Hardware Is there a faster MicroSD card then this?

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not being concerned with size, but instead, brand reliability and SPEED, is there a card better than this for the Switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRDM5...olid=1QUU8YGCEWNQ5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This particular card was highly recommended a while back, but I haven't kept up since. Yes, I know you can get 200GB Sandisk for cheaper. I know you can get 400+GB cards as well, but if 256GB were enough space for me and one only was concerned about getting the fastest card, that is at the same time reliable, can the above be beat? I just want to make sure I make a good purchase, the first time around. I hate having to double spend. I have no current MicroSD card and am still using the internal nand for space.

Thanks so much for anyone who replies with any knowledge and insight, above and beyond what I already have.

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

So the link you sent is technically faster then the Samsung I linked, but I won't even notice a difference on the Switch, meaning it would be a waste to get it? The price is 4x for 1/4 of the space too. I suppose this means in terms of what the Switch can actually utilize properly, the Samsung I linked is still the best I can get?

Again, thanks for your time in replying.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

So the link you sent is technically faster then the Samsung I linked, but I won't even notice a difference on the Switch, meaning it would be a waste to get it? The price is 4x for 1/4 of the space too. I suppose this means in terms of what the Switch can actually utilize properly, the Samsung I linked is still the best I can get?

Again, thanks for your time in replying.
Yeh exactly, if I understand the SDcard.org link. U3 is the max for SDXC. So I'm not 100% sure, but sure looks like it to the graph.

The samsung card will be plenty good :)

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The video speed class is not relevant though. That's sequencial read/write while games will rather read random chunks. So you want a card with application speed rating (A1 should be fine).

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeh exactly, if I understand the SDcard.org link. U3 is the max for SDXC. So I'm not 100% sure, but sure looks like it to the graph.

The samsung card will be plenty good :)

The video speed class is not relevant though. That's sequencial read/write while games will rather read random chunks. So you want a card with application speed rating (A1 should be fine).

Good to know. So with that said, if the video speed class is not relevant, then again, the Samsung will be plenty fine ghjfdtg? The Samsung doesn't have an A rating listed on the card, so is there one better for the Switch and the way it reads games, then that of the Samsung, that does list an A class? Is an A class card, more important than a U1/U3 card? Is there a U3/A1/2 card, that would be better than the Samsung, I listed above? I see there is an A2, as well as an A1, I assume the A2 would be even better?

Sorry to keep dragging this on. I agree the Samsung will likely be all I need, but I am curious on what else is out there and if someone recommends, or knows something I don't, I would like to learn, before I put down what little hard earned money I have on a card. I appreciate everyone's patience with me.

Last edited by AndrewH,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I have not found any other manufacturer other than SanDisk having A rated cards last time i searched. A1 will be fine considering the Switch can't go much faster (as seen in tests from other people). The internal eMMC will still beat any of these microSD cards.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not found any other manufacturer other than SanDisk having A rated cards last time i searched. A1 will be fine considering the Switch can't go much faster (as seen in tests from other people). The internal eMMC will still beat any of these microSD cards.

SanDisk makes might fine products for sure.

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot Guys. I prefer the internal nand as well and actually physical above that, even though it is slower. I have managed to live off the nand alone, for the two years the Switch was out, simply because 99% of my games are physical and outside of updates and saves, nothing else gets saved to it. I still have 13.4gb saved even, but since MicroSD cards have come down so much in price and I wanted to try out my new acquired RCM Loader, I know I am going to need a MicroSD card sooner or later, so got wondering on which would be the absolute best one to get, without having any buyers remorse, on wasted money.

So to put the final nail in the coffin (hopefully), what would be fastest/best for the switch? Samsung U3 listed above, or Sandisk A1? Is there a difference in speed between the two, or am I just worrying for nothing?

Appreciate the replies as usual, guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Psi's nipples stretch far wider and can touch his toes.