Gaming Is it me, or is Castlevania POR really hard???

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

Following all the great reviews of Castlevania POR, I decided to try it. It was my first Castlevania game. I should have played it sooner: I really like this Metroid-like exploration gameplay! I quickly got addicted, playing without major difficulty (except for the bosses that are a little hard). But then, I arrived at the Pyramid level... is it just me that is really bad, or as it started to be really difficult?! All those "flying things" are lowering my life a lot, and every ennemy seem to be more strong/endurant/fast etc... I use those potions really fast, almost one every on-two rooms... I'm at level 14. I must have tried for one hour to pass the same set of rooms, always dying and dying and dying... It's starting to be not fun anymore...

Am I missing something important, or do I just suck at this game?
wacko.gif

PS: Don't tell me to cheat, I just hate that.

squeaks

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!

Following all the great reviews of Castlevania POR, I decided to try it. It was my first Castlevania game. I should have played it sooner: I really like this Metroid-like exploration gameplay! I quickly got addicted, playing without major difficulty (except for the bosses that are a little hard). But then, I arrived at the Pyramid level... is it just me that is really bad, or as it started to be really difficult?! All those "flying things" are lowering my life a lot, and every ennemy seem to be more strong/endurant/fast etc... I use those potions really fast, almost one every on-two rooms... I'm at level 14. I must have tried for one hour to pass the same set of rooms, always dying and dying and dying... It's starting to be not fun anymore...

Am I missing something important, or do I just suck at this game?Â
wacko.gif

PS: Don't tell me to cheat, I just hate that.

Level up. Have you been jumping over monsters? Avoiding them? Kill everything you see early on. Everything. Even if you;re a bout to exit a room and you see a monster pop out, go right back and kill it. Diligently kill. Kill, kill, kill.

DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might need to level grind a bit. Do some of Winds missions. Kill everything you see. Make sure you have the best gear equipped. Seeing as how this is your first Castlevania, you likely aren't used to how they play. Check some of the guides and make sure you've found all the secrets you can get to. Those Life and Mana Prisms (give you more total life and magic) are priceless.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ahah, there was definively something I was missing: using both character's strenghts! I was always using "the guy" (can't remmember his name ^^"), but I found that the girl is really faster, more effective against certain ennemies (like those flying things I hated!) and that her magics can reach far ennemies.

I guess I will need some time to get all the subtilities of the gameplay!
tongue.gif

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey, this was my first Castlevania game as well, so we should be somewhere on the same wavelength I guess.

The flying skulls (or anything not bound to the ground) were all pretty annoying to me. Luckily, there is a weapon in the game (a whip for Jonathon, *hint*hint*) that autoa-targets enemies for you. It gets sorta weak up to the point you can get the flame whip, but it takes out all the double-jumping/partner-jumping/whip-swinging stuff. Just switch over to Alucard's Spear for awesome damage in the end game.

Also, you should take note that Charlotte's (it is Charlotte, no?) weapon's are quite limited, but pretty useful in some situations. For the Pyramid, she has a book that has a knight on a horse popping out (Don Quixote?) that deals magical damages and is more effective than Jonathon if he has no elemental weapons. Other times, you will want to use the tome of arms 3 for very good and reliable computer-controlled short-range defense against 'ghost-head rampages'.

Don't forget you can use Charlotte's magic thru the shoulder buttons (if you're primarily using Jonathon)! Equip the slippery boots (or something) for Jonathon and equip the Nebulous Whip: Great auto-targetting reach + 2x backslide= recipe for success! And don't forget to find the Holy Lightning dual-tech: it'll last you all the way thru, or you decide to use Meteor Strike.

I realize I going into some areas you probably would get to use for some time, so I'll stop here. POR was a really great way to be initiated into the Castlevania series, so don't give up just yet! Maybe when you reach the Den of Evil....

Anyway, good luck. And learn to abuse Falcon Strike when you get it!!

square

The Professor
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Castlevania metroid style games are some of the easiest there are.
If memory serves me right the worst castlevania for me was Dracula in Super Castlevania where the floor is pillars and instant death abysses.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say it was hard, definitely the easiest or the non-linear 2D Castlevanias.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ya, in fact it's not this hard... but some things are really hard to figure out!! If I hadn't read it in a FAQ, I wouldn't had known to search for the purification magic in the pyramid once I got the frog form, so I could beat the two sisters... If you don't read I guide, I don't know how you should figure this out... or is it stated in the game and I just wasn't paying attention?

Gene98

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
1)Ghost told U about healing of his doughters.
2)EVERY time u got new _that_ skill go throught ALL words in search of secrets. Or, just like I do - point all secrets u see, but cant take on the map

So... It's again u XD

btw ALL non-linear Castlevanias MUCH easer than old 2d beat'em ups, Like castlevania: Dracula X(my favorite...)

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, I'm level 25 and just reached the pyramid dungeon...

What I do to level is I go to this place with three zombie gunmen facing left and right next to a save room, I keep going in and out and slaying them (since they're facing left they can't see you) to get 150xp each time. Very fast leveling and you will get the summon guman spell.

MCTF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just beat the game today. Took my time to do it, levelling up.
I got 1000% complete (all quests, all maps, Nest of Evil, etc) and finished at lvl 62. Not bad.
Dracula was a piece of cake (Holy Claymore + Cross (Master))
happy.gif

It was one of the best games I've ever played and really adicting...
So adicting I don't know what to do with my life now
wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)