Is my R4 dead?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by bigboss50, Jul 7, 2010.

Jul 7, 2010

Is my R4 dead? by bigboss50 at 1:48 PM (2,494 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. bigboss50
    OP

Newcomer bigboss50 Member

United Kingdom
    Hey I have an r4 which did have Ysmenu installed on it a long time ago but I formatted the card as I was no longer using it anyway I decided to try it today installing Ysmenu, Wood R4, and even the 1.18 FW (obviously not at the same time) on their own site however none of them work the initial black Loading... screen straight after the health warning does not end is my r4 dead?

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    What size MicroSD card are you using?

The R4 (and it's genuine clones) only supports Non-HC MicroSDs which are 2GB or less*.
    Though I would think that using a MicroSDHC card in the R4 should give you a "Couldn't find the SD/TF card" error. Just tried it myself, using a MicroSDHC card my real R4 'freezes' on the "Loading..." screen, just like yours. So maybe that's the problem?

*There are some 4GB Non-HC MicroSDs, but they are rather difficult to find and quite expensive.

3. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    definitely non-HC SD (2GB) as I used it with Ysmenu before, I actually got another 2GB SD Card as well tried it with that same thing

4. twiztidsinz

United States
    Take the MicroSD card out... does it still get stuck on "Loading..."?

If it doesn't, and it says "Couldn't find the SD/TF card" (A good thing, I hope) then back up all the files from the MicroSD card and format it using the Panasonic SD Formatter, grab a clean version of the latest WoodR4.
    Put WoodR4 onto your card by itself and see if it will load up.

5. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes it says couldnt bla bla so I'll try that at halftime got to watch the match now

6. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    It says "Couldn't find the SD/TF card" I tried SD formatter still the same thing with all the firmwares

7. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It's probably a contact issue. Try placing a square or two of paper behind the cart to push it's contacts against those in the slot.

8. twiztidsinz

United States
    But it doesn't seem to be the cart connecting to the DS... since the R4's screens come up.
    It seems to be an issue between the Cart and MicroSD. I kind of think the MicroSD slot is broken/damaged/worn.

9. bigboss50
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just an update I've gone for the R4 from Shoptemp so fingers crossed it works thanks for all the help and ideas