Hacking Is Sky3DS unblockable?

MrJason005

√2
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I've heard countless arguments about this topic, and wanted to start a conversation about this.
It's been 3 updates so far, and Sky is still working.
So it basically emulates, down to the smallest detail, a real retail cartridge. It does not depend on an exploit, and so it hasn't been blocked.
I've heard that, because it is unblockable, All Nintendo can do is ban consoles using the included headers in the template.
Is it really unblockable?

Reactions: 8bit-beard

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
only people in a position to answer this would be proper dev's who have actually investigated how sky3ds works, only public word we have from such dev's is that it would be easily blockable.....why nintendo haven't blocked it yet? who knows, maybe its not as straight forward as the dev though, or maybe nintendo are just lazy....or maybe just maybe they have been busy prepping for international n3ds launch etc

only time will tell

MrJason005

√2
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
only people in a position to answer this would be proper dev's who have actually investigated how sky3ds works, only public word we have from such dev's is that it would be easily blockable.....why nintendo haven't blocked it yet? who knows, maybe its not as straight forward as the dev though, or maybe nintendo are just lazy....or maybe just maybe they have been busy prepping for international n3ds launch etc

only time will tell
Sky is really sucking on Ninty's wallet, doubt they'd be lazy.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I think if the Sky3ds was so easily blocked. Nintendo would have blocked them already.Instead, Nintendo has only blocked online users for now. Which means they haven't figured out how to block the Sky3ds directly yet.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i think the problem lies in blocking sky 3DS users might block real genuine users so nintendo have decided to leave it for now.

Bananawagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They blocked out Gateway at firmware 9.3 for the time being, so if Nintendo could have done more than just online banning Sky3ds they would have done it I think.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Let's analyze it this way.

There is a new Kernel Exploit for the PS Vita - Sony removes the PSP game from their marketplace and patches the exploit in their next firmware release.

There is a new jailbreak for the iPhone - Apple fixes the jailbreak exploit within the next 2 to 3 firmware upgrades

Smea released Ninjhax in Nov'14. Nintendo blocked it with firmware ver 9.3 in Dec'14. Since Gateway uses one of the exploits in Ninjhax, it gets blocked as well,

But Sky3ds still hasn't been blocked? Must be a real tough nut to crack. :D

Reactions: MattKimura

MrJason005

√2
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Let's analyze it this way.

There is a new Kernel Exploit for the PS Vita - Sony removes the PSP game from their marketplace and patches the exploit in their next firmware release.

There is a new jailbreak for the iPhone - Apple fixes the jailbreak exploit within the next 2 to 3 firmware upgrades

Smea released Ninjhax in Nov'14. Nintendo blocked it with firmware ver 9.3 in Dec'14. Since Gateway uses one of the exploits in Ninjhax, it gets blocked as well,

That's wrong.
Nontheless, those are good points.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That's wrong.
Nontheless, those are good points.
gateway and ninjhax did share an exploit, and its the one that was patched by nintendo

i think we should look at it differently
DS profile plus kernel exploit found, kernel exploit patched in 5.x, but the DS profile exploit remained until 7.x
ninjhax exploit released, uses 4 stages, only 1 stage patched cubic ninja entrypoint remains and several other exploits remain unpatched
gateway release ultra with web exploit, the web exploit part of which still remains unblocked in 9.5 which is still allowing game hacking, rom injection,region free even though an update has been released since all these exploits where released

moral of the story, nintendo are pretty lazy when it comes to patching stuff, they block random exploits at random intervals......sort of like how they are dealing out online bans for flashcard users

8bit-beard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard countless arguments about this topic, and wanted to start a conversation about this.
I wanted to take a minute to thank you for being one of the level headed knowledge seekers here. From what I've been able to take from the few threads I've been following, particularly the "How soon is SOON" thread, you seem to be open minded, non-biased, and just interested in facts. It seems like people actually own stock in Sky or GW the way some of these people leap to defend either card.

Anyway, in keeping on topic, thanks for asking this question. It does seem to me, based on what we've seen here, that so long as you don't play games online than Sky3DS seems pretty safe at this point. That is, if all you want to do is play backups.

I may have missed it, but are Sky3DS games able to get updates from eShop or is that running a risk as well? Does the header get transferred in that process? Does eShop permit you to download updates for games you don't own? I guess I've never paid attention. I try to keep my eShop time to a minimum since, in my opinion, it's a slow-moving, hard-to-navigate, psuedo-disaster.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I may have missed it, but are Sky3DS games able to get updates from eShop or is that running a risk as well? Does the header get transferred in that process? Does eShop permit you to download updates for games you don't own? I guess I've never paid attention. I try to keep my eShop time to a minimum since, in my opinion, it's a slow-moving, hard-to-navigate, psuedo-disaster.

Short version? We don't know.
Long versions: the only thing we know is that Nintendo is (rightly) banning people who use flashcards and the thing that links everyone who get banned is using or had used public headers but lot of people didn'get get banned yet, even if they still using public headers. We don't know if Nintendo keep track of the header we use on our backups (probably yes) and no one is ban-proof if they use any internet service with their 3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I wanted to take a minute to thank you for being one of the level headed knowledge seekers here. From what I've been able to take from the few threads I've been following, particularly the "How soon is SOON" thread, you seem to be open minded, non-biased, and just interested in facts. It seems like people actually own stock in Sky or GW the way some of these people leap to defend either card.

Anyway, in keeping on topic, thanks for asking this question. It does seem to me, based on what we've seen here, that so long as you don't play games online than Sky3DS seems pretty safe at this point. That is, if all you want to do is play backups.

you can download game updates with no game inserted and for any game you like from the eshop, just search for the game and download the update, then go back to offline,although most patches are simply for fixing online bugs....but most dlc requires you to download in game which might cause issues if your into that sort of thing

but the banned users can still access eshop, so if your intention is to never play online, it doesnt really matter if you get banned, you can still buy dlc and download updates

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

It's simple really, an exploit is a flaw in the system, which means it MUST be patched and is a priority, even if it didn't allow piracy, much like ninjahax which only allowed hombrew(which is legal btw), but still was patched very fast.

On the other hand emulation is not Nintendo's fault, so while they probably are working on it, there is probably a different approach, and a potential risk of blocking legit cartridge users.

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks pretty safe so far. I don't think Nintendo would resort to banning 3DS's if they had the option of just blocking the card outright.

Maybe they're going for the combo? Try to scare off as many potential buyers of Sky3DS as possible first by banning confirmed users to rupture Sky3DS sales, then finally block the card. I'm sure that they know at this point that flash cards and such are always being updated as well to fight back. Maybe its just easier for them at the moment to ban the users instead of blocking the card, at the risk of any legit cart users, and forcing flashcart devs to find another opening? Heck, maybe Nintendo is even using this as a decoy as they work on a canyon of a hole in their programming that would allow us to do a lot more than we are able to do now.

Who knows? Its all speculation.

Reactions: MrJason005

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...