Is PSP emulation on the Switch good in June 2023?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK the PPSSPP standalone build is meant to work better than the Retroarch build. Sounds like everything should work fine without hassle apart from a handful of the most demanding games (ogre tactics?) which might need more overclock. This is off the top of my head, but the best place for accurate info would be the PPSSPP thread.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried the standalone ppsspp and its good apart from seemingly annoying micro stutters and it doesn't matter what game you play. I've heard ppsspp is better when played under android on switch but I haven't tested that out .

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is good and most games run very well. There are some that have issues. I used android on switch and it runs even better there for some games. Not really worth installing it just for minor PPSSPP improvement unless you are otherwise interested in android. I do find texture replacement has issues on the standalone. On android I was able to play P3P with HD texture replacement and cut scene restoration mods. Also HD texture replacement on Trails in the sky. Didn't have any issues but did on the standalone in atmosphere.

AshhhB33

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found it to be sub par when emulating things like Wipeout Pure, Pulse & Outrun 2, even with frameskip set to 1 for 30fps it still stutters.

Performance is oddly on par with an Xbox One X back when we had retail mode emulators.

Last edited by AshhhB33,

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only want to play one PSP game. Retroarch plays it at like 12FPS. Stand-alone plays it at like 18FPS.

Damn you, Everyday Shooter. You’re basically homebrew. Just play.

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I gave it a shot and it's not perfect but it is playable. There's a few frames of input lag in Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. It's good enough for a casual playthrough but I imagine some of the bosses will be harder. The games don't look great on the Switch OLED display but you don't play PSP games for their graphics in 2023.

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons but retro games probably look better on the Switch Lite because the smaller screen helps mask visual defects.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave it a shot and it's not perfect but it is playable. There's a few frames of input lag in Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. It's good enough for a casual playthrough but I imagine some of the bosses will be harder. The games don't look great on the Switch OLED display but you don't play PSP games for their graphics in 2023.

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons but retro games probably look better on the Switch Lite because the smaller screen helps mask visual defects.
Most games don’t even have the slowdowns. Overclock the Switch, bump the native resolution up to 3x or 4x, set upscale level to ‘Auto’, and enjoy. There are a few that just aren’t playable though.

Looking at you, Everyday Shooter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill