Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kodos84, Jan 14, 2009.

Jan 14, 2009

Is it worth it? by kodos84 at 6:37 AM (1,137 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. kodos84
    OP

Newcomer kodos84 Member

United States
    I already have a perfectly fine r4 with a 1 gig microsd. I ran out of room so i'm going to go buy a 2gig. But i'm considering buying an acekard or something for the extra space with a sdhc. Is the extra space worth it?

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    the extra space, and better game compatibility is worth it (no need for arm7 fix etc)

3. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Right now I am using the M3 Real, with and 8GB SDHC. I couldn't imagine going back to 2GB. I started with 1GB, then 2GB, then 4GB, and finally 8GB. The added memory is totally worth it (I am still out of room, because the NDS has too many good games). I recommend the M3 Real myself, as it has been very dependable. It is also updated very often, so it has very high compatibility.

4. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I second the M3 Real. Best GBA-playing slot 1 flashcart you'll find, and with M3 Sakura it also has the best firmware. Anyways the R4 is totally outdated, and 2GB just isn't enough anymore. Even if you want to be on the cheap side and get an Acekard, it's still a major upgrade over the R4. The compatibility is tons better, the firmware is better, and it's still being supported. You definitely need to upgrade.

5. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    hmm funny that I have korean broadcast over here in australia and korean dealers were selling r4's like there was no tommorow

6. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Memory is cheap these days, I don't see any reason not to fork out an extra 10-20 dollars for alot more memory.

7. DSAndi

Member DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hard to beleave, i havent seen any GBA playing slot1 flashcard yet. They all need a slot 2 extension.
    Also there are many firmwares with nice UIs out, i wont say sakura is the best. Its nice and different but the best ?

8. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Best is Acekard hands down.

9. ryukyus

Member ryukyus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If I didn't already have my R4 I would probably gotten acekard instead

10. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    Of course it needs a slot 2 expansion, how stupid do you think I am? What I'm saying is there's no other combo of a slot 1 and a slot 2 expansion that gives you RTS and RTC. Also, in my opinion Sakura is the best GUI out there. There are definitely other opinions on the best (CycloDS and Acekard's UI's come to mind) but I still think that Sakura trumps those two.

11. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    I third the decision of an M3 Real imho it is the best flashcart with Sakura and the Triple Booter. I've got 4gb sdhc card which holds alot of games, though I'm planning on upgrading to 8 - 16gb. A word of advice don't what ever you do, don't get an R4 clone they might say they are top of the line but they are the lowest O_O.

Also Kuraudo39, what channel is it on (I'm in QLD)?

12. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    What do you mean by making it "homey"?

13. 3020

Member 3020 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying "oh it has better compatibility". Seriously how many non shovelware games can the r4 not play? And even those that it can't play you can spend a total of 10 min (if you new to arm7 fixes and etc.) fixing it. In my opinion if you have a working r4 there is no need for a new flashcart.