Gaming Is Star Fox dead?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was reading a thread about F-Zero and how its pretty much dying, and I realized; what happened to Star Fox? The SNES and N64 games were quite successful, which was followed by the less-than-enthusiastic Star Fox Assault (which I thought was actually pretty fun) and Star Fox Adventures on the GC. Sure, Star Fox has come onto the DS and was halfway fun, but being one of Nintendo's "all-stars", there's been no news of a Wii outing for him (outside of SSBB). I wonder if he'll ever have a Wii title or have a generation skip like Metroid.

Heiopeio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in my eyes, starfox is dead.. the crappy GCN games have made it...

i think, that starfox will never be released again just like a good donkey kong

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Nintendo's eyes, Star Fox isn't dead. They release a new game in the series every three to five years. Just because they haven't made a Wii one yet doesn't mean they won't, it's not like the Wii is at the end of its lifespan yet. Give it time.

The real question is whether or not they will make a GOOD Star Fox game. No crappy pathfinding system like in Star Fox Command, just level after level of straightforward linear gameplay, maybe that branches off every here and there, and bosses. NOTHING ELSE. If they can do that, they'll have it right.

Or they could make Fox turn into a werewolf at night and have a sword and have to repeat levels to get more materials to unlock levels, and every other level you play as knuckles collecting Chaos Emeralds.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
nintendo loves giving us surprise
tongue.gif

who knows when will they announce starfox for wii
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
In Nintendo's eyes, Star Fox isn't dead. They release a new game in the series every three to five years. Just because they haven't made a Wii one yet doesn't mean they won't, it's not like the Wii is at the end of its lifespan yet. Give it time.

The real question is whether or not they will make a GOOD Star Fox game. No crappy pathfinding system like in Star Fox Command, just level after level of straightforward linear gameplay, maybe that branches off every here and there, and bosses. NOTHING ELSE. If they can do that, they'll have it right.

Or they could make Fox turn into a werewolf at night and have a sword and have to repeat levels to get more materials to unlock levels, and every other level you play as knuckles collecting Chaos Emeralds.

I totally agree with the Sonic thing. Plain old platforming Sonic is great, whatever they were smoking to say "Hey, let's take away a good aspect and make him into a werewolf or knight" must've been REAL strong. As for Star Fox, follow the guidelines of Star Fox 64, make the game a little longer with multiple endings, add some multiplayer (I thought Star Fox multiplayer was actually quite fun), and huzzah.

Sayargh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would make a new star fox also, but not if they do running around with a gun levels like in Star Fox Assault...

Either make it ALL flying around shooting like starfox 64 or don't bother.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think they'll make one sooner or later. But who knows, they might skip a platform (remember what happened to Metroid 64?).

Btw, I didn't think the GameCube games were bad! The SNES one was great for its time, the N64 one is still great, Star Fox Adventures was a really great game (better than Zelda in my opinion) but just not really a Star Fox game and Star Fox Assault may have been disappointing but it wasn't bad enough to kill the Star Fox franchise!

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, Star Fox 64 multiplayer was so awesome. Did Star Fox Assault have any multiplayer in it? I wish they'd make another game like the 64 one. I remember you could unlock the tank and then the characters with cannons... man that was so much fun to play with 3 or 4 players.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Both the Starfox game by Rare and the one made by Namco sold pretty bad, and the first one was even controversial. The Starfox for DS got pretty good reviews but sold just ok, if Nintendo doesn't sell a million copies they consider it failure.

I think Nintendo will let the character rest for a few years. It's not uncommon that Nintendo does this.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EvanUnisil said:
Man, Star Fox 64 multiplayer was so awesome. Did Star Fox Assault have any multiplayer in it? I wish they'd make another game like the 64 one. I remember you could unlock the tank and then the characters with cannons... man that was so much fun to play with 3 or 4 players.

I actually thought the multiplayer was the best part of Star Fox Assault. My friends and I played it tons. Much above Star Fox 64 in my opinion. The single player was definitely lacking and disappointing overall. A new Star Fox game would be awesome though.

Rheotron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really liked Starfox Assault, I guess I was like 10 when I played it though. Seemed pretty fun back then.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I love Star Fox Adventure or StarFox for SNES. The DS one was also very well made and was fun... Hopefully they don`t dump it. But I would guess, if they would work on it and it would come out in the next 12 month they would have announced it. So we will have to wait for the next E3 to see, if Big-N is working on it...

I guess their emphasis are more on a few strong IP title.

If you ask me ExciteTruck/Bots pretty much replaced F-Zero, which I find is a shame (not that I don`t like the Excite-games....)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's my hope Nintendo has merely being holding a new SF game back until the release of MotionPlus. If they make it a traditional SF game, it will revolve around flight, and there's no way they'd pass on controlling it like a Wii Wheel. In order to pull that off right, I think they need the MotionPlus. I'm willing to bet we'll hear about a new game either at TGS or next year's E3. Of course, we might simply end up with another DS game, which I wouldn't mind seeing.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blame the current generation of gamers that wouldn't know a good game if it smacked them in the face and called them mama. Blame us pirates for not buying the GOOD games and just downloading them while the casual noob gamers who are ignorant of flashcarts/modchips are buying up Imagine-type games in droves. Blame Nintendo for not securing their systems better against piracy that has lead to the poor sales of GOOD games. Blame greedy CEO's who only see profit margins and don't have to play the crappy videogames they release to market. Plus, fifty-eleven other directions you could lay blame...

Lots of blame to go around, but mostly it's just that Nintendo and their prized 3rd party's have lost their way. They've forgotten what GOOD games are, they've forgotten what it was that put them on top back in the NES and SNES days. They've forgotten their core gamers. They don't care about us anymore. They just milk money out of the stupid noob/casual gamers with games that only took them 10 minutes to create but rake in windfall profits instead of having to put any real effort into making a good game and then have it pirated instead of purchased.

It's their fault, it's our fault, it's everyone's fault. One side blames the other. Round and round, vicious circle. It's only gonna get worse.

GAWD! Take me back to the '80's.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Look i played the original Starfox on Snes, and i played Lylat Wars and loved it. I played assault, and i thought it was a great addition, and Starfox adventures wasnt a bad game either. But alot of other nintendo and Starfox fans didnt like Assault and Adventures so Nintendo might feel that making another starfox might be like kiking the series while its down. But in my personal opinion Nintendo will release another starfox game as a hope to revitalize a dead series, but its just my opinion.

-Karaku32

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo