Homebrew Is this enough to do a hardmod?

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you provide a picture of the exact ZIFs you are having issues with, I can perhaps tell you the issue.

i actually already broke one. this is why im practicing on broken consoles, thank god lol.

am i suppose to push the ribbon all the way in?

13989626_1211467835552952_1383122878_n.png

Last edited by stzy,

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i actually already broke one. this is why im practicing on broken consoles, thank god lol.

am i suppose to push the ribbon all the way in?

13989626_1211467835552952_1383122878_n.png
With those ones that have the really tiny black clip, you push the ribbon in as far as it will go and then gently clip down the flap. That will lock it into place. Be very careful, as it is HELL to replace those clips.

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With those ones that have the really tiny black clip, you push the ribbon in as far as it will go and then gently clip down the flap. That will lock it into place. Be very careful, as it is HELL to replace those clips.

Ok will do. thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. if i get this up and running in the end its all thanks to you all.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Well thats balls I have an old 3Ds and I bought it because it was one of the ones listed specifically for this console

I tried it with an o3ds and a 2ds. I know the 2ds is very picky with card readers and the quality of the job in the o3ds was not very good, but even with good bootrom errors I couldn't get the card reader to mount the volume in Windows and Linux .

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried it with an o3ds and a 2ds. I know the 2ds is very picky with card readers and the quality of the job in the o3ds was not very good, but even with good bootrom errors I couldn't get the card reader to mount the volume in Windows and Linux .

Did you find a solution or did you just say fuck it in the end? Do you think the 03ds issues might have been due to the quality?

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just no. They are friction based, you insert and thats it.
MOST of them are friction clips. There are a select few of the small ones that have black clamps on them, namely the circle pad and the touch screen digitizer. The one in particular that he took a picture of was one such clip.

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
I want to hard mod my system. I'm following the list of materials from this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/. Minus the wires and butt connectors, which I'm going to order online because nowhere around me sells them, is this enough?

thumbnail_image1.jpg

I'm practicing by modding my girlfriends old GBA SP. I'm picking up a broken 3DS tonight or tomorrow for $10 and I can use that for further practice/getting familiar with the system. Just wanted to make sure I'm not gonna run into any crazy issues here... been pondering this for a few weeks, finally doing something about it.
Wrong section fren
3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, just no. They are friction based, you insert and thats it.

MOST of them are friction clips. There are a select few of the small ones that have black clamps on them, namely the circle pad and the touch screen digitizer. The one in particular that he took a picture of was one such clip.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by just "insert it"? Every ribbon I've had to remove so far has had a little clamp that needed to be flicked up before the ribbon could be removed. Does it clamp down automatically when you put it back in or what do you mean?

Ok I guess youre right

Last edited by stzy,

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOLOLOLOLOL

ok so i was trying to put the ribbon in from the wrong side for 2 or 3 days... sigh. i understand now lol

DerEineee

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You should be fine as long as you have at least 1 month of experience with soldering. Soldering isn't something you can learn in a few days, so it would be best to spend more time learning before trying it on something expensive. If you're just learning it now, you should either spend a lot more time learning, or get someone else that has experience to do it. You should be fine if you have experience with it.

I did it with no knowledge and it was really easy.
Soldering isn't this hard exept you have parkinson.

EDIT :
Ok to be fair... Knowledge is never bad, but you really don't need one month of experience!
Just watch one or two videos on youtube and test your flair.

Last edited by DerEineee,
Reactions: stzy

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did it with no knowledge and it was really easy.
Soldering isn't this hard exept you have parkinson.

EDIT :
Ok to be fair... Knowledge is never bad, but you really don't need one month of experience!
Just watch one or two videos on youtube and test your flair.

Ok thanks dude. everyone here has been super helpful and knowledgable but reading this definitely calmed my nerves a little.

I actually had a pretty grand idea. I have the PCB (correct terminology?)from the broken 3ds literally out of the system right now, so I might attempt to take a part my working console and replace the PCB or whatever. If everything works ill do the hardmod on that system. who knows, maybe it will already be on 9.2 lol... hopefully this works wish me luck :)

EDIT: i just remembered i fucked up the ZIF connector or friction based connector or whatever tf for the circle pad connection. i should be able to navigate with the d pad so im still gonna attemp this

Last edited by stzy,
Reactions: DerEineee

zainbrown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys I am new. I was wondering what the rate is for hardmodding the 3DS and if it would be worth it or should I just wait for another exploit

Thanks

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks dude. everyone here has been super helpful and knowledgable but reading this definitely calmed my nerves a little.

I actually had a pretty grand idea. I have the PCB (correct terminology?)from the broken 3ds literally out of the system right now, so I might attempt to take a part my working console and replace the PCB or whatever. If everything works ill do the hardmod on that system. who knows, maybe it will already be on 9.2 lol... hopefully this works wish me luck :)

EDIT: i just remembered i fucked up the ZIF connector or friction based connector or whatever tf for the circle pad connection. i should be able to navigate with the d pad so im still gonna attemp this
If you broke the clip off of the ZIF connector for the circle pad, you can secure it in the connector with electrical tape. Not pretty, but it works.

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys I am new. I was wondering what the rate is for hardmodding the 3DS and if it would be worth it or should I just wait for another exploit

Thanks
If you're good at soldering, you'll be fine. You could also take it to an electronics repair shop and ask them to do it for you. There might not be an 11.0 kernel exploit for a while.

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey so taking apart my WORKING 3ds, main PCB or whatever won't "flip" because there seems to be some kind of adhesive near the charging port... is there? am i good to apply enough pressure to flip it or is there something more i need to do?

EDIT: my apologies i just got it off... for anyone interested, it was some kind of adhesive.

Last edited by stzy,

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so got the PCB switched up and everything is going good. it ended up being on 9.5 so i downgraded that to 9.2 and now i have luma and rednand and all that jazz. only issues so far is the top screen brightness is set to max, it's doing some weird lighting effects around the edges when the system reboots, and i cant adjust the brightness settings (bottom screen is fine). anyone know what's up with that?
If you broke the clip off of the ZIF connector for the circle pad, you can secure it in the connector with electrical tape. Not pretty, but it works.
can i use solder or will that screw things up?

KeyMastar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so got the PCB switched up and everything is going good. it ended up being on 9.5 so i downgraded that to 9.2 and now i have luma and rednand and all that jazz. only issues so far is the top screen brightness is set to max, it's doing some weird lighting effects around the edges when the system reboots, and i cant adjust the brightness settings (bottom screen is fine). anyone know what's up with that?

can i use solder or will that screw things up?
The weird lighting effects is probably the casing pressing on the sides of the screen. The old models are known to do that. Not being able to change the brightness, now that's not an issue i've heard of before.

Do not use solder for these zif connectors. Unless you are a soldering god, you will not be able to solder each individual pin to their individual contact without shorting something. Electrical tape or a new clip will have to suffice.

Reactions: stzy

stzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok thanks man. Question guys: I'm going to attempt a temporary hardmod on my working console. Do I just solder one end of the wires to the contacts and the other end to an SD card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup