Is jailbreaking worth it?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by lolzed, Dec 20, 2010.

Dec 20, 2010

Is jailbreaking worth it? by lolzed at 4:58 AM (1,737 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. lolzed
    OP

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    I'm wondering,since I'm planning on buying a PS3.

Mainly for playing games and PSN(I dunno if my internet can take much though).

BTW what are the best PS3 games that is worthwhile(games that you can repeat over and over,like mario kart).

If there are a lot of games like that then I probably won't need to jailbreak...

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Jailbreak = no PSN right now.

3. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    There are lots of PS3 games worth getting, like LBP.
    I also heard that jailbreak doesn't have PSN atm.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    if you really have online gaming in mind, and PSN games, then no jailbreaking isn't worth it - in essence the only real thing you can do with a jailbreak is just piracy for now mostly; there is some homebrew here and there, nothing really interesting.

So its really up to you.

If your worried about your internet, don't so much. I play on PSN with 256kb/s cnxn, but i have good latency, just have to make sure that nobody else is using the internet whilst playing. It's more of an issue of latency than bandwidth with PSN.

Old PS3 gems dnt cost so much bought second hand, so you wont exactly find much trouble with purchases

Worthwhile game ? -

LBP 1 (soon coming 2)
    Uncharted 1 and 2 - Soon coming 3
    Modnation Racers (much like your mario kart, great fun ! - fucking updates though they are huge so becareful there)
    Demon's Souls
    Castle Crashers (PSN game - was out first on XBL, great fun RPG/hack slash)
    Rathcet and Clank ( 3 games so far, one being DLC 2nd - great platformer from the days of the PS2, also 4th game in series (PS3) coming soon as well)
    the usual FPS games, MW2, Black Ops, if that's your thing, also Killzone can be considered here)
    Heavy Rain - you will come back to this game just to see what would happen if you choose to do something differently.

... must i go on [​IMG] ... seriously i dunno why people say that PS3 has no games :/

5. lolzed
    OP

Philippines
    Thanks for the responses guys [​IMG]

I know jailbreaking loses PSN access,but I'm thinking if getting games cheaper is better.

I guess I'll be getting a PS3 thats clean. Maybe I'll jailbreak it when it's a good time.

OH,and if anyone has some more game recommendations,please post [​IMG]

6. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Sorry for the thread hijack. [​IMG]

Im kinda getting a PS3 too.

Im kinda confused, if you jailbreak it, does it mean no PSN forever, or if you remove the jailbreak, you can access PSN and shit?

I was planning to get games that are worth playing online legally, then using the jailbreak for the other stuff. [​IMG]

7. lolzed
    OP

Philippines
    jan777, the PS3 logs everything you do,so once you jb,you lose PSN potential.

That's why I made this thread,to see if it's worth jailbreaking [​IMG]

8. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Oh well, so much for the perfect plan. [​IMG]

9. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    No, That's wrong.
    Sony didn't ban anyone, piracy/homebrew log is currently not a problem. Maybe later, if we can access PSN with jailbreak, it could become a problem and they could start banning (until they find another PSN protection?).

To access PSN, you need Firmware 3.55
    • 2.70 -> 3.41 :
      Jailbreak and downgrade enabled, PSN disabled
    • 3.50 :
      downgrade enabled, jailbreak and PSN disabled
    • 3.55 :
      jailbreak and downgrade disabled, PSN enabled.
    If you want to access PSN again, just update. your account is not blocked at all.
    Though, you can't jailbreak anymore. It's like you repent yourself and update to pay for your games again, Sony allows that (for now) as it makes more profit than banning you forever.

10. xtreme1

Member xtreme1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    its a pain in the butt to have to jailbreak and restart my system everytime I wanna use homebrew or a backup, but thats the price you pay for them

11. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    As the members above stated, if you want access to the PlayStation Network, don't jailbreak. It's too much of a hassle, and you won't be able to play online as of yet. I haven't heard any cases of Sony banning people for the jailbreak, but that's probably because you can't connect to the PSN once you jailbreak.

For good games with tons of replay value, I'd look into the LittleBigPlanet series, especially with LittleBigPlanet 2 (which is looking to be spectacular) on the horizon. I also personally recommend ModNation Racers. It's like a Mario Kart game that lets you build custom tracks with a very, very advanced and capable editing system. You can modify terrain, elevation, track size, build alternate routes and shortcuts, create your own obstacles, tracks and themes, and so much more. You also have the ability to customize your character and kart, both of which also boast amazing editing systems as well.