is it worth gettint a ethernet spliters for a cable modem?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DJPlace, Aug 26, 2012.

1. DJPlace
    OP

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    i had a choicbetween PS3 or laptop to log in here.i'm on my PS3 right now the places that are around here are wal-mart and radio shack and i'm looking to buy local... so are ethernet spliters worth modems to connect my PS3 and Laptop cause i only got ethernet port let me know.

2. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ethernet spliters? you want a router or a hub.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You can't have both have a connection at once, as home connections are only assigned one IP nowadays (at least, it's been 5+ years since I've heard of ISPs leasing two IPs to one household, they just toss a router at you).

You'll likely just want a router.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    ISPs still can lease 2 IPs toone household, but they make you lay through the nose for the second line.

As above, get a router.

5. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Router, or a switch. Depending on what you're doing (if you want computer to computer file sharing, for example) you might want an Gigabit one (10/100/1000). For all intents and purposes, it more or less acts as a router, minus the wireless networking.

If wireless is desirable, get a router. If you don't care about it, a cheap switch (as you see, newegg has em for 10 bucks minimum) could be good enough.

Edit - also, note, an ethernet splitter is VERY different from an ethernet switch. I have a bunch of stuff in my room running off of a switch. If you're completely opposed to buying online, I don't believe Radioshack sells switches, I would imagine Walmart does, I know for a fact Target (I work there) and Best Buy do, if there happen to be any near you.