ROM Hack Is it plausible to "un-localize" names and undub voices in Yokai Watch once it releases?

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like this also. Unfortunately if it's not an RPG the there is no interest. Just wish a lot of games get undub treatment.
Yokai Watch is an RPG.
The undub WILL happen at some point. It's the localized names I'm more concerned with.

Reactions: cvskid

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yokai Watch is an RPG.
The undub WILL happen at some point. It's the localized names I'm more concerned with.
well, can't most games be classes as 'rpg'?
unless you do the undub yourself you can't be so certain of this happening, unless you can predict the future

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some things the localization changed that that need changed back that I am aware of:
-Character's first and last names
-Most of the Yokai's names
-Example of a name: change "Cheeksqueek" back to "Onarazumono" (おならず者)
-Example of a name: Keep "Whisper" as is, because his JP name is "Wisupaa" (ウィスパー) (Names that are clearly meant to an English word might as well be changed to their English word counterparts, if they aren't already. But this is all my ideal version. The choice is up to the one doing the actual work)

-Town's name
-Unhyphenate "Yo-kai" and add the "U" (Youkai) (Not necessary, but the weeb inside me wishes someone to...)
-Yokai classes (This one is up in the air. Part of me wants the original class names, but part of me doesn't mind as long as the translation in sufficiently accurate enough.)

If anyone has anything they want to add, go ahead and post.
This is just a list of my ideal changes.

Sorry if this is obvious or irrelevant or whatever but I wanted to post it anyway.

Last edited by Solar12,

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, can't most games be classes as 'rpg'?
unless you do the undub yourself you can't be so certain of this happening, unless you can predict the future
No, you can't.
I really don't want to argue what constitutes an RPG but this game is clearly one.
The reason I say it WILL get an undub is because it's a big name RPG with a mediocre dub. (aren't most of them mediocre anyway?)
I have no worries.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

pokemon doesn't get undubbed... so why this?
just curious about what people think about that.
Pokemon doesn't have voices...

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
No, you can't.
I really don't want to argue what constitutes an RPG but this game is clearly one.
The reason I say it WILL get an undub is because it's a big name RPG with a mediocre dub. (aren't most of them mediocre anyway?)
I have no worries.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pokemon doesn't have voices...
isn't mario an rpg because you play as mario, play his role, trying to save the princess? (i digress, i know what 'rpg' games are)
ah ok i guess i forget how much of the game was voiced, i didn't think it was that much. :)
good luck with this!

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
How similiar are the localized and original versions? I was considering trying the opposite - putting the English localization over my JP copy's romfs.

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't mario an rpg because you play as mario, play his role, trying to save the princess? (i digress, i know what 'rpg' games are)
ah ok i guess i forget how much of the game was voiced, i didn't think it was that much. :)
good luck with this!
If you wanna get literal then yeah, anything is an RPG lol.
But the "RPG genre" is well defined.

And yeah, thanks for the luck! I know I'll need it. :(

Reactions: cearp

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
just curious about what people think about that.

I guess my reason for it is Youkai is very much a Japanese Folklore thing and from what I've seen of the game the town is very Japanese, I mean its got a Shrine and hell the character will take off his shoes when going into the house.

Where as Pokemon feels like more of a made up world if that makes any sense?

Reactions: Zidapi

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I guess my reason for it is Youkai is very much a Japanese Folklore thing and from what I've seen of the game the town is very Japanese, I mean its got a Shrine and hell the character will take off his shoes when going into the house.

Where as Pokemon feels like more of a made up world if that makes any sense?
sure i can agree, also pokemon is 'old', many people are used to names like Bellsprout, Bulbasaur etc from the tv show, but this game is new and people don't really care about the localized names because they don't mean anything to them

JazzCat.CL

Trophies
Website
chevaduchat.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Chile
At least we're still getting the game. Plus, name changes during localization is normal. Just look at Pokemon, for instance.
But, if someone does make a rom hack undubbing and renaming the names and terminology for Yokai Watch, that'd be pretty amazing.
I would like that for the inazuma eleven go games

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update.
Now if only someone could change the names back, I'd be in heaven.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
actually it's not SO simple as just a copy and paste of the names, even though you guys want the japanese names which you won't understand, i think you will still want to be able to pronounce them i guess, so someone has to do the dirty work of transliterating/writing the japanese names out in romaji
doing that for all the youkai would be annoying
('anyone' can do the undub, but to turn the names into english you have to be ok with japanese)

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually it's not SO simple as just a copy and paste of the names, even though you guys want the japanese names which you won't understand, i think you will still want to be able to pronounce them i guess, so someone has to do the dirty work of transliterating/writing the japanese names out in romaji
doing that for all the youkai would be annoying
I understand.
But if I can get someone to actually insert the names, I have no problem with rewriting all of the names to Romaji myself.
I can read Katakana/Hiragana and research any Kanji I don't know. Plus most, if not all, are already written in Romaji on the Youkai wiki.

There's only 223 Youkai in the first game. I can compile a list of the names in a few days most likely. I most definitely have the time to do it.
I just need someone who can insert the names before I'd consider getting started as I really don't want to waste my time if there's no promise of completion because I don't have the ability or know-how to insert the text myself.

Last edited by Solar12,

Cerzel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The guy who finally finished the Rune Factory 4 undub also unlocalised it to the extent of restoring honorifics in place of localised titles (eg Dolce-san -> Miss Dolce). Might be worth talking to him about it.

Reactions: Zidapi

laolao000

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
In pokemon we had a completely fictional universe filled with completely fictional creatures, so you couldn't feel that something is wrong with the localization. Youkai Watch takes place in a japanese town and you can see and feel it even through the localization. Youkai are not just some stupid fictional monsters, they have been a part of Japanese mythology since ancient times and it's kind of stupid to change their names like that and turn them into some shitty pokemons. It's stupid to rip off all the cultural references when the game is filled with japanese spirit. I can't understand why they are so much afraid of other cultures. People say that they make it for children, but that just makes no sense as there is nothing that children can't understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol