Hacking Is it necessary to update your system?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Stay on 11.3, you're not missing out with 11.4...
Only if you stay offline. If you play online there is extra work to stay on 11.3. Nothing works on 11.3 that doesn't on 11.4 (except maybe the occasional unpopular, outdated homebrew) so if you use the net there's no reason to stay on 11.3 (if you stay offline then there's not really any difference).

Reactions: The Catboy

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if you stay offline. If you play online there is extra work to stay on 11.3. Nothing works on 11.3 that doesn't on 11.4 (except maybe the occasional unpopular, outdated homebrew) so if you use the net there's no reason to stay on 11.3 (if you stay offline then there's not really any difference).
Even online is easy though, I play Triforce heroes online all the time without difficulty. I don't even need CTR-HTTPWN... The only online functions that need CTR-HTTPWN are the ones requiring an NNID, and the eShop. Though, I hardly use those... Unless, there's something I'm missing... Feel free to correct me if I forgot something :)

CaptainSwag101

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned this before, but I believe 11.4 fixes an issue from 11.3 that causes noticeable slowdown in several games like Ocarina of Time 3D. So, there is still a possible reason to update even if you don't mind about some of the online functions requiring CTR-HTTPWN.

Reactions: Quantumcat

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned this before, but I believe 11.4 fixes an issue from 11.3 that causes noticeable slowdown in several games like Ocarina of Time 3D. So, there is still a possible reason to update even if you don't mind about some of the online functions requiring CTR-HTTPWN.
Wasn't OOT3D the only game with noticeable slowdown? Or at least the only game that was complained about having noticeable slowdown in the 11.3 update?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't OOT3D the only game with noticeable slowdown? Or at least the only game that was complained about having noticeable slowdown in the 11.3 update?

it's the only game I remember reading about. I beat the game 100% before that update, so I was unaffected by this.

CaptainSwag101

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't recall. I seem to remember the reports mentioning that there were "several games" with slowdown, but I can only remember OoT 3D being mentioned by name.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't recall. I seem to remember the reports mentioning that there were "several games" with slowdown, but I can only remember OoT 3D being mentioned by name.
I actually forgot about that XD. I do really like that game... Maybe I will update, just for the sweet sweet OOT3D...

ganjam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can downgrade to 11.3 at any time, so it's not really an issue. If you want to play online but not update to 11.5 for any reason, just downgrade instead.

Sorry if this question seems stupid as i am new to the scene but can you can downgrade from 11.4 like you mentioned?.
the thread stickied in the forum says its not possible to downgrade from 11.4.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry if this question seems stupid as i am new to the scene but can you can downgrade from 11.4 like you mentioned?.
the thread stickied in the forum says its not possible to downgrade from 11.4.
That's downgrading from stock, this is downgrading with the help of a CFW. Stock requires a kernel exploit in order to downgrade, where as the CFW can actually provide that exploit.
Looking it up people say "older games," but only focus on Oot :f I wish I had a better answer. But it seems if there were other games, no one cared enough to list them.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Rayan92

ganjam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

I was thinking of purchasing a New 3ds XL, i have never owned a 3ds before, but from what i have read lately about ntrboothax im hoping i can go that route when it comes to fruition.

One question, is there any guides or software for people who would like to downgrade to 11.3, i do not think 3dsguide covers this subject, but if from now 11.4 people are forced to move to 11.5 (in the future) to use online services, it seems like its fairly important thing to learn.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of purchasing a New 3ds XL, i have never owned a 3ds before, but from what i have read lately about ntrboothax im hoping i can go that route when it comes to fruition.

One question, is there any guides or software for people who would like to downgrade to 11.3, i do not think 3dsguide covers this subject, but if from now 11.4 people are forced to move to 11.5 (in the future) to use online services, it seems like its fairly important thing to learn.
If you're just now buying a N3DSXL, it will likely be on 11.3, which means you will likely be able to easily install CFW using Soundhax.

As for downgrades, there's no practical purpose for them, so there's no reason to cover them in the guide. If a hypothetical 11.5 is required to play online in the future, the recommendation, like it's always been, will be to update the CFW 3DS to the latest version.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was thinking of purchasing a New 3ds XL, i have never owned a 3ds before
One question, is there any guides or software for people who would like to downgrade to 11.3
Again, you cannot downgrade from OFW 11.4. Period.

But as @Lacius said, as far as we know there are no 11.4 3DSes in US/EU stores*, so the question of downgrading is irrelevant.

* new2DS XL consoles are however on 11.4, but these are only available in Japan and Australia.

Last edited by Zidapi,
Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, you cannot downgrade from OFW 11.4. Period.

But as @Lacius said, as far as we know there are no 11.4 3DSes in stores, so the question of downgrading is irrelevant.
It's a little confusing, but I think he was talking about guides on how to downgrade to 11.3 on a CFW 3DS, not an OFW 3DS.

Reactions: Quantumcat

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The threads that cover downgrades come up with nearly every release, provided they're already CFW enabled. 11.3 > 11.2 was especially prevalent as a result of the issues introduced with Zelda and Gateway. You can check my post history for a quick run on how to do it with FBI, provided other simpler methods aren't working.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

ganjam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a little confusing, but I think he was talking about guides on how to downgrade to 11.3 on a CFW 3DS, not an OFW 3DS.

correct, sorry for any confusement, i noticed near the end of 3dsguides soundhax method it states to update your firmware to the latest one, im suprirsed its safe to do while you have CFW installed, thats the bit that throws me, do you guys update to 11.4 after you have succesfully got CFW installed, or do you stay on 11.3

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
correct, sorry for any confusement, i noticed near the end of 3dsguides soundhax method it states to update your firmware to the latest one, im suprirsed its safe to do while you have CFW installed, thats the bit that throws me, do you guys update to 11.4 after you have succesfully got CFW installed, or do you stay on 11.3

For 11.4, it's perfectly safe to update. For future updates, at the very minimum you should check the forums for the folks with hardmods to do their thing, just to be safe. As a general rule, it's best to wait at least a week or so for any potential issues to be brought to light, however unlikely.

Reactions: Zidapi and Rayan92

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to update to 11.4. Luma3DS prevents system updates from overwriting B9S, so it's impossible for a system update to remove CFW.

Future incompatilities are possible but unlikely.

ganjam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no reason not to update to 11.4. Luma3DS prevents system updates from overwriting B9S, so it's impossible for a system update to remove CFW.

Future incompatilities are possible but unlikely.

Ah i see, i never knew this, thats pretty damn clever, thanks for the speedy replies folks, much appreciated.

Reactions: Rayan92

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-