Is it possible?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Sterling, Aug 23, 2010.

Aug 23, 2010

Is it possible? by Sterling at 5:59 AM (957 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    No that's not a typo. [​IMG]

I was wondering if it would be possible to completely remove a UMD drive, and replace it with a flash storage device, therefore making a bigger storage device for games? My PSP has already been hacked, but this idea just makes me want to just sacrifice my psp for a cause.

I know there is a sort of attachment you can buy that had an amazing amount of memory for it's time. So I thought, why couldn't this be possible?

Any Temp's thoughts?

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  3. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    The biggest storage possible currently is by using a PhotoFast CR-5400 which can use two microSDHCs in a RAID configuration. So currently you could get 32G with this adapter. Unless you have knowledge of low level operation (benheck-like) then you shouldn't rip your UMD drive out to try to top this...

BTW some games may still need a real UMD to do drive emulation so that is something to think about before you rip it out. [​IMG]

4. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    That's something like I thought Box, but not quite. I was actually thinking of something like a small (but large capacity) external hard drive being put in where the UMD drive is. I guess that would require more than what I actually have in knowledge. :/

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    That is pretty much what that is. Its taking a dual SDHC adapter and putting it in place of the UMD drive. Apparently you can have up to 64GB storage (2x32GB SDHC cards). The alternative is a MS Duo sized device which holds two Micro SDHC cards, but I think the max that way is 32GB.

EDIT: Apparently the CR-3100 actually only supports upto 32GB, so its MUCH easier and pretty much the same end effect to use a CR-5400, and that way you can keep the UMD drive as well.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Witchain PSP HDD....