Is there any "3DS Bricker"?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MegaGenesis, Oct 7, 2018.

1. MegaGenesis
    OP

MegaGenesis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    Some time ago i heard about malware-like programs (disguised as games ROMs) for the NDS called "DS Brickers". They essentially corrupt the OS, bricking the console. I also heard some of them work on the 3DS (corrupting the TWLNAND). Now, is there such thing made for the 3DS?

2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Afaik the only malicious homebrew application in 3DS history is a spyware called UnbanMii. Plus in most cases you can restore a NAND backup if you were to get bricked.

MegaGenesis likes this.
  3. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    We've been pretty lucky not to have anyone make a bricker in this scene yet (at least a publicly known one).

It's definitely possible, even from userland, so be careful and only download homebrew from trusted open source projects.
    And if you have to pirate, it'd be a good idea to check the executable out in Citra first or wait for forum responses when something is freshly uploaded.

Last edited by zoogie, Oct 7, 2018
  4. MegaGenesis
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    Oh, thanks for the tip. I never tried 3DS emulation. Thats one good to use, i guess. I program to look inside the .cia file would be good to. Like Ultra ISO can look inside .bin files.

5. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Germany
    3DSLink/R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition/Gateway 2.0b2. But that is water under the bridge and there is not any known bricker to be afraid of yet.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Hex edit your nand in Godmode9 if you want to brick it :P

7. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    What happens to the 3DS when that app is installed? I'm curious now ^^

8. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    DS Bricker can brick the 3DS (TWL firm)*.

Shared by @NFates in another thread here. Within the Hispanic 3DS modding community:
    [​IMG]

Freebrew - ??

[​IMG]

The three below are not malware.

MCU Bricker or RGB_rave.cia. This one doesn't actually brick your 3DS but does demonstrate how a real MCU brick looks like. See @Sono's post #15 below.

fefoSheep - A funny take on freeShop.

[​IMG]

BrickedMode9 - April fool's edition of GodMode9 styled after the infamous hardmod bootrom brick.

[​IMG]

Your 3DS console's soul gets stolen by the Themely devil. Your 3DS gets accused of bad deeds it didn't commit in online play or elsewhere. Nevertheless, the almighty Nintendo will smite your handheld with the ban hammer.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Oct 8, 2018
    zfreeman, Dionicio3 and MegaGenesis like this.
  9. MegaGenesis
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    Wow, i wasn't expecting so many responses. Now to think about it, what would happen when you run a DS Bricker on a NDS emulator, like DeSmuME?

10. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    If you can find homebrew which dissables/changes the LED light (and downgrade to 8.0 and lower I think), you can get MCU brick, which is unrecoverable (iirc).

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Oct 8, 2018
  11. Sono

Sono HoH SiSter

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    Yes, there are 3DS brickers, but all of them brick the NAND only and are recoverable (except one case where if you have a specific piece of hardware in the 3DS you could permanently render it by doing an undocumented behavior on it).

As for MCU brickers, there have been unsuccessful attempts, and some have been completely lost from existance without anyone running them, so we don't know if those were functional at all.

It doesn't brick your 3DS. The (questionable) files it uploaded were used to check if someone is using a real 3DS or someone is trying to hack into the system with garbage data. Now that the UnbanMii servers are dead, it's completely harmless.

Absolutely nothing. The servers are dead, so it should just error out and not do anything.

I remember the malware.wikia of UnbanMii conaining some bullshit, so take that with a grain of salt.
    Edit: it seems like someone has updated the malware.wikia page since my last visit, so ignore this block.

That was just a joke to make people not stay on 4.5 with menuhax rxTools. Even though old MCU versions were filled with bugs, running my joke program on it did nothing. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS INVALID RGB COLOR!
    As for why I said 8.x is the safe point, it's because the mcu sysmodule was updated at that version, even though MCU_FIRM itself hasn't been updated in a year when it came out. So technically the latest MCU_FIRM was released in the 7.x system update.

Last edited by Sono, Oct 8, 2018 - Reason: removed obvious way to brick a 3DS
    ry755 and Dionicio3 like this.
  12. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I am not talking about your joke program. But if you go to 8.0 and lower, start playing with mcu and remove power, you can fry the mcu firmware.

13. Sono

Sono HoH SiSter

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    No, you can't. MCU_FIRM doesn't get downgraded by the mcu sysmodule.

Edit: I have reverse engineered the mcu sysmodule (just look at 3dbrew) and in the (very very long) process of reverse engineering 3 versions of MCU_FIRM, and I can assure you that you can't brick the MCU unintentionally if you downgrade to 8.x or below. I have not tested this below 2.1 though, but I have downgraded my original old3DS from 11.0 to 1.0 and it still works.

Last edited by Sono, Oct 8, 2018
    zfreeman likes this.
  14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Slightly off-topic but figured I'd ask. After spending so much timt with studying the MCU have you figured out what caused N3DSes bricking when put into sleep mode on 2.1?

15. Sono

Sono HoH SiSter

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Nope, not yet. However, I know that 2.1 MCU_FIRM behaves somewhat differently from new3DS MCU_FIRM. The main difference is that 2.1 has almost no safety checks. Luckily it still prevents you from writing into inaccessible areas, but it doesn't mask away them. Also, in 2.1 the default error value was 0xAA instead of 0xFF.

As ofr why the new3DS bricks, I have a suspicion that it might be caused by trying to write into a new3DS-only partition which is different on old3DS. But it's just a theory anyways.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I almost missed this one

That's not how a real MCU brick looks like. The name of it is again - just to mock the peope who still believe in that bullshit.

A real MCU brick wouldn't look anyhow, because your 3DS wouldn't even turn on.

ry755 and SomeGamer like this.
  16. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Corrected my earlier post. I tried looking for info on MCU brick symptoms and that's all I could find.

However, that does bring up the question: Could a real MCU bricker be feasibly possible to program? A simply yes, no, or no comment answer will suffice.

If you answer this, I rather you don't delve into the technical aspects in how a supposed black hat programmer would pull it off. In case anyone out there with malicious intent decides to pursue this, it's best they don't gain knowledge in a working proof of concept.

Edit - It doesn't have to be a MCU. Anything that permanently renders a 3DS unusable or bricked with no recovery falls under that question.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Oct 8, 2018
    Sono likes this.
  17. Sono

Sono HoH SiSter

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Yes, it's sadly way too easy to intentionally brick the MCU :(

As for how a real MCU brick would look like if someone were to brick you from ARM11 then here's a recreation:
    Video

As for how accurate this is: depends on the method someone used to brick.

</post>

damn man, it hurts NOT to explain something when I have the freedom of a physical keyboard :sad:

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  18. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Well that answers one burning question I had about the 3ds.