Is it possible with the DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by TheDarkSeed, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarkSeed
    OP

TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

May 11, 2009
    United States
    Carson
    Can n64 emulation be achieved with the DSi with it's stronger processing powers? Or is THAT type of emulation still far off in the distance.

If there were a flash cart that had to be dedicated to emulating n64 roms, I'd buy it without hesitation.

2. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    No it can't.

3. TheDarkSeed
    OP

TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

May 11, 2009
    United States
    Carson
    I should have known. The PSP can barely emulate n64.

Man, Nintendo really made a little kids toy.

4. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    You really think the DSi could emulate N64 with a measly 133Mhz processor?
    The N64 ran on a 93.75Mhz processor itself, and the golden rule of emulation is 7x to 10x the power of what you're trying to emulate.

...It's a wonder the PSP can even do any N64 emu, that's clocked at 333Mhz, without overclock.

5. jackdanielchan

jackdanielchan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    I reckon he played Super Mario 64 DS, on his DS assuming it was almost a direct port of the N64 game, he thought there might be a possibility that they could run other N64 games on a DSi. Not a bad thought though, but many other N64 roms are larger than SM64, so it would take alot of compressing, and staring at shitty quality.

6. Joey Ravn

Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Aug 29, 2007
    Port =/= remake. Super Mario 64DS is not an "almost direct port" at all: it's a remake. The game has been made for DS, not ported over. Besides, the access to DSi-specific features has not been cracked yet. When it's done, then we can start discussing what we can or cannot do with them.

Edit: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=155280

7. jackdanielchan

Mar 15, 2009
    I know it's a remake, I was trying to imply that he assumed that SM64DS was a direct port.

8. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Remake and port are similar, a remake being done without source and a port being done with source code and graphics and such. In this regard SM64DS was a port, with a few additional features added in. The point is that it wasn't emulated.

9. jackdanielchan

Mar 15, 2009
    Amen, DanTHeManMS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.