Hardware Is it possible to fix a ds flash cart?

Toptierboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a dstwo supercard with the green PBC and sadly it freezes on me when playing and then when I reset my ds it isn’t read by the console any more. Is it possible to fix it? Like taking it to a electronic fixing store or something where they can take it apart and maybe replace/fix whatever is wrong with it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"it depends" is going to be the answer, though the actual one probably is not a great answer to the main question.

That sounds more like a contact issue which you can probably sort yourself, and certainly worth trying to. In an ideal world you would have a nice IPA, contact cleaner and scrubbing option for it (fibreglass pens are not that expensive -- sometimes the sell them to clean tile grout with in hardware shops, I found one in a modelling shop a while back) but a cotton bud and some kind of solvent (careful you don't melt the plastic/do a little test first) or some contact cleaner (don't get the automotive one).

Dedicated shops for it is not something I have ever seen. I am sure whatever component level repair shop around you will be able to wave a hot air station over it to do a reflow if that is a thing (could be, has fixed some things for people and many are of a design). Parts replacement likely not -- most chips got very hard to find for the original makers (why many are no longer made or got new versions) and might also need to be programmed with code nobody has, and it is unlikely to be basic passives.

Reactions: Toptierboy

Toptierboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"it depends" is going to be the answer, though the actual one probably is not a great answer to the main question.

That sounds more like a contact issue which you can probably sort yourself, and certainly worth trying to. In an ideal world you would have a nice IPA, contact cleaner and scrubbing option for it (fibreglass pens are not that expensive -- sometimes the sell them to clean tile grout with in hardware shops, I found one in a modelling shop a while back) but a cotton bud and some kind of solvent (careful you don't melt the plastic/do a little test first) or some contact cleaner (don't get the automotive one).

Dedicated shops for it is not something I have ever seen. I am sure whatever component level repair shop around you will be able to wave a hot air station over it to do a reflow if that is a thing (could be, has fixed some things for people and many are of a design). Parts replacement likely not -- most chips got very hard to find for the original makers (why many are no longer made or got new versions) and might also need to be programmed with code nobody has, and it is unlikely to be basic passives.
Thank you for the response! I took it apart and cleaned it as good as I could the only thing was where the micro sd goes into I haven’t cleaned cause I’m nervous that might damage it considering how it’s made. Was thinking of removing the spring too maybe that would work. The contacts on the actual cart look really good and the micro sd cards are new too. I’m thinking it’s gotta be something in the slot where the micro sd goes. Cause my ds reads my other carts just fine too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1