying a console)

Reactions: gnmmarechal

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to hard mod my system. I'm following the list of materials from this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/. Minus the wires and butt connectors, which I'm going to order online because nowhere around me sells them, is this enough?

thumbnail_image1.jpg

I'm practicing by modding my girlfriends old GBA SP. I'm picking up a broken 3DS tonight or tomorrow for $10 and I can use that for further practice/getting familiar with the system. Just wanted to make sure I'm not gonna run into any crazy issues here... been pondering this for a few weeks, finally doing something about it.
What is your goal? If you just wanna downgrade or restore a nand backup you could do a temporary hardmod. That way you wouldn't have to make holes or make it look pretty.

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, what exactly is wrong with the ds you are buying? If its a nand issue, you won't be able to do anything without a previous dump of the nand, if it is another hardware issue, you may have to buy replacement parts (which are still cheaper than buying a console)

It's literally broken in half. I have a fully working 3DS, which is why I don't want to screw around with it first haha.

What is your goal? If you just wanna downgrade or restore a nand backup you could do a temporary hardmod. That way you wouldn't have to make holes or make it look pretty.

What's a temporary hardmod? And yeah, downgrade is the end goal :P

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

thumbnail_image1.jpg

I wish you the best of luck modding your 3DS. In the end it's all worth it and you'll save $$$.
Good luck!

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's literally broken in half. I have a fully working 3DS, which is why I don't want to screw around with it first haha.

What's a temporary hardmod? And yeah, downgrade is the end goal :P
Exactly what it sounds like. You remove it once you're done downgrading and installing custom firmware. This way you won't have to make holes. Once you have a9lh, you probably won't need to use the hardmod again. You also won't need plugs since you can solder wires directly from the mother board to the sd adapter.

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish you the best of luck modding your 3DS. In the end it's all worth it and you'll save $$$.
Good luck!

thank you!

Exactly what it sounds like. You remove it once you're done downgrading and installing custom firmware. This way you won't have to make holes. Once you have a9lh, you probably won't need to use the hardmod again. You also won't need plugs since you can solder wires directly from the mother board to the sd adapter.

ok tru ill look into that. didnt end up picking up the 3ds yesterday but hopefully today. a little practice and ill be golden. thanks guys!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

thumbnail_image1.jpg

What is the tube on the top left? Solder flux? If so then yes that's a good thing to have.

Looks like you're missing solder based on that picture, but I assume you have some that you didn't show, hehe.

Make sure you use rosin core solder with lead, and not the lead-free kind as they are far worse for soldering with.

Solder flux is actually optional, but still recommended.

Make sure the tip of the soldering iron is small enough, and when you do the actual soldering, melt a tiny amount of tin onto the wire tip, melt a tiny amount onto the pad, then touch them together with the soldering iron and they should melt right together. Don't apply tin onto the soldering iron and then try to apply it to the soldering point, you'll probably apply too much solder and either way it will make it harder.

But before all that, make sure you have plenty of soldering practice, it's not something to be taken lightly when it can mean the difference between a working console and a nonworking one.

Also for the hardmod connector, a micro JST connector is often recommended (something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-SETS-Min...740645?hash=item3aaaecace5:g:PfgAAOSwKrhVZx0J ) as they are small and easy to fit in the case, and there's no chance of anyone confusing it with an actual MicroUSB charging connector and frying the NAND like some people have done.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is the tube on the top left? Solder flux? If so then yes that's a good thing to have.

Looks like you're missing solder based on that picture, but I assume you have some that you didn't show, hehe.

Make sure you use rosin core solder with lead, and not the lead-free kind as they are far worse for soldering with.

Solder flux is actually optional, but still recommended.

Make sure the tip of the soldering iron is small enough, and when you do the actual soldering, melt a tiny amount of tin onto the wire tip, melt a tiny amount onto the pad, then touch them together with the soldering iron and they should melt right together. Don't apply tin onto the soldering iron and then try to apply it to the soldering point, you'll probably apply too much solder and either way it will make it harder.

But before all that, make sure you have plenty of soldering practice, it's not something to be taken lightly when it can mean the difference between a working console and a nonworking one.

Also for the hardmod connector, a micro JST connector is often recommended (something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-SETS-Min...740645?hash=item3aaaecace5:g:PfgAAOSwKrhVZx0J ) as they are small and easy to fit in the case, and there's no chance of anyone confusing it with an actual MicroUSB charging connector and frying the NAND like some people have done.

Ok perfect, thanks for the advice. I'm ordering those connectors right now lol. my first project is gonna be adding a micro usb charging port to my gf's old SP. which brings me to another question i had for you guys: is desoldering braid sufficient to remove microUSB ports and such, or do i need a heat gun or another tool for that?

PS yes thats tinning flux, and its hard to see in the picture but theres some solder wrapped around the bottle :P i made sure it was rosin core!

Last edited by stzy,

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That exact card reader may not work with your hardmod. What system do you have?

Well thats balls I have an old 3Ds and I bought it because it was one of the ones listed specifically for this console :(

Also, just took apart the broken 3ds. seems like it wont be so bad, it's just gonna be desoldering the card reader to "bend it up". that's gonna be a pain in the ass without a heat gun or desoldering braid :(

Last edited by stzy,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well thats balls I have an old 3Ds and I bought it because it was one of the ones listed specifically for this console :(

Also, just took apart the broken 3ds. seems like it wont be so bad, it's just gonna be desoldering the card reader to "bend it up". that's gonna be a pain in the ass without a heat gun or desoldering braid :(
I wouldn't recommend attempting to desolder the card reader, it's supposedly difficult to do and should not be attempted by a beginner. It's likely easier to use the alternate point on the other side of the board, that's the route most people take.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't recommend attempting to desolder the card reader, it's supposedly difficult to do and should not be attempted by a beginner. It's likely easier to use the alternate point on the other side of the board, that's the route most people take.

but then i gotta flip it :( oh well, if you really think i should ill do it that way.

Guys these ribbon connector things are f*****, how do i reconnect them?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
they are standard ribbon cables in the o3DS, best advice for inserting and removing them is to open the 3DS out flat, this gives you a little extra wiggle room for the top LCD cables

and yeah i also suggest you use the reverse side clk point, the likely hood of damaging something else when trying to remove the cart slot is pretty high if your new to soldering, even i dislike removing them and i have lots of soldering experience, they are still annoying and a pain in the ass to get off in one piece, its not so bad when you are replacing the card slot as you can damage it and break it down to get it out, but for a hardmod you would have to try git it off in one piece

Last edited by gamesquest1,

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but then i gotta flip it :( oh well, if you really think i should ill do it that way.

Guys these ribbon connector things are f*****, how do i reconnect them?
For the wider ribbon cables, there will be a small flap on the ZIF connector that has to be gently flipped up. For the smaller ones, they just come out with a small amount of force. Look up how to use ZIF connectors if you have not seen them before. It's really not hard to break them.

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
they are standard ribbon cables in the o3DS, best advice for inserting and removing them is to open the 3DS out flat, this gives you a little extra wiggle room for the top LCD cables

and yeah i also suggest you use the reverse side clk point, the likely hood of damaging something else when trying to remove the cart slot is pretty high if your new to soldering, even i dislike removing them and i have lots of soldering experience, they are still annoying and a pain in the ass to get off in one piece, its not so bad when you are replacing the card slot as you can damage it and break it down to get it out, but for a hardmod you would have to try git it off in one piece

For the wider ribbon cables, there will be a small flap on the ZIF connector that has to be gently flipped up. For the smaller ones, they just come out with a small amount of force. Look up how to use ZIF connectors if you have not seen them before. It's really not hard to break them.

I just can't seem to get the smaller ones back in. im still practicing with the broken 3ds and 2ds, taking them apart and puting them together so i can do it more confidently. my soldering practice will come from the SP project, and any other little projects i can think up. i plan to begin the actual hardmod at the end of this month, maybe next month depending how i feel. im not trying to brick my shit :P

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just can't seem to get the smaller ones back in. im still practicing with the broken 3ds and 2ds, taking them apart and puting them together so i can do it more confidently. my soldering practice will come from the SP project, and any other little projects i can think up. i plan to begin the actual hardmod at the end of this month, maybe next month depending how i feel. im not trying to brick my shit :P
If you provide a picture of the exact ZIFs you are having issues with, I can perhaps tell you the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1