is there a way to backup ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by FunThomas, Feb 2, 2016.

1. FunThomas
    OP

FunThomas GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hi,

is it possible with the actual tools to make a backup and restore savegames saved on the wiiu or games bought on eshop or delivered as pre-installed on wiiu ?

best regards,
    Thomas

2. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, go into Settings to Data Management and copy them to your USB stick.

If you want them in a raw format to use with Loadiine you can use Saviine by Maschell.

3. FunThomas
    OP

FunThomas GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
  4. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    That is not a good backup plan. That's like backing up your files from your C partition into the D: partition on the same drive.

5. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    How so? Internal storage and USB are not on the same drive. Could you not copy all saves to USB, do a factory reset on the Wii U, and copy them back to internal storage, and have them work the same? I think the only difference is being linked to the user profile, which is why I mentioned Saviine.

6. Ailuros27

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Anything saved to an external drive by the Wii U is like what's saved to the 3DS' SD card. It only works with the system it was saved from, and a reformatted system counts as a completely different system. So backing up to SD without Saviine is useless if your console is reformatted/lost/stolen/broken. Saviine is the best way for now.

7. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Yea, exactly what Ailuros said. Backups should protect again all scenarios, especially worst case scenarios. What happens when someone steals your Wii U? They are probably going to steal your USB drive too. Even if they don't, your drive won't work with another Wii U.

I hope you don't backup your computer like that. What happens if your house burns down or something? Is everything important in the cloud?

8. Ailuros27

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    I learned the hard way.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

RIP my Mii Plaza data.