Is Intel Kill?

• Total voters

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Intel is way behind AMD in the CPU market thanks to not putting out any new architectures and only "refreshes" of their previous architectures. Their retarded response to meltdown and their manufacturing issues leading to less than 50% yields on their new QLC Flash SSDs. AMD's stock has risen 177% this year, and intel is still stuck on 14nm while AMD is going to be releasing 7nm CPUs in 2019. I for one am really happy, because AMD has always been the better company, run by Lisa Su, the gorgeous genius who is going to bring AMD back to it's rightful throne. Though I am worried, is Intel actually kill? I need to know your guy's opinions on the matter

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"big" CPU companies have gone under before, however Intel have a serious amount of land assets, IP assets and fabrication facilities. They could also figure performance is not the thing to focus on and keep on with other things.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"big" CPU companies have gone under before, however Intel have a serious amount of land assets, IP assets and fabrication facilities. They could also figure performance is not the thing to focus on and keep on with other things.
Oh no, I don't mean totally go under, but lose it's spot as the best CPU manufacturer.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think things like Meltdown are going to hurt a lot overall, but it's also going to force them to do something.
Intel's too big to die so abruptly, but I do agree AMD is really stepping it up lately and becoming a great competitor rather than an afterthought. I've always liked AMD.

Absolutely. Intel has always been anti-competitive and largely pretty bad. They had to pay over a billion to AMD because during the years which AMD could have dominated the laptop market, Intel paid off laptop manufacturers to use their products instead. If that hadn't happened, AMD would be on top right now. I'm really glad that they're taking their rightful place again.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Intel is way behind AMD in the CPU market thanks to not putting out any new architectures and only "refreshes" of their previous architectures. Their retarded response to meltdown and their manufacturing issues leading to less than 50% yields on their new QLC Flash SSDs. AMD's stock has risen 177% this year, and intel is still stuck on 14nm while AMD is going to be releasing 7nm CPUs in 2019. I for one am really happy, because AMD has always been the better company, run by Lisa Su, the gorgeous genius who is going to bring AMD back to it's rightful throne. Though I am worried, is Intel actually kill? I need to know your guy's opinions on the matter

a) Intel isn't dead, far from it, it still leads the laptop industry, energy efficency machines (where most of their R&D have been invested for the last few years) and gaming enthusiasts (most games still favor clock speed over more cores);

b) It's natural that AMD stock risen (pun intended) so much as they were sinking hard before and now they are back in the game;

c) Yay for Rysen, but you should be happy for the competition, not the hypothetical downfall of Intel as if intel were to bankrupt or quit the race, prices would go up again as they did when Intel dominated the market just before, and inovation would stall in the same way;

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a) Intel isn't dead, far from it, it still leads the laptop industry, energy efficency machines (where most of their R&D have been invested for the last few years) and gaming enthusiasts (most games still favor clock speed over more cores);

b) It's natural that AMD stock risen (pun intended) so much as they were sinking hard before and now they are back in the game;

c) Yay for Rysen, but you should be happy for the competition, not the hypothetical downfall of Intel as if intel were to bankrupt or quit the race, prices would go up again as they did when Intel dominated the market just before, and inovation would stall in the same way;

I am very happy for competition. There's a reason why I dislike Intel so much :D

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Intel's been on top from 2008-9. The only reason it's 'losing' is because they aren't offering enough cores at a certain price point. Intel is still winning at single core performance. Imagine them making a 32 core one with HT to combat with Threadripper 2. There's no doubt who would win. But since that's hypothetical, I'm happy for AMD being able to be able to break that monopoly. I used to be team Red a few years ago but now I don't really care. All I want is for newer development so that everyone can prosper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans