Is it possible?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Sterling, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Sterling
    OP

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    No that's not a typo. [​IMG]

I was wondering if it would be possible to completely remove a UMD drive, and replace it with a flash storage device, therefore making a bigger storage device for games? My PSP has already been hacked, but this idea just makes me want to just sacrifice my psp for a cause.

I know there is a sort of attachment you can buy that had an amazing amount of memory for it's time. So I thought, why couldn't this be possible?

Any Temp's thoughts?

2. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
  3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    The biggest storage possible currently is by using a PhotoFast CR-5400 which can use two microSDHCs in a RAID configuration. So currently you could get 32G with this adapter. Unless you have knowledge of low level operation (benheck-like) then you shouldn't rip your UMD drive out to try to top this...

BTW some games may still need a real UMD to do drive emulation so that is something to think about before you rip it out. [​IMG]

4. Sterling
    OP

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    That's something like I thought Box, but not quite. I was actually thinking of something like a small (but large capacity) external hard drive being put in where the UMD drive is. I guess that would require more than what I actually have in knowledge. :/

5. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    That is pretty much what that is. Its taking a dual SDHC adapter and putting it in place of the UMD drive. Apparently you can have up to 64GB storage (2x32GB SDHC cards). The alternative is a MS Duo sized device which holds two Micro SDHC cards, but I think the max that way is 32GB.

EDIT: Apparently the CR-3100 actually only supports upto 32GB, so its MUCH easier and pretty much the same end effect to use a CR-5400, and that way you can keep the UMD drive as well.

6. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Witchain PSP HDD....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice