Is it worth getting an OLED Switch?

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting an OLED Switch but am not sure if it's worth it.

On one hand there is reason to believe new Nintendo hardware will be announced earlier this year, possibly the mythical Switch Pro which would make the OLED Switch obsolete.

On the other hand I worry that the exploit which the SX modchip clones use may get patched if I delay my purchase.

Bradle6

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There maybe no "chip' that can mod the Pro if it comes out and my v1 is well 5 6 years old at this point so I'm getting a oled. I think the few upgrades are worth the money if you use it enough.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you play handheld alot I'd say its worth it. If your a Dock man waste of money

idk man. $350+tax for oled switch, $105 for mod chip with questionable quality, likely another $100 for someone to install. Your looking at like $600 for a modded oled, unpatched v1's going for $200-250, banned unpatched v1's for like $120(if you dont care about online). doesnt seem like a good deal to me, even if I played handheld primarily.

Reactions: BigOnYa

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
idk man. $350+tax for oled switch, $105 for mod chip with questionable quality, likely another $100 for someone to install. Your looking at like $600 for a modded oled, unpatched v1's going for $200-250, banned unpatched v1's for like $120(if you dont care about online). doesnt seem like a good deal to me, even if I played handheld primarily.
I have a v1 launch switch (banned but i never cared about online) and haven't had a single though of upgrading it... The same specs except for a slightly longer battery life and a new oled display. All games are still compatible with v1, it's easy to hack, still has more than 90% of battery capacity after 3 years of use. Easily the best 250$ i spent in the early 2018. See no reason to upgrade unless there's a new hardware with exclusive games/new possibilities. But who stops you, if you have spare 500$ (considering you want to mod it), go for it hah.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If the "mythical" Switch Pro comes on in, the OLED will still be around.
I don't think that an OLED is worth the asking price. That's almost robbery.

I'd say that if you don't have a Switch yet, wait a while longer for the Steam Deck.

Reactions: samarston

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have a v1 launch switch (banned but i never cared about online) and haven't had a single though of upgrading it... The same specs except for a slightly longer battery life and a new oled display. All games are still compatible with v1, it's easy to hack, still has more than 90% of battery capacity after 3 years of use. Easily the best 250$ i spent in the early 2018. See no reason to upgrade unless there's a new hardware with exclusive games/new possibilities. But who stops you, if you have spare 500$ (considering you want to mod it), go for it hah.
My story is exactly the same. But I'd suggest to just get an unpatched model off ebay

Drifter7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Totally not worth it if you already own a Switch.
If you do not and are considering buying a new Switch and not a used one that is hackable (V1), then OLED is a good option.

I don't believe we are going to see a substantial Switch hardware update before 2023. The OLED model just launched 2 months ago.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting an OLED Switch but am not sure if it's worth it.

On one hand there is reason to believe new Nintendo hardware will be announced earlier this year, possibly the mythical Switch Pro which would make the OLED Switch obsolete.

On the other hand I worry that the exploit which the SX modchip clones use may get patched if I delay my purchase.
Majority of the rumors made out the OLED to be the "Pro" that people were speculating. There is no speculation about another hardware revision. Just because the OLED isn't the "Pro" that people imagined it to be doesn't mean its not the Pro Nintendo wanted to release.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't believe we are going to see a substantial Switch hardware update before 2023. The OLED model just launched 2 months ago.
Remember that there is a 6 years difference between the launch dates of the 3DS and the Switch. And the 3DS was very successful, there was no rush to replace it (besides rampant piracy, maybe). The Switch was released in 2017. More than likely, Nintendo is already working on the Switch successor. 2023 might see it's release, or 2024 at the latest. The OLED is probably the last iteration of the Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.