Is Google Working On Gaming Streaming Platform?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Apparently geforce now feels like it's running right on the computer itself. I can also say liquidsky got me through a few months before I could afford a nice new PC, and there was less input delay than expected. It works, it just has a niche market. Also, streaming isn't the worst way to play games, the Sega activator is. Yeah, look that shit up.

hurrz likes this.
  2. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Oh god.
    I wish I had known about streaming when I had my old mac. Crappiest PC ever. It had 2 GB of ram, probably like an i3, and I'm pretty sure it also had integrated graphics. also macOS, so, yeah, there's that. luckily now I have this pretty good PC now, I think I'm gonna install solus on the old mac.

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I know you've already got your answer, but here's my summary: Rather than your local device crunching numbers and rendering visuals, some server does the actual rendering. What you get is essentially just compressed video and your device just has to be powerful enough to decode video quickly.

Requires quick internet for your button presses to not create noticeable lag. Personally, it seems a bit weird to me.

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  4. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Whatta ya know? Exact same problem Origin has.

No wonder both failed.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Can't wait to see Google censor gaming as much as they censor every other aspect of their company. I wish them the worst, so I hope that they pour millions of dollars into the thing and that it collapses into a pile of rubble shortly afterwards, much like Google+.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    So...they're just gonna buy up a bunch of gaming IPs or what? Because AFAIK Google doesn't own anything worth streaming, let alone games worth buying.

7. amrod

amrod GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2004
    Canada
    I'm guessing something with Chromecast, there is like 55 million of em sold

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  8. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    hurrz, sks316 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I've heard these sort of bold statements before. Back when 56k modems were the default, online gaming was also "the worst way to play games and will always be.". That 'always' turned out to be about five years. Slow connections, it blocking the phone line (this was before cell phones, mind you), dropped connections...as those problems got fixed, online gaming grew from a retarded gimmick into a staple feature of gaming.

I do agree, though, that streaming games isn't up to snuff for current connections right now. The downstream is fairly okay (video streaming is already there), but gaming not only requires a fast connection in both directions (you want to send your input to the server) but can't operate on a buffer either. Those are problems. And if we're talking about AAA-titles - and if the service is going to be successful, they'll pretty much HAVE to do that - then the amount of data being transferred isn't small either. But I won't write off the possibility of it being a success. It just depends on how well the average connection is...or will become.

hurrz and sks316 like this.
  10. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    I really hope this isn't the beginning of the future of gaming. I can see it though as games as a service continues to be pushed and the demand to play anywhere increases.

As someone who can feel the lag in lower quality bluetooth mice and game controllers, I would never get on with a game streaming service.

Giodude likes this.
  11. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I can't imagine this being the future of gaming. I don't think these platforms are meant to be used permanently as a PC or console substitute. They also aren't meant for people who are that sensitive to things such as input lag. They're casual. They're meant as a precursor to something such as a PC or console. Now psnow on the other hand.... I don't know who's the target demographic.

12. Lazyt

Lazyt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oh god not another ouya

13. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    But that wasn't....

14. awesomehero

awesomehero Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2010
    United States
    Funnily enough you could have saved that 20 bucks by sideloading the Ouya store on an Android device. Honestly I can't imagine Google making console hardware, seeing that they technically did that over three years ago with the ADT-1 and Nexus Player. The ADT-1 was essentially for developers who wanted to optimize their app/game to work on Android TV, the Nexus Player was a commercial Android TV product with less powerful specs than the latter.

15. 330

330 Banned

Banned
    Nov 20, 2017
    Nauru
    Comfy nest
    What if it were both?

Wasn't there a PS4/XBox One game that used optional cloud processing power to make building collapses more realistic? Maybe that's what Google could aim for. They could make just one console every decade and it would still be supported.

16. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    iOS is just as bad for having shitty f2p games with in app purchases.

17. sks316

sks316 GBAtemp's Mewtwo™️

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Cerulean Cave
    Hey, mobile developers have to make a living somehow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice