Is buying a tablet really worth it?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Just Another Gamer, Nov 6, 2012.

?

Is getting a tablet worth it?

1. Yes. Its a must have choice.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No. I don't see the point of it.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I don't care.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Nov 6, 2012
  1. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I'm curious since nearly everyone I talked to was very happy with their tablet purchase and suggested I should buy one as well but I never really saw the point of getting one since i'm happy with my phone and from what I see everything you can do on a tablet I could easily do on my phone. Not asking should I buy one or not but I kinda want to see some other opinions about it.

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Depends on the phone you have. For me, I'd rather do everything on a tablet, but I'm still not getting one, but it'd be perfect for my parents. They don't have smart phones, and they don't want to go on the Data plans. So getting a tablet so they can just browse facebook, craigslist etc. is perfect.

3. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think it's worth it, but not a definite purchase. Tablets are just really fun imo, and can be quite useful at times as well. Tablets, imo, are also for just lounging around and browsing the web or streaming content in ways more comfortable than a laptop.

4. unz

Member unz Chaotic Neutral

Australia
    I've had a 10" android tablet since the start of this year. It's wifi only.
    I mostly use it for playing gta3, streaming online video, checking the weather forecast and tv guides.
    Unless I use a bluetooth keyboard, posting on forums and writing emails with it is terrible.

I still use my notebook PC more. Tablets are fine for consuming content, but they really suck at creating it.

5. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Stealing a tablet is also not worth it. Don't even

jonthedit likes this.
  6. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    It really depends. Tablets are more for those who have hate small screens or just prefer Wi-Fi Only.
    I'm happy with my iPad for iSteamNet and GTA3

7. aaronz77

Newcomer aaronz77 Advanced Member

United States
    I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for about 8 months. I love it for everyday browsing, listening to audiobooks reading comics and general phone stuff. lol I'm sure you could get away without this gadget. Just a larger nicer phone for me. I use the hell out of mine.

8. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Most people I know that have a tablet just use it to read books or browse the internet. Unfortunately they are big sized smartphones not small or portable PCs.

EDIT: This could be different with the new Windows 8 Tablets but I've never seen one.

9. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I use mine every second. It was worth it, but I wouldn't say it's a must have. I bought it to browse the internet, watch videos, read comics/manga, and to get away from the computer.

It also seems to be good for drawing. Note taking I haven't tried yet, but a keyboard and supernotes app may work.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Tablets are great for digesting information. Browsing the internet (mostly read-only, not foruming), viewing youtube videos and such, reading documents, sharing images without having to crowd people around a computer or tiny phone screen... Tablets are a fantastic way to share/display/view information.

However for making things, they suck.

11. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    If u want a smartphone with a huge screen minus the phone, go for it. I don't see the point unless u want it for the larger screen to read ebooks and watch videos. Kinda pointless use of money imho.

12. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    if you want to buy tablets, may i suggest the note series? it have a pen and a really nice short note taking apps with its pen, then you can pair it with the keyboard dock
    the surface might be a bit better at making long documents though, since it have MS office and other windows app

13. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    depends what you want to use one for. I got one just for simple things like reading emails, light web browsing, some videos, kindle etc. If I wanted to do some proper work like writing up a document etc I would go to the laptop straight away.

14. kingcolex

Member kingcolex Joe "Coop" Cooper

United States
    If your thinking about it and think 7 inch screen would be good, i would suggest a nexus 7 only 200 dollars and the hardware is awesome. If your looking for a true tablet expierence go for a nexus 10.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I've got a 10" tablet, and there are times I wish it was smaller (7" sounds good) for watching youtube in bed and stuff.

However web browsing on a 10" is easier, as well as using the on-screen keyboard (it's like typing on a netbook).

16. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I don't really mind using a 7 inch one since I tried it before and it feels pretty good but to be honest if I did have I would only really be watching anime and playing video games on it since I could really do alot of these things on my phone without problem.

17. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nexus 7 is not that great for anime. It can't play my 1080p movies (redline, summer wars) and there are graphical glitches when you use hardware decoding on some 720p releases.

It's watchable though

. Screenshot_2012-11-07-14-15-13.png Screenshot_2012-11-07-14-14-46.png

Attached Files:

18. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Depends on varying factors such as if a tablet upgrade will be relatively more powerful than your phone. I got my Nexus 7 as more of a replacement to my netbook. I love my cheap netbook but the battery is crap, and I really wanted touchscreen controls for the type of applications I use. Also while a physical keyboard is great, it's not very good for using while laying down, it gets hot holding it (obviously different machines will have different temps/fans/etc,) keyboard is hard to see laying down which is another advantage of an on-screen keyboard, or even a USB keyboard plugged into a tablet (easier to touch type, because my trackpad kept interrupting my keystrokes.) The 7 inch form factor of my Nexus 7 tablet is truly portable, fitting in my pockets much more than I thought it would. I originally wanted a 10 inch, but I'd rather keep the 7" in my pocket rather than 10" in a backpack.

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    if you prefer a phone to do everything you are best of getting the 7" or a galaxy note 2, they both work as well.

20. kingcolex

Member kingcolex Joe "Coop" Cooper

United States
    This shouldn't be happening are you running all four cores and using mxplayer?

Hikaru likes this.