Homebrew Is the banwave over?

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone with A9lh been banned? If not, I believe B9S might probably have been an inside job from Hacker Bounty. That or someone finally gave pointers to Nintendo on how to figure it out.

All hack claims I've seen seem to be originate from those who've updated to 11.4 AND updated to B9S as well. But then again, it is the latest firmware so it would an expectation that most users would have updated to b9s and 11.4

But if A9lh users on 11.3 (Eg.: Me) don't get banned then I am quite sure I am correct on this. I just use ctr-httpwn to play online. Since I heard it was patched on 11.4 I decided to stay on 11.3 where everything (seemed) to be normal.

I haven't played online in a bit, and I am slighlty affraid to check.
A9LH users have also been banned. Also, boot9strap is open source: https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/releases/tag/1.0

If any part of it purposefully banned us, we would know. It's also probably not an inside job because part of what it does is dump the bootroms, and no sane Nintendo employee would give them to the community just to ban a few of us.

D

Deleted User

I don't get why they don't restrict access to the eShop server with the ban.
Why do something that will hurt them financially. They still want money.
Btw My both old and new 3ds are safe. Didn't used them since last year.
But now that blaster master zero is out and it's one of my favorite nes games i wanted to use it. Well i guess i will wait or use emulator to play that game.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone with A9lh been banned? If not, I believe B9S might probably have been an inside job from Hacker Bounty. That or someone finally gave pointers to Nintendo on how to figure it out.

All hack claims I've seen seem to be originate from those who've updated to 11.4 AND updated to B9S as well. But then again, it is the latest firmware so it would an expectation that most users would have updated to b9s and 11.4

But if A9lh users on 11.3 (Eg.: Me) don't get banned then I am quite sure I am correct on this. I just use ctr-httpwn to play online. Since I heard it was patched on 11.4 I decided to stay on 11.3 where everything (seemed) to be normal.

I haven't played online in a bit, and I am slighlty affraid to check.

Have you tried ctr-httpwn with Pokemon? I don't do online battles, trading etc, but use the trading between systems(I have multiple systems so trade between myself) and getting event Pokemon etc.

I tried the other day to get the megastores but got system update required message, so not sure I did something wrong or it simply doesn't work.

Btw I'm on 11.3 on all three of my systems(o3ds xl, n3ds xl and 2ds) with luma 6.6 not updated to the latest hack method.

Alexyogos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried ctr-httpwn with Pokemon? I don't do online battles, trading etc, but use the trading between systems(I have multiple systems so trade between myself) and getting event Pokemon etc.

I tried the other day to get the megastores but got system update required message, so not sure I did something wrong or it simply doesn't work.

Btw I'm on 11.3 on all three of my systems(o3ds xl, n3ds xl and 2ds) with luma 6.6 not updated to the latest hack method.

Yes, it works with Pokémon; it's the game I play the most. It should work, if it doesn't just try re-run ctr-httpwn again and it should work

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because they realize we have *That*Shop and can still get access to everything for free...

When did everyone switch over to calling it that instead of freeShop? Well if I were Nintendo I'd check whenever someone accessed it if they were banned and hope some people wouldn't find their way around it. Maybe it's more difficult than I imagine, or maybe at least it's more hassle than it's worth.

Why do something that will hurt them financially. They still want money.
Btw My both old and new 3ds are safe. Didn't used them since last year.
But now that blaster master zero is out and it's one of my favorite nes games i wanted to use it. Well i guess i will wait or use emulator to play that game.

What money? No way someone is buying anything from the eShop after they're banned from online play. Blaster Master Zero has been out for quite some time now, was great while it lasted, they really made it way too easy unfortunately.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did everyone switch over to calling it that instead of freeShop? Well if I were Nintendo I'd check whenever someone accessed it if they were banned and hope some people wouldn't find their way around it. Maybe it's more difficult than I imagine, or maybe at least it's more hassle than it's worth.
It's a little more complex... Nintendo has two servers, one for games, and the other for paying. *That*Shop connects directly to the game servers. Nintendo can't tell because their eShop does the same thing after moving over to the games server. They know some people are pirating games, but they don't know exactly who. Also, we call it *that*Shop now because it is against GBATemp to tell people where to pirate games. Which is why we also use the terms ThatIsoSite or ThatChaosSite, we just simply don't want to be banned....

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's a little more complex... Nintendo has two servers, one for games, and the other for paying. *That*Shop connects directly to the game servers. Nintendo can't tell because their eShop does the same thing after moving over to the games server. They know some people are pirating games, but they don't know exactly who. Also, we call it *that*Shop now because it is against GBATemp to tell people where to pirate games. Which is why we also use the terms ThatIsoSite or ThatChaosSite, we just simply don't want to be banned....

Ok, thanks for the info. Lol, that's so silly, the name of the thread for freeShop holds the name, doesn't make any sense.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the info. Lol, that's so silly, the name of the thread for freeShop holds the name, doesn't make any sense.
That's a little different, we can't tell people where to get free games and stuff, but it's a release thread so it has to bear the name of the application (so I guess the mods let that slide). Also, NP dude. Any time...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have people been banned who have bought legit stuff in the eShop in the past? Ninty likely puts sales data first, and base their "analysis" of who to ban and who not on some part of it.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have people been banned who have bought legit stuff in the eShop in the past? Ninty likely puts sales data first, and base their "analysis" of who to ban and who not on some part of it.
They can't tell who uses *that*Shop or eShop, but they might be able to tell if you got a game from ThatIsoSite or ThatChaosSite

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it works with Pokémon; it's the game I play the most. It should work, if it doesn't just try re-run ctr-httpwn again and it should work

Nope tried again, went to mystery gift on sun to get the mega stones, clicking the password option it asked if you want to connect to the Internet then after a few seconds it gives the update required message.

The by Internet option currently giving no gift found as they don't have anything available that I'm aware of.

I tried exiting the game and rerunning ctr-httpwn but no luck.

Mansize

GBATemp Hardware
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They can't tell who uses *that*Shop or eShop, but they might be able to tell if you got a game from ThatIsoSite or ThatChaosSite

What I meant was - can they see if the account linked to your 3DS ever actually bought stuff in the store? For example, I did, lots, they must see my customer value as "high". Even if they detected cfw on my sys, maybe they won't ban because they value me as a "high" customer? If the total amount spent linked to an account is €0, plus they detect cfw installed, perhaps that is reason enough to ban? Grasping at straws here.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant was - can they see if the account linked to your 3DS ever actually bought stuff in the store? For example, I did, lots, they must see my customer value as "high". Even if they detected cfw on my sys, maybe they won't ban because they value me as a "high" customer? If the total amount spent linked to an account is €0, plus they detect cfw installed, perhaps that is reason enough to ban? Grasping at straws here.
Then there's a risk of losing business due to people who buy their games on cartridges... They literally look at the data in your activity log...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can say "freeShop." Just saying :P
It looks like Nintendo was just checking feedback from the system and banned any system with homebrew apps in the Activities. Also it's starting to look like this banwave may have passed, but I don't want to give a call just yet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: