Is initial NAND backup enough?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by lolboy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. lolboy
    OP

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Hi everyone,

I have NAND backup of my initial 4.1 and after each firmware update (without burning fuse) I backup my entire NAND again with the latest firmware. Would you recommend this?

My issue is storage. Each backup is 32GB.

2. clank

clank Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Antigua and Barbuda
    /dev/nvme0n1p1
    It wouldn't hurt to have a backup of the NAND on your latest firmware version, in case you accidentally burn the efuses. Right now, if that were to happen and your nand got messed up, you would be SOL.

lolboy likes this.
  3. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Do a nand backup for each major firmware update e.g 4.x 5.x 6.x

That way if something happens you can restore, also keep your very first one for if you go back to 4.1 for whatever reason :)

Store them somewhere save and have at least 2 copies of each e.g 1 on computer and 1 on a usb somewhere

lolboy likes this.
  4. lolboy
    OP

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    I always save two copies. Double the storage hehe.

5. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    You should make a backup each time that you come online with OFW and play to go again with CFW

6. Boomerams

Boomerams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, backing up your initial NAND and every other major iteration is a must right now, and, honestly, a major safety protocol that's good to practice at all's times anyway, unfortunately. From what I gather, from your initial post, just keep doing what you are doing as well as being extra careful during whatever future endeavors you and your switch happen to fancy into. Remember to always search and read and then follow the Golden Seven P's: Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

As for storage, I would recommend either upgrading your current storage, purchasing an external HDD or flash drive, or an online storage solution of some sort if needed. There are plenty of free online solutions that offer enough space for several of your backups and finding a cheap HDD or flash drive is rather easy these days. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Wasn't sure if I wanted to put this, but figured I would anyways to give you all the information.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AS I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT NINTENDO'S ONLINE FEATURES!! FURTHERMORE, I AM, CURRENTLY, UNAWARE OF THE IMPACT THIS MAY HAVE ON FUTURE SCENE RELEASES SUCH AS A COLD BOOT SOLUTION OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. ANY OUTCOME FROM YOUR ACTIONS AFTER READING FURTHER IS A PERSONAL PROBLEM.

You can, technically, still downgrade your switch even if the fuses are burnt BUT you would need to push a payload during RCM every time to get it to boot. Whether or not this effects anything in anyway is unknown and untested by me, but just figured I would give you what knowledge I have as I couldn't give a shit about burnt fuses. I only keep an initial backup of my NAND and saved it to several different places. If anything were to ever happen to my switch I could just Flash my initial NAND and RCM into ChoiDujourNX and update from there.

Last edited by Boomerams, Oct 21, 2018
    lolboy likes this.
  7. cyndor

cyndor GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    Compress it, it ends up being <1gb.

lolboy likes this.
  8. Puppydogpals

Puppydogpals GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Not if you have written to nand

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Well fck me sideways....

What about backing up the boot 0 and boot 1 guys... don't forget to back those up,
    Also backup your biskeys, and rawnand of course..

Need a backup guide here you go > Click

lolboy likes this.
  10. lolboy
    OP

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the hint. I have always backed boot files aswel. Those are very small.

Canna likes this.
  11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Hijacking thread :)...

Can we use TX backup method, is it as safe/good as Hekate?

12. lolboy
    OP

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    TX has backup?

13. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    I think it has, it says in update 2.0:
    I would really like to know if its 100% reliable or if we should still use hekate for the 1st time backup before hacking the console...

At least it seems they have a quick nand restore feature, I don't have SX OS and never entered RCM, but wanted to know about their backup\restore feature...