Hacking Is it just me...

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently softmodded my wii (no, not a noob) and I want to back up some of my discs in my new computer's HDD.
Here's the problem: I load the app from the homebrew channel, it loads, and then nothing. Just a blank screen.
I have IOS58 v24.32 installed on a 4.3U wii, and I have seen that some apps require lower versions. I try to modify the IOS, but I get the same problem.
I already reloaded my NAND from backup, still nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Am I missing something?
The homebrew channel reads the boot.dol files fine for the dumper and IOS apps, I guess the error is in the execution?

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I'm seriously not a noob.
I have modded consoles before, starting with my old ps2.

EDIT: I didn't think to take the GCB memory card out... Ill try that.

EDIT 2: Nope, still no dice... Other apps are working fine, it's just when I try to mod the IOS or load a disc dumper...

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starcruiser said:
No I'm seriously not a noob.
I have modded consoles before, starting with my old ps2.

EDIT: I didn't think to take the GCB memory card out... Ill try that.

EDIT 2: Nope, still no dice... Other apps are working fine, it's just when I try to mod the IOS or load a disc dumper...

did you do what I said? http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate those text-only interfaces because my tv sucks, badly. It flickers a lot and cuts off the bottom and sides...
anyway when I installed the new cIOS you linked me to, I still have the same problem. It said it completed, and exited to the HBC, so I checked the IOS version... unchanged. Is that normal? Probably not. I tried loading my app that originally gave me troubles... still a black screen.
stand by for diagnostic results.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starcruiser said:
I hate those text-only interfaces because my tv sucks, badly. It flickers a lot and cuts off the bottom and sides...
anyway when I installed the new cIOS you linked me to, I still have the same problem. It said it completed, and exited to the HBC, so I checked the IOS version... unchanged. Is that normal? Probably not. I tried loading my app that originally gave me troubles... still a black screen.
stand by for diagnostic results.

alright sounds good, i'll check back in a few.

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I installed and ran Dop Mii and ran a syscheck.
After all the warnings about the possibility of bricking, do I want to continue, blah blah blah...
It said 27 IOS's are able to be tested or something like that.
It commenced the test of each IOS... and I encountered an "exception" message.
Should I try again or am I just lucky I didn't get bricked?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starcruiser said:
After all the warnings about the possibility of bricking, do I want to continue, blah blah blah...

i need the to see the syscheck file. see if dop-mii saves them look at your sd card root

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shano56 said:
Starcruiser said:

i need the to see the syscheck file. see if dop-mii saves them look at your sd card root

I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary...
any idea what file name I should be looking for? The app had a few different files to install in different locations... any idea where I should look?
Maybe you could even suggest another app?

EDIT: the app never finished whatever it was doing when it crashed...

EDIT 2: Using the Dop Mii app I could downgrade my system menu version if that could be an issue... scan failed again btw...

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CAN NO ONE HELP MII...
cry.gif

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're not gonna run syscheck (http://www.mediafire.com/?warxgd9hkw2wg7g) and post your results, I can't help you.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Starcruiser said:
I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary...
any idea what file name I should be looking for? The app had a few different files to install in different locations... any idea where I should look?
Maybe you could even suggest another app?
The root of your SD card. There should be a new file called "syscheck.csv" or something. Open it (with notepad, if you have to), then copy-paste it here.

And no, there is no other program than that. I think dop-mii actually uses the same code as the syscheck application itself.

Finally: no offense, but experience with other consoles doesn't make you any less of a newby when it comes to wii hacking. In fact, that experience can work very well against you. In this case: DO NOT DOWNGRADE YOUR SYSTEM MENU. It will NOT help, and you only risk bricking your wii in the process.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
CleanRip is not only the best ripper out there, it also runs ON A CLEAN IOS, no cIOS necessary. Throw it on your SD card, load it through HBC and it should work. If not, update IOS58 with DOP-Mii WITHOUT ANY PATCHES (there is no reason to patch IOS58 anyway).

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shano56 said:
if you're not gonna run syscheck (http://www.mediafire.com/?warxgd9hkw2wg7g) and post your results, I can't help you.
The problem is that the syscheck errors out and doesn't save the results.
I tried 3 times.

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CleanRip is running and seems to be going well. All I really wanted was to be able to dump the image.
Will I be able to burn the image in case of failure of the original disc, though?

EDIT: To be more specific, will the wii read the backed up disc? Or do I need another special channel?

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIX94 said:
How old is the wii and what's the wii serial number?
The console is only a few years old, serial number, though, I don't really want to post...
I can look up it's manufacture date myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I really don't feel like going through the Nintendo line. I estimate late 2008 based on it's stock menu version.

EDIT 2: I guess I could post the first few digits of the serial... LU56

riahc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst part about a noobie is saying he, himself, saying he isnt a noobie AND not following the requests of other members.

Starcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a disc image now, split into two parts, but I keep getting "the syntax of the command is incorrect" when I try to use windows command prompt's copy function. Here is the synatax I tried: (files are in the root of the c drive)
C:\Windows\system32>copy /b C:/(part0 iso) + (part1 iso) game.iso

What am I doing wrong?

And riahc3, what "requests" did I not follow? The syscheck failed out, no log was made. I posted the important part of the serial... what do you mean?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: