Is it worth staying on 5.05?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Darksabre72, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Darksabre72
    OP

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    i have checked out the ps4 homebrew community and there isn't alot to do and it seems like sony is probably not going to patch the bug anytime soon so that a new exploit can be relased, so i wonder should i stick to 5.05 or upgrade to a higher firmware?

Last edited by Darksabre72, Aug 18, 2019 at 3:53 AM
  2. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Feb 8, 2018
    Italy
    It depends on your use case.

The only suggestion I'm willing to give, if you decide to update it, try instead to trade/sell your current exploitable console as I'm sure someone would find value in it.

Darksabre72 and KiiWii like this.
  3. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    most of the games that were released on 5.05 are quite cheap already during PSN sale. since it lacks of homebrews, so yeah, maybe you want to sell it if you want to play the latest games.

4. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    We know 6.5x kex exists.

We know Spider-Man has been dumped.

We know other 5.5x+ games have also been dumped.

We know how to wait patiently.

B-)

5. Muskusrat

Muskusrat GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Max wait time is two years, then the PS5 will be out for a year and the support for PS4 will have died out. Then (and only then) can we expect the ultimate hacks (hope it is sooner haha)

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Not quite true, PS4 came out November 2013 and PS3/Vita support ended this past March.

KiiWii likes this.
  7. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, unfortunately not.

PS4 released 2013... PS3 received an update in 2019... by your logic PS3 should have been dead by 2015.

Also if the exploit is in any way relatable to PS5... and it’s not patched on PS4: still might have to wait.

Mazamin likes this.
  8. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Personally, I didn't think it was worth it. I played maybe 1-2 games that I liked and then updated.

Nononoki likes this.
  9. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Unless you already paid for all the best games, I disagree. (Or you're missing out on some stellar games!

God of war, horizon, GTAV, last of us, infamous, uncharted series, tomb raiders, drive club, shadow of the colossus, street fighters, assassins creed series, little big planet, alien isolation, ratchet and clank, homefront, metal gear, just cause, cod series, heavy rain, beyond two souls, Batman games, dark souls games, resident evils, Naruto and dragon ball games, dead island, mafia, bioshocks, waitchdogs, tekken, mortal kombat.... yeah nothing to play....

Hundreds of PS2 games as well for injection...

Heaps of homebrew, emulators, tools, and more....

I have PSVR and there are 50+ games available just for that.

Real talk:

Detroit/Spider-Man/rage2 etc etc wouldn’t persuade me to update a 5.05 console.

I bought a new pro so I could play the new games, and I still spend 99% more time on 5.05. So many gems.

Last edited by KiiWii, Jul 3, 2019
    snoofly, the_leg, PagaN and 2 others like this.
  10. brollikk

brollikk GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    I agree with kiwi. I also own 2 ps4 pros for this same reason. The hacked one is like the equivalent of gaining thousands of dollars of games for free. People who update just can’t do math.

KiiWii likes this.
  11. Bergot

Bergot GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    United States
    On march 2020..i'm gonna up the firm to play FFVII remake...When the EOL has come i jailbreak it again or not...

Last edited by Bergot, Jul 5, 2019
  12. Darksabre72
    OP

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    yea sadly most of the games i want to play i can't with a 5.05 console. (unless someone makes an spoofer for the games) although i do hope for some homebrew in the future. if nothing comes up i'll just play on my bro ps4 pro for now until something comes up for the ps4 scene.

edit: if not then i will just think about selling it. btw thanks for the response

Last edited by Darksabre72, Jul 3, 2019
    KiiWii likes this.
  13. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Yes, they market new games to make you feel like they are all that matters... but most great ps4 games work on 5.05

Last edited by kevin corms, Jul 4, 2019
    schatzi24 likes this.
  14. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    It costs money to market a game, most sales are within a short time of release. Therefore they will always market new games the most.

I'm kinda bored with ps4 at the moment, I've played more psvita lately.

KiiWii likes this.
  15. ssjtroly

ssjtroly Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2019
    United States
    just to add more while ignoring the fact support for ps4 might not end that soon and that ive only been reading about the ps4 scene for a few days, i dont think we will see as much homebrew as you would for something like og xbox and wii because it seems the ps4 runs linux amazingly (havent been able to test this yet tho) due to the fact of having gpu drivers for it.
    back in the og xbox days, there were so many separate homebrew apps because linux and windows ce didnt have drivers for the gpu so alot of popular apps had to be ported to native xbe.

16. brollikk

brollikk GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    in no world is updating a ps4 on 5.05 really a good move. You can EASILY save for a used ps4 which is always going down in value as time goes on (compared to a 5.05 ps4 that goes UP in value as time goes on). Almost always the decision to do this is because a little kid wants to play kingdom hearts 3 RIGHT NAO and probably won't even finish playing that game either.

17. ssjtroly

ssjtroly Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2019
    United States
    from what ive read, you dont even need a new ps4 just a new hard drive and system recovery pup.
    maybe thats misinformation though and sony makes changes to chips on the motherboard in new firmware.

Last edited by ssjtroly, Jul 5, 2019
  18. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I'M pretty sure PS4 is hacked but only few people hold the exploit, they are waiting for $ony to announce the EOL.

it's all up to you: if Ps4 is ur only console then stop waiting update FW and enjoy it.

Last edited by leon315, Jul 5, 2019
  19. Bergot

Bergot GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    United States
    Lol

solitaire4eva and KiiWii like this.
  20. ssjtroly

ssjtroly Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2019
    United States
    yea i read that somewhere last night, dont even remember where, but thinking about it now didnt make sense because then every console would be exploitable.