ROM Hack Is it plausible to "un-localize" names and undub voices in Yokai Watch once it releases?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
In pokemon we had a completely fictional universe filled with completely fictional creatures, so you couldn't feel that something is wrong with the localization. Youkai Watch takes place in a japanese town and you can see and feel it even through the localization. Youkai are not just some stupid fictional monsters, they have been a part of Japanese mythology since ancient times and it's kind of stupid to change their names like that and turn them into some shitty pokemons. It's stupid to rip off all the cultural references when the game is filled with japanese spirit. I can't understand why they are so much afraid of other cultures. People say that they make it for children, but that just makes no sense as there is nothing that children can't understand.
in the game there are seaweed youkai with names based off of seaweed names. nothing acient and mythological there lol
i enjoyed the gamebut i'm saying the real jp version is still just as silly as the translation i guess.
japanese children will understand that the seaweed youkai have names based off seaweed, but american children won't, so the american children would miss out. that is why names get translated.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
some names are made of a Japanese sounds (those sounds you can see as kana in manga), or pun or both too :)

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just stop with this undub thing. In the vast majority of the cases it's stupid, annoying and pointless.
Most japanese games have the same awful generic voice actors playing the same cliche anime roles.

Just move to Japan, learn japanese and play the original japanese game already.

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just stop with this undub thing. In the vast majority of the cases it's stupid, annoying and pointless.
Most japanese games have the same awful generic voice actors playing the same cliche anime roles.

Just move to Japan, learn japanese and play the original japanese game already.
Never have I seen a more obvious troll.

If it's so easy to just learn Japanese and move to and make a living in Japan, then let me meet with your connections that you seem to have there.
Also I need money. My PayPal is [email protected]. Please send me your seemingly endless supply of money so I can fulfill all of my dreams.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the game there are seaweed youkai with names based off of seaweed names. nothing acient and mythological there lol
i enjoyed the gamebut i'm saying the real jp version is still just as silly as the translation i guess.
japanese children will understand that the seaweed youkai have names based off seaweed, but american children won't, so the american children would miss out. that is why names get translated.

The obvious answer to this is to have a version which translates the names that are references to things like seaweed, and doesn't translate the names that are actually taken from folklore. It doesn't have to translate all or nothing; it's quite possible to translate only the things that make sense translated.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
in case anyone misunderstands me i want to reiterate that i really ennjoyed the game when i played it (in japanese) - i just think to get the same feeling (which, surely you want to get the whole feeling right?) - to get the whole feeling, you need to understand it. sure the names are only a tiny bit of the game, but it was just a example since some people say they want an undub to get the 'whole feeling'.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
in case anyone misunderstands me i want to reiterate that i really ennjoyed the game when i played it (in japanese) - i just think to get the same feeling (which, surely you want to get the whole feeling right?) - to get the whole feeling, you need to understand it. sure the names are only a tiny bit of the game, but it was just a example since some people say they want an undub to get the 'whole feeling'.
They really have no idea. They just want to be the special snowflakes playing with the original japanese voices.

Solar12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really have no idea. They just want to be the special snowflakes playing with the original japanese voices.
Cearp voiced his opinion and it's fine.
He may disagree on some levels but he wasn't a dick about it. He was respectful, unlike you.
People have preferences and their own reasons for the things they want and do. You've voiced your opinion and it's completely illogical.

Pack it up, man.

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually it's not SO simple as just a copy and paste of the names, even though you guys want the japanese names which you won't understand, i think you will still want to be able to pronounce them i guess, so someone has to do the dirty work of transliterating/writing the japanese names out in romaji
doing that for all the youkai would be annoying
('anyone' can do the undub, but to turn the names into english you have to be ok with japanese)

I know this is an older thread now, but to add to this:

I found an undub on that ISO site that runs via HANS. Whenever you "befriend" a Youkai, you are given the opportunity to give them a nickname for StreetPass and stuff. I noticed that the romanized versions of their names in Japanese often wouldn't fit in this box.

Depending on how the game is coded (are strings for entity names normally only able to be so long, for example), making their names longer could cause some problems with file-size and such with a simple ROMFS patch.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1