Is it just me or was C.O.R.E. a letdown?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by robgraves, Aug 26, 2009.

Aug 26, 2009
  1. robgraves
    OP

Newcomer robgraves Advanced Member

United States
    After all the hype and buildup, i feel like i expected more. but maybe that's just me. i could be wrong.

2. .:Crimonite:.

Member .:Crimonite:. GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    yeah, i spose it was a bit of a letdown. even for a sci-fi game, it was a bit unrealistic. The graphics were pretty shocking, even considering it IS a NDS game. the GUI was ok, though, easy to select guns and stuff. Didn't like the storyline very much, it was kinda lacking. But all things considered, id probably give it a 6/10. To be honest, i was expecting more like a 8 or 9/10. Still, the multiplayer was your average fragfest, good when you and a buch of friends a bored and in need of some bloodshed [​IMG]

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    [​IMG]

No, it's not just you, unfortunately. Though all the signs pointed to mediocrity before the game's release -- including poor reviews -- folks, for some reason, still waited eagerly, as though the game was going to relieve their summer blues. I actually thought it would suck worse than it does, so it was a pleasant surprise for me. It ain't great, but it's a fun, little retro-type shooter.

4. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    beats the shit outta moon

5. zanxy

Newcomer zanxy Advanced Member

Slovenia
    Well it was letdown for me too, I only liked multiplayer, cause it has ctf xD, everything else was kinda sucky, but well.... 7/10

6. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Lets say it like this: Moon was waaaay better.

7. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Didn't feel like a let down to me, looked dull as dishwater and not the kind of game they should bother making for the DS.

8. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I thought it was pretty decent, but then again I love every first person shooter that comes out on the DS. This one had some good gameplay and the graphics were decent. The major let-downs for me were that the campaign was too short and there were only 2 alien weapons

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    SO either way its crap [​IMG]

It was a let down, it was full of hype for no reason. Yet another overrated game [​IMG]

10. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    What a load of crap C.O.R.E was, i mean L to zoom? It's not easy for left-handers, the graphics were total crap, no Wi-Fi what a waste of bandwith. Moon was 10 times better than that crap, i can't believe i actually hyped and got excited over this shit. The worst FPS on DS to date.

11. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    Worse than Goldeneye Double Agent?

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    LOL core. I don't know why anyone was hyped in the first place, every trailer was a dull generic shooter that was like Quake.

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    And yet folks made such a big deal about playing a homebrew version of Quake. Let's be clear, though. Quake was great in its day. For many of us, it's just fine to go back to something like that. Of course, it's equally understanding why folks aren't attracted to something like that these days. Still, I agree, it was never a game worth getting excited about, but younger folks seem to get all hot & bothered by anything that has a whiff of a more rough edge on a Nintendo system.

14. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Scribblenauts anyone?

Seriously, it justs screams to me "Drawn to Life" which SUCKED. I hope everyone gets very disappointed when they download it, or even worse, actually buy it.

15. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    The hype around Scribblenauts isn't just some empty hype though. Dozens of game journalists have play-tested it and gave it good reviews. Clearly it's not gonna be the best game evar but it can't possibly be bad unless all those journalists are complete idiots.

And saying Scribblenauts is the same as Drawn to Life is like saying Sonic and Samba de Amigo are the same game because they are made by the same company and has the same art style.

16. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    I haven't played C.O.R.E yet and wasn't really that hyped, though if people are saying that it was 10x better than MOON then I'm not going to play it probably. IMO MOON was shit-tier, the only decent FPS DS games that I've tried are MPH and Golden Eye: Rouge Agent (On multiplayer).

@ShatteredScreens: Drawn to Life didn't suck, it was pretty fun. Just because you hate on those games you don't need to say that everyone should get disappointed when Scribblenauts comes out.

17. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I didn't like it much either... The story sort of got out of the way so I got rid of it! [​IMG]

18. Seaniam

Newcomer Seaniam Member

Australia
    C.O.R.E. was a let down before it was released.
    I agree with 'worst FPS' on the DS..dull graphics, boring gameplay, bad sound/soundtrack... and yet..im gonna finish it anyway cos thats what you do, you play games. You dont just judge em.

Its been said a million times though, this game was mediocre from the begining. The screens, reviews and ultimate delays should have been more than enough to prepare you for the Quake-era-average dissapointment.
    Id play Quake over this. I have it on my card, i might go do that.

Metroid Prime Hunters still owns...unchallenged, undisputed.
    Call of Duty and Dementium can fight it out for runner up position.
    MOON, Bionicle, Bond...never quite got there but are worth a go...

CORE never stood a chance.

19. MyauChanDesu

Member MyauChanDesu Kamineko is GOD.

Australia
    I know right?

I remember this game being highly anticipated. lol

and it turned out like this, [​IMG]

20. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I wouldn`t say it is the same thing, since SEGA is a bigger company with teams working on different games and every team has strength and weaknesses. For example I expect better games from AM2 then I expect from SonicTeam (even though the structure of SEGA has changed a lot lately...). But 5th Cell is a rather small company so chances are the same people work, who previously worked on DTL now worked on Scribblenauts... But I though DTL was pretty decent and Scribblenauts looks brilliant from what I`ve seen so far.

@Topic: Framerate was not fast enough for me. Not worth playing it at that state, especially since I heard, that the developer "finished" the game back in November and hadn`t touched it till its release. They should have used that extra time!