Is Sky3DS unblockable?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MrJason005, Feb 16, 2015.

1. MrJason005
    OP

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    I've heard countless arguments about this topic, and wanted to start a conversation about this.
    It's been 3 updates so far, and Sky is still working.
    So it basically emulates, down to the smallest detail, a real retail cartridge. It does not depend on an exploit, and so it hasn't been blocked.
    I've heard that, because it is unblockable, All Nintendo can do is ban consoles using the included headers in the template.
    Is it really unblockable?

8bit-beard likes this.
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    So far, I'd say Nintendo is shit out of luck. ^_^

3. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Nope. Not unblockable.
    But they didn't yet for some reason.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. MrJason005
    OP

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    That's what I mean, I was expecting such a reply.
    Is there any way to detect Sky without blocking genuine Ninty customers?

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    only people in a position to answer this would be proper dev's who have actually investigated how sky3ds works, only public word we have from such dev's is that it would be easily blockable.....why nintendo haven't blocked it yet? who knows, maybe its not as straight forward as the dev though, or maybe nintendo are just lazy....or maybe just maybe they have been busy prepping for international n3ds launch etc

only time will tell

Xenon Hacks and Margen67 like this.
  6. MrJason005
    OP

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Sky is really sucking on Ninty's wallet, doubt they'd be lazy.

Kross0 and 8bit-beard like this.
  7. dandymanz

dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    I think if the Sky3ds was so easily blocked. Nintendo would have blocked them already.Instead, Nintendo has only blocked online users for now. Which means they haven't figured out how to block the Sky3ds directly yet.

SLiV3R and MrJason005 like this.
  8. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Yeah i think the problem lies in blocking sky 3DS users might block real genuine users so nintendo have decided to leave it for now.

9. Bananawagon

Bananawagon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    They blocked out Gateway at firmware 9.3 for the time being, so if Nintendo could have done more than just online banning Sky3ds they would have done it I think.

10. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah, a lot of people kept talking how it was so easy to block, yet it's been 3 updates and it still isn't blocked, so I'll just wait and see.

mrolive and MrJason005 like this.
  11. dandymanz

dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    Let's analyze it this way.

There is a new Kernel Exploit for the PS Vita - Sony removes the PSP game from their marketplace and patches the exploit in their next firmware release.

There is a new jailbreak for the iPhone - Apple fixes the jailbreak exploit within the next 2 to 3 firmware upgrades

Smea released Ninjhax in Nov'14. Nintendo blocked it with firmware ver 9.3 in Dec'14. Since Gateway uses one of the exploits in Ninjhax, it gets blocked as well,

But Sky3ds still hasn't been blocked? Must be a real tough nut to crack. :D

MattKimura likes this.
  12. MrJason005
    OP

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    That's wrong.
    Nontheless, those are good points.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    gateway and ninjhax did share an exploit, and its the one that was patched by nintendo

i think we should look at it differently
    DS profile plus kernel exploit found, kernel exploit patched in 5.x, but the DS profile exploit remained until 7.x
    ninjhax exploit released, uses 4 stages, only 1 stage patched cubic ninja entrypoint remains and several other exploits remain unpatched
    gateway release ultra with web exploit, the web exploit part of which still remains unblocked in 9.5 which is still allowing game hacking, rom injection,region free even though an update has been released since all these exploits where released

moral of the story, nintendo are pretty lazy when it comes to patching stuff, they block random exploits at random intervals......sort of like how they are dealing out online bans for flashcard users

14. Fire_Slasher

Fire_Slasher GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Unblockable no, I don't believe it is. With given time I think Ninty will manage to block it, just not right now.

15. 8bit-beard

8bit-beard Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    United States
    I wanted to take a minute to thank you for being one of the level headed knowledge seekers here. From what I've been able to take from the few threads I've been following, particularly the "How soon is SOON" thread, you seem to be open minded, non-biased, and just interested in facts. It seems like people actually own stock in Sky or GW the way some of these people leap to defend either card.

Anyway, in keeping on topic, thanks for asking this question. It does seem to me, based on what we've seen here, that so long as you don't play games online than Sky3DS seems pretty safe at this point. That is, if all you want to do is play backups.

I may have missed it, but are Sky3DS games able to get updates from eShop or is that running a risk as well? Does the header get transferred in that process? Does eShop permit you to download updates for games you don't own? I guess I've never paid attention. I try to keep my eShop time to a minimum since, in my opinion, it's a slow-moving, hard-to-navigate, psuedo-disaster.

Radxical, mrolive, MrJason005 and 2 others like this.
  16. 4ur0r

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    Short version? We don't know.
    Long versions: the only thing we know is that Nintendo is (rightly) banning people who use flashcards and the thing that links everyone who get banned is using or had used public headers but lot of people didn'get get banned yet, even if they still using public headers. We don't know if Nintendo keep track of the header we use on our backups (probably yes) and no one is ban-proof if they use any internet service with their 3DS.

8bit-beard likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    you can download game updates with no game inserted and for any game you like from the eshop, just search for the game and download the update, then go back to offline,although most patches are simply for fixing online bugs....but most dlc requires you to download in game which might cause issues if your into that sort of thing

but the banned users can still access eshop, so if your intention is to never play online, it doesnt really matter if you get banned, you can still buy dlc and download updates

8bit-beard likes this.
  18. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

It's simple really, an exploit is a flaw in the system, which means it MUST be patched and is a priority, even if it didn't allow piracy, much like ninjahax which only allowed hombrew(which is legal btw), but still was patched very fast.

On the other hand emulation is not Nintendo's fault, so while they probably are working on it, there is probably a different approach, and a potential risk of blocking legit cartridge users.

19. mrolive

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    It looks pretty safe so far. I don't think Nintendo would resort to banning 3DS's if they had the option of just blocking the card outright.

Random Joe and MrJason005 like this.
  20. gokuguy

gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2008
    United States

Maybe they're going for the combo? Try to scare off as many potential buyers of Sky3DS as possible first by banning confirmed users to rupture Sky3DS sales, then finally block the card. I'm sure that they know at this point that flash cards and such are always being updated as well to fight back. Maybe its just easier for them at the moment to ban the users instead of blocking the card, at the risk of any legit cart users, and forcing flashcart devs to find another opening? Heck, maybe Nintendo is even using this as a decoy as they work on a canyon of a hole in their programming that would allow us to do a lot more than we are able to do now.

Who knows? Its all speculation.

MrJason005 likes this.