Is my Gateway dead?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Zidapi, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    I suddenly started getting a "microSD is not ready" error. I've ejected both the mSD and the Gateway cart itself, but it didn't make a difference.

I've tested it on multiple devices, and checked that the mSD can be read by a PC (it reads fine).

I've run Gateway's diagnostic tool multiple times with inconsistent results during consecutive tests, but it generally fails.

image.jpg

I've also attempted a forced update to the Red Cart by holding R while booting, the installation and verification succeed, but it still fails the diagnostic test.

Anybody encountered this before? If yes, any suggestions or solutions?

I'm prepared to buy another if necessary, and I suspect it will be.

2. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    Are you willing to inspect for physical hardware failure? (by removing the sticker and/or the shell)
    May be a cold solder joint on the FPGA...

Ronhero likes this.
  3. Slade.AU

Slade.AU GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2006
    I have to press on the base of the microSD card slot every time I remove and reinsert my microSD card. It's probably a similar thing. Poor contact on one of the pins. Otherwise I get the same error repeatedly.
    Sadly, there isn't much to see with the sticker removed. You'd still need to remove the casing to get to see much of the pcb.

4. CreativeMan

CreativeMan GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2009
    Mongolia
    I saw similar issue with a friend's one, but it was random, it worked once out of 20 tries or so. I opened it, cleaned with alcohol both microSD and cart pins, thickened a bit the back of the cart pins to make sure when inserted it will make good contact with the slot and it works again since then. I also checked the solders with a magnifier to be sure everything looks correct, but I have seen mine disassembled before so I knew what it should look like. I wish you luck anyway!