Homebrew Is it worth getting an N3ds?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said he was getting a GCW Zero; it's a thing like a smartphone with actual buttons and analog sticks, designed for emulators. So most likely it plays everything better than the 3DS does at the moment.

edit: woops wrong quote

Er, Snes emulation on those things is still garbage, audio quality ain't that great, really. I'd rather get an N3DS.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Er, Snes emulation on those things is still garbage, audio quality ain't that great, really. I'd rather get an N3DS.
Oh really? By the price I thought it worked at least as well as a mid/high-tier phone or a notebook.
Well then OP, get an N3DS.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I don't have an N3DS...yet, at some point perhaps, does this include Genesis, Snes and GBA by chance?

You have missed the Retroarch thread? Retroarch on the N3DS runs NES, SNES, SMS, GENESIS, GB, GBC, GBA PERFECT!

Then it runs Neo geo pocket color, Virtual boy and a couple of more at decent speeds :P

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You have missed the Retroarch thread? Retroarch on the N3DS runs NES, SNES, SMS, GENESIS, GB, GBC, GBA PERFECT!

Then it runs Neo geo pocket color, Virtual boy and a couple of more at decent speeds :P
Perfect? Nooo, no way. It still has ways to go. You must have tried only the games that work best.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
N3DS crucial sacrifice is gateway emunand beyond 9.5 (hopefully rectified soon.) But it's STILL worth it for headtracking 3d, quiet closing/opening hinges, built in 2nd analog, but most of all the load times are drastically shortened

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
For emulation, N3DS (XL) is the way to go, compared to my O3DS (XL)
Perfect is a big word, it runs them descent and save states do work fine, those i tested, I will mainly use it to run GB/GBC games and some NGP.
But it's a good thing, it's not only Retroarch that has emu's :P Handy 3DS, PokeMini 3DS, mGBA, BlargSNES etc...

Anyway, it's nice to see progress on 3Ds homebrew and it's nice to see emulators especially uses the advantages of the N3DS :) (sorry for the O3Ds users (me included(but i do own N3DS)))

Roto Prime Ender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I own 5, 2 new 3DS and 3 new 3DS LL. They have the build quality of the first 3DS, and the extra power makes the system run a little smoother.

anewaccount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a GCW Zero and can confirm emulation on it is excellent. Can run Yoshi's Island in full speed without any audio issues. The DOS emulator also has a GUI to choose your exe's and the controls don't usually need any tinkering at all.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
No take it from me, it really is worthless in my opinion, save your good hard cash before its too late!. I bought a Zelda version at £200.00 of ebay and now I wish I had kept my money! Don't bother you will get fed up with it soon enough! if you already have a 3dsxl with GW/CFW don't bother ;) also the exclusive games, well 1 so far are nothing to write home about the graphics are no better, in fact it is a massive disappointment when you first play it!, its like damn was that really worth the extra cash when I already own a 3dsxl with a GW card? NO!!! In fact I felt well and truly robbed!!! :(

Last edited by Reecey,

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES.

You get the benefit of better hardware, this is especially helpful for emulation. Best example of this is mGBA where it runs roughly full speed on the N3DS while performance on the old 3DS is nowhere near this. The longer you wait, the more updates will come by. If you want a better chance of using kernel exploit (assuming someone does find one), get the N3DS now before they start shipping them with newer firmware.

The N3DS also fixes a lot of hardware issues with the older models. If you're coming from a 3DS, there's no more screen scratching where the bottom screen's bezel can actually scratch up the top screen. They also improved the speaker from the 3DS XL (but it's still not as good as the original). The extra buttons on the N3DS is going to be great for emulating PS1 or other console since they usually have more buttons than handheld. And lastly, you got that super stable 3D which actually works.

Overall, the New 3DS is certainly worth it. It's better overall and has a lot more potential then the old 3DS when it comes to homebrews/emulations.

Reactions: 730

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No take it from me, it really is worthless in my opinion, save your good hard cash before its too late!. I bought a Zelda version at £200.00 of ebay and now I wish I had kept my money! Don't bother you will get fed up with it soon enough! if you already have a 3dsxl with GW/CFW don't bother ;) also the exclusive games, well 1 so far are nothing to write home about the graphics are no better, in fact it is a massive disappointment when you first play it!, its like damn was that really worth the extra cash when I already own a 3dsxl with a GW card? NO!!! In fact I felt well and truly robbed!!! :(
you even emulate bruh?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If people want to get an N3DS, they should be able to do whatever the heck they want with their money.

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
To each their own, I supposed. the n3DS has better sound quality from the speaker than those cheap knockoff Chinese handhelds (GCW Zero), Snes emulation sounds a helluva lot better on the 3DS anyways lol.
Arghh, I remember those days, you have took me back to my childhood now! the cheap knock off handhelds, alongside the 1000x games in 1 cartridges, thank god for the 1000x games in 1 cartridges!.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Floridawoman is the only thing that can ruin Floridaman +1