Gaming Is it just me or was C.O.R.E. a letdown?

robgraves

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After all the hype and buildup, i feel like i expected more. but maybe that's just me. i could be wrong.

FISHY_au

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah, i spose it was a bit of a letdown. even for a sci-fi game, it was a bit unrealistic. The graphics were pretty shocking, even considering it IS a NDS game. the GUI was ok, though, easy to select guns and stuff. Didn't like the storyline very much, it was kinda lacking. But all things considered, id probably give it a 6/10. To be honest, i was expecting more like a 8 or 9/10. Still, the multiplayer was your average fragfest, good when you and a buch of friends a bored and in need of some bloodshed
biggrin.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
robgraves said:
After all the hype and buildup, i feel like i expected more. but maybe that's just me. i could be wrong.

rolleyes.gif

No, it's not just you, unfortunately. Though all the signs pointed to mediocrity before the game's release -- including poor reviews -- folks, for some reason, still waited eagerly, as though the game was going to relieve their summer blues. I actually thought it would suck worse than it does, so it was a pleasant surprise for me. It ain't great, but it's a fun, little retro-type shooter.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't feel like a let down to me, looked dull as dishwater and not the kind of game they should bother making for the DS.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought it was pretty decent, but then again I love every first person shooter that comes out on the DS. This one had some good gameplay and the graphics were decent. The major let-downs for me were that the campaign was too short and there were only 2 alien weapons

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
What a load of crap C.O.R.E was, i mean L to zoom? It's not easy for left-handers, the graphics were total crap, no Wi-Fi what a waste of bandwith. Moon was 10 times better than that crap, i can't believe i actually hyped and got excited over this shit. The worst FPS on DS to date.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
luke_c said:
What a load of crap C.O.R.E was, i mean L to zoom? It's not easy for left-handers, the graphics were total crap, no Wi-Fi what a waste of bandwith. Moon was 10 times better than that crap, i can't believe i actually hyped and got excited over this shit. The worst FPS on DS to date.
Worse than Goldeneye Double Agent?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
LOL core. I don't know why anyone was hyped in the first place, every trailer was a dull generic shooter that was like Quake.

And yet folks made such a big deal about playing a homebrew version of Quake. Let's be clear, though. Quake was great in its day. For many of us, it's just fine to go back to something like that. Of course, it's equally understanding why folks aren't attracted to something like that these days. Still, I agree, it was never a game worth getting excited about, but younger folks seem to get all hot & bothered by anything that has a whiff of a more rough edge on a Nintendo system.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Scribblenauts anyone?

Seriously, it justs screams to me "Drawn to Life" which SUCKED. I hope everyone gets very disappointed when they download it, or even worse, actually buy it.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
ShatteredScreens said:
Scribblenauts anyone?

Seriously, it justs screams to me "Drawn to Life" which SUCKED. I hope everyone gets very disappointed when they download it, or even worse, actually buy it.
The hype around Scribblenauts isn't just some empty hype though. Dozens of game journalists have play-tested it and gave it good reviews. Clearly it's not gonna be the best game evar but it can't possibly be bad unless all those journalists are complete idiots.

And saying Scribblenauts is the same as Drawn to Life is like saying Sonic and Samba de Amigo are the same game because they are made by the same company and has the same art style.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
I haven't played C.O.R.E yet and wasn't really that hyped, though if people are saying that it was 10x better than MOON then I'm not going to play it probably. IMO MOON was shit-tier, the only decent FPS DS games that I've tried are MPH and Golden Eye: Rouge Agent (On multiplayer).

@ShatteredScreens: Drawn to Life didn't suck, it was pretty fun. Just because you hate on those games you don't need to say that everyone should get disappointed when Scribblenauts comes out.

Seaniam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
C.O.R.E. was a let down before it was released.
I agree with 'worst FPS' on the DS..dull graphics, boring gameplay, bad sound/soundtrack... and yet..im gonna finish it anyway cos thats what you do, you play games. You dont just judge em.

Its been said a million times though, this game was mediocre from the begining. The screens, reviews and ultimate delays should have been more than enough to prepare you for the Quake-era-average dissapointment.
Id play Quake over this. I have it on my card, i might go do that.

Metroid Prime Hunters still owns...unchallenged, undisputed.
Call of Duty and Dementium can fight it out for runner up position.
MOON, Bionicle, Bond...never quite got there but are worth a go...

CORE never stood a chance.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ShatteredScreens said:
Scribblenauts anyone?

Seriously, it justs screams to me "Drawn to Life" which SUCKED. I hope everyone gets very disappointed when they download it, or even worse, actually buy it.I think the only think Drawn to Life and Scribblenauts have in common is the artstyle!

QUOTE(Chrono_Tata @ Aug 28 2009, 12:56 AM) And saying Scribblenauts is the same as Drawn to Life is like saying Sonic and Samba de Amigo are the same game because they are made by the same company and has the same art style.
I wouldn`t say it is the same thing, since SEGA is a bigger company with teams working on different games and every team has strength and weaknesses. For example I expect better games from AM2 then I expect from SonicTeam (even though the structure of SEGA has changed a lot lately...). But 5th Cell is a rather small company so chances are the same people work, who previously worked on DTL now worked on Scribblenauts... But I though DTL was pretty decent and Scribblenauts looks brilliant from what I`ve seen so far.

@Topic: Framerate was not fast enough for me. Not worth playing it at that state, especially since I heard, that the developer "finished" the game back in November and hadn`t touched it till its release. They should have used that extra time!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?