Is there a better method of using a GC controller on 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WiiCube_2013, Jul 22, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Back in 2014 I saw the video of the guy using his GameCube controller to play Smash but I suppose since it works with Smash then it's compatible with the rest, so have the hackers/devs come up with a better solution than hardmodding?

I'd really like to play 3DS with a proper controller instead of 3DS' inferior gaming pad and have it connected to a TV/Monitor (much like the PSTV).

Honestly, I don't mind that the graphics look below today's standards as I've gotten back to playing 8bit, 16bit and 32bit games so that's not something that matters.

Btw, if it were possible to use the Wii U Pro Controller, PS3, 360 or whatever wireless controller that'd be awesome!

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I don't think it'll be possible without hardware modding.
    Iirc, the 3DS doesn't have bluetooth so without it, a PS3/Wii U Pro controller won't work without homebrew patched into the Sysmenu, 360 deffo not as it's RF.

3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Hm, so my only hope is for a 3DS emulator on PC.

4. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    The only wireless communication 3DS has are WiFi, which would be a latency hell for a controller, and the IR port (on normal one, dunno if N3DS has it) which is what CPP uses. So best bet would be an IR controller, but it would require one HELL of a system patch for it to work (and it wouldn't work in DS games as those run nearly on bare bones)

As for connecting the 3DS to a bigger screen. Only a hardware mod is a solution. In certain games (most of those that tend to have framerate issues (Pokemon, MH4U on O3DS)) basically all resources of the 3DS are used. Nintendo even said that the reason CPP is not compatible with Smash is because it used too many resources and would make the game unplayable. Now encoding a video stream from even just one of the screens + audio and sending it over WiFi (again, latency!) would need a LOT of resources. Not leaving much for the games.

5. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States